Page 1 of 4
hey guys ihave a 98 marshall dsl100 drake transformers made in the uk all that good stuff....

you can see my gear in my sig...but there something missing....i've been gettingi nto some hardcore eric johnson lately and im trying to get a smooth distortion....i originally bought this amp because i play thrash metal...so i was like ok cool...but now not really that much. all my shit has changed completely.

My question is what are your opinions on th gain structure of this amp?

Maybe something to do with my guitar? (ill be much more happy)
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Hey man, my buddy plays a very similar rig to yours. What exactly is your problem?

You've dialed in a sound you like and then one day it sounded different?

Your having trouble dialing in a new sound your hoping to get?
Yeah its something with the gain, when i listen very closely its like....supposed to be less "choppy so to say?" loves the playability of the guitar etc...but whenever i want to get a lead that i just smooth the gain comes out like...jagged? i know the amp is very good (i back off the gain when playing at high volumes etc..etc...) i dont feel anything though.

might be those f'in emg's
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Whens the last time and WHAT tubes do you have? I know on my buddies he just switched em out and it made a huge difference in the gain/tone of the amp. He is running a tube screamer as well, the TS7 and has it setup for chuga chuga stuff. Low Gain, High Volume settings. Is your EQ in the loop? If so you could try to add a bit of a mid spike to it for when you solo. Like, make the sad face kind of curve with it to give a little bit of a boost.

Also, im pretty sure their is a common MOD for that amp to alter the gain charactoristics of it. I cant help you their but maybe google search DSL100 MOD or something?

Im guessing you might just be wanting new tubes tho.
winged C's el34 in power and groove tubes 12ax7 in the preamp. So....idk...i think the pickups just suck at this point...its not there there isnt ENOUGH gain its how the gain IS.

EDIT: i already do the EQ thing as a solo boost....i usually use that when playing with a drummer and or guitar player.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Last edited by GoodOl'trashbag at Feb 6, 2012,
I have 81's in my guitar and my buddy is using blackouts in his. We swapped guitars just to see how much different they sound and i swear his blackouts seamed, clearer maybe? I dunno, i hate to say that cause i really dig the 81 but my next guitar will have a blackout because of that little test.

We are playing in drop C tho which i;ve heard the blackouts accenuate the lower tunings.

Are you using the 81?

Here is a link on those MODS i was referring to.

http://www.marshallforum.com/workbench/13424-dsl-joey-mod-thread.html
No there the 81tw(b) and 89(n) and i think i need some duncans i just did a gain test with both lead channel and crunch channel...its seems they almost have the same structure...? which i know is not true...to the amp....its like its full shred or its clean..there is no in betweens it seems like..and those in between tones is what im looking for right now
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Appeal?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Hmmm, his will go from clean all the way to metal with some great crunch in the middle. What about pickup height? have you tried lowering them a tad? I havent heard the 81tw so dont have any advice on it..

you might wait for someone else to chime in too, it may be a matter of just swapping out and playing around with other preamp tubes. he is always swapping them around. I know he has several brands in his.
Start with the volume dimed and using the gain as your volume. You gotta play that sucka LOUD. I'd try pulling two power valves too (the two inner or the two outer ones) and switch the impedance selector down one notch. And play it LOUD. I can't stress that enough - gain down, volume up.
Gary Moore often toured with DSL's instead of his JTM's and he got mighty close. Loud - that's the key, friggin loud. If you aren't scaring the little old lady living next door you're doing it wrong.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah guys i get the loud thing. i play it loud all the time hahaha. i told u its not how much gain its just how it comes from the amp. I can get a crunch its just that its not what i want. Ill be replacing the pups with a screamin demon in the bridge and a jazz in the neck.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Try pulling two power valves. It won't make it much quieter but it will make it get nice power amp crunch at lower volumes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you're wanting an Eric Johnson sound, you will need a Butler Tube Driver and a Fender Stratocaster with single coils. Run the amp with some dirt, but not too much. Loud is important. You will also need a tape delay or a tape delay simulator. Look at the Strymon El Capistan.

Even Eric Johnson is still chasing his own tone. Good luck.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i can pull 2 power tubes?! that would be great i like that crunch without having it to run over halfway?

i know watts doesnt equal volume but eric uses 50 or 100 watt depending on venue size.

will this require re biasing?

you got my attention
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
It's just not that great of an amp. Definitely not a high point for Marshall.

FWIW, I've gotten a few through the shop with general complaints about the amp being uninspiring. Modding is the way to go to get better tones out of it.
Not sure if you want to go in this sort of direction with your tone but if you are looking at smoothing out your distortion for something a little silkier, maybe try some compression, it will help you in that area if its dialed in right...
Bogner Uberschall
Ubercab&recto oversize
LTD EC1000 Deluxe
LTD Viper 1000 Deluxe
Ibanez RGT
Jackson Warrior
i have a compression pedal.

someone explain to me about this power tube pulling

And its a great amp i totally disagree its uninspiring...it has great potential
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
And its a great amp i totally disagree its uninspiring...it has great potential

Well, it doesn't hold a candle to its lineage. I definitely would take it over a JCM900, but compare it to the iconic Marshalls and it very much pales in comparison.

