So as of late I really haven't been cranking out too many riffs. I just pick up my guitar and everything just turns out " meh ". Really uninspired, honestly. I know my scales well enough to work my way around riffs and understand how they sound together, but that just really doesn't seem to do it.

My main inspiration has just been some old school death metal types, I hear the double bass going and whatnot and I get pumped up, I can feel it when I listen to it, but then as I said, I get to my guitar and it turns to " meh ". I lose it.

So I've been thinking getting together with some other dudes and jamming. Maybe I just need a drummer or other guitarist to get the juices flowing.

Thoughts and junk on how you get past it?
i learn new songs, or even just find new music to listen to.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
You pretty much answered the problem you're self, jam with some buddy's the other instruments will help get the "juices" going once the warm up is over try cranking out a few rifts and see how it goes.
once you start making bad riffs, you're done. you're tapped out. nothing to do but quit.

if you can't make perfect music 24/7 you're obviously not made out to be a real musician.
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
once you start making bad riffs, you're done. you're tapped out. nothing to do but quit.

if you can't make perfect music 24/7 you're obviously not made out to be a real musician.

funny. lol i hope thats just sarcastic BS. but i get the same thing sometimes. i just try to listen to and learn more songs. playing with a decent band usually helps too. its all about changing your routine, trying new stuff.. everything gets boring eventually.
Quote by BoringUsername
So as of late I really haven't been cranking out too many riffs. I just pick up my guitar and everything just turns out " meh ". Really uninspired, honestly. I know my scales well enough to work my way around riffs and understand how they sound together, but that just really doesn't seem to do it.

My main inspiration has just been some old school death metal types, I hear the double bass going and whatnot and I get pumped up, I can feel it when I listen to it, but then as I said, I get to my guitar and it turns to " meh ". I lose it.

So I've been thinking getting together with some other dudes and jamming. Maybe I just need a drummer or other guitarist to get the juices flowing.

Thoughts and junk on how you get past it?

I know this might not be a perfect idea, given your aesthetic and paradigm, but perhaps you might try writing something that isn't a riff. Put together a chord progression, or perhaps write a complete melody that doesn't cycle every 1, 2, or 4 measure(s).

Also, Hail is 109% correct.
You might could use some double modals.
A musician is his own worst critic anyway. Let the criticism come from other people.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Hail

there's a LITTLE bit of truth to this, actually. but it doesn't mean you should give up. it means you should train more.

you should learn theory and train your ear. maybe even learn to read music. there's a lot i can learn by just sitting and looking at the score of a symphony. things i can even apply to a hip hop beat if i had to.

i'll be frank, because you don't gain much if i sugar-coat the answer. getting together with a few buddies and cranking out riffs isn't really going to do much for you. you need to put some study and effort into it.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
there's a LITTLE bit of truth to this, actually. but it doesn't mean you should give up. it means you should train more.

i was being sarcastic
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
i was being sarcastic

i wasn't.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.