Case in point: You're wanting to get a smoother distortion out of it. It won't deliver on its own. You're not alone in your dilemma. It's just not a great circuit out of the box, and needs to be modded or band-aided in some other way to deliver the goods.

But I agree it has potential. With some mods it does well.
Quote by surjer
Sure ya can. Cathbard wouldnt stear ya wrong!

Too true.

What the article is saying is that you"ll be sending double the impeadance to your speakers, so you need to turn your impeadance switch down one notch. If it's normally set to 8, switch to 4, if it's normally at 16, switch to 8.
I explained all that in my first post about it. I'll reiterate.

Pull the two inner ones or the two outer ones
Switch impedance selector down one notch
Play

That's it. Nothing else to it. You can check the bias if you like but it'll be fine as long as it was ok before. Guys used to pull 'em in and out all the time without doing anything else. Half the time even while too drunk to remember to change the impedance.
Most Marshalls have pretty beefy transformers and you've just dropped the power you are sticking through it in half anyway so you have a buttload of room for error.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ok so what if its normally at 4 lmao

i have a 4x2 stereo avatar cab. i run 2 speaker cables into it from the parallel jacks of the amp.

1 cable is 8 2 is 4. so how would i do it now...?

i cant go to 2 ahaha
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Hold on just a minute here.

If you're looking for an Eric Johnson sound, you are absolutely not going to get it out of an amp alone. Regardless of what amp it actually is.

You need a Butler Tube Driver and a strat, as well as a tape delay.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Hold on just a minute here.

If you're looking for an Eric Johnson sound, you are absolutely not going to get it out of an amp alone. Regardless of what amp it actually is.

You need a Butler Tube Driver and a strat, as well as a tape delay.

C'on...
He doesn't need EJ 's gear to sound like him...
EJ tone is in the fingers and in the use of the volume and tone knobs of his strat...
I have also seen Schecter hellraisers nailing cliff of drover's tone...
What you MIGHT need is a speaker change...
If you have V30 sell em...
Get greenbacks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXfb9PHxqHw
Quote by blackie13
C'on...
He doesn't need EJ 's gear to sound like him...
EJ tone is in the fingers and in the use of the volume and tone knobs of his strat...

Right, you just need Eric Johnson's fingers, then.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
no jesus people.
its a 4x12 straight cab with celstion ROCKET 100's (:if that clears things up hahaha.

enough with the sarcasm already?

EDIT: i dont want HIS tone i just want something smooth eric johnsony-like
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
no jesus people.
its a 4x12 straight cab with celstion ROCKET 100's (:if that clears things up hahaha.

enough with the sarcasm already?

EDIT: i dont want HIS tone i just want something smooth eric johnsony-like

If you're serious about the speakers, change those out. Assuming that the Rocket 100's are the same as 50's, those speakers are pretty bad. You might consider some new speakers.
no there not bad speakers at all
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
I'm not following how you are wiring it up. It should be a fairly easy matter to reconfigure it to something greater than 4 ohm. What is the impedance of each speaker, the wiring topology and so on.
Please explain.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
speaking if its a 2x12" for example

if you have 4 ohm it is probably two 8 ohm speakers ran in parallel leading to 4ohms.

if you were to wire in series you double the impedance of the speakers so two eight ohm speakers would put you at 16 ohms.

pull the outer tubes, dial impedance to 8 ohms and you are good to go.

oh shit its a 4x12. open the back and tell me what impedence the speakers on them. the sign for impedence is the greek omega. get back to me.

also, those speakers are not very good sounding speakers. i have heard them before, i would recommend 2V30's X-patterned with either two green backs or two t75's depending which way you want to go.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 9, 2012,
If it's a 4x12 at 4 ohm then it will be four 16 ohm speakers in parallel. So if you were to wire them up as series/parallel you'd have 16 ohm then you'd dial up 8 ohms on the amp after pulling the tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
hold on let me explain further....

its a 8 ohm STEREO cab....meaning it has 2 inputs at 8 ohms a piece....i put the amp to 4ohm and plug both in (parallel jacks on the amp)

Its like 2 2x12's glued together.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
So it's exclusively stereo? No mono option?

If so you'll want to rewire it in series/parallel for a mono input of 16 ohms.

Then you can run your amp with two power tubes with the impedance switch set to 8 ohms.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Srsly try with a compressor. Gain down, volume up, then start twisting them knobs on your compressor. It's basically built to smoothen your sound, even it out...that's what these things usually do
uhhh i aint no amp tech and im not re wiring anything. hahaha

It's fine i have my own solution.

non master volume amp
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
You seriously telling me that something as simple as wiring up a few speakers with such a simple circuit is beyond you? Seriously?

If you turn the master volume up to 10 and use the gain as your volume you effectively do have a non-MV amp. Pull two tubes and you have a 50W non-MV amp. Isn't that exactly what you want?
And to achieve this with what you have all you have to do is series up the two sockets on your current cab, pull two tubes out and flick a switch. And you plan to buy a new amp instead?

I don't even .........

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100