I can't play with a metronome at all, I have been trying for about a year and I still can't do it. Also I have been working on Green River by CCR for about the same time and I still don't feel like I'm getting better at it. I know most people would be a lot better than me after a year, I'm just really slow. I just feel like I should be able to play one song perfectly after a year.
Quit playing the one song, broaden your horizons... and It took me years to play with a metronome... don't beat your self up.. Playing guitar is supposed to be fun... Find something to play that's fun, and play it...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Agreed, start simple and work your way up. A lot of the time I'll struggle with a song or certain part so I walk away learn something else and when I come back, wham, I can play it with a little practice.
No one is good, everyone sucks. We all just suck to differing degrees ones you realize this you will feel slightly better.......

Then you realize it amounts to the same thing

Jokes aside

It's as Papa said play more varied music, you can't expect yourself to progress that fast if you're bored with what you're doing. Playing other songs will force you to try new things and get you excited to play again, once you come back to the song after a month or so you will be amazed at the difference you notice.

Also make sure your playing more then an hour a day, 2-3 is ideal and 3-4 times a week if you can manage. If you're playing only one hour a week even if it's daily your essentially just keeping yourself from getting rusty and not much else.
Quote by TheWhaleFetus
I can't play with a metronome at all, I have been trying for about a year and I still can't do it. Also I have been working on Green River by CCR for about the same time and I still don't feel like I'm getting better at it. I know most people would be a lot better than me after a year, I'm just really slow. I just feel like I should be able to play one song perfectly after a year.

Seriously... yes, you do suck. The great thing about guitar, and just about everything else in life, is that it's not a permanent state if you don't want it to be.

The real problem here is that what you're trying to do isn't meeting up with your expectations of what you should be able to do when in all truth, there is no should. There are no conditions that add up to what you should be able to do because everyone learns at different rates.

Keep practicing and I promise: you might suck now, but you won't later.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Learning to use a metronome - um, get tux guitar/ guitar pro, play the song real slow with the built in metronome.

I suck too haha, but when I have a hard time at a song, I try to do exercises of the technique, for example I couldn't up to speed the galloping of a (noob) song so I practiced triplets everyday and then I went back to it and I could (sorta?) do it relaxed. . Green river has many bends..

I think, thinkin that you suck is also good. My classmate always reminds me of how much I suck for my own good. Whenever I'm proud to learn or can't learn something he calls it very easy. Hahaha. But I think it's very good. It motivates me more. It's like a fire. I want to suck less than I do hehhe > he even named my guitar NLC (no leaf clover) because he says i have no luck in studying guitar, and my hands are too small, and i love the name > I WILL BECOME LESS NOOBISH !!~~ i mean, i progress really slow, but as long as i progress, its good because it's improvement
In your case I think a teacher would be highly beneficial. If you work on something for a year I think it shows your persistence. Some people might progress without a teacher just fine(slower than with a capable teacher mind you), but if you don´t have a certain set of tools like basic rhythm feeling and some ability in using your ears, a teacher is inevitable if you don´t want to waste your time.
Quote by TheWhaleFetus
I can't play with a metronome at all, I have been trying for about a year and I still can't do it.

It's hard to sub-divde at first. Don't beat yourself up over it. Just start with whole and half notes. Soon your mind will automatically know where the click is and you'll find it second nature. Then you can start on quarter notes, eighth notes, and eventaully sixteeth notes. I would have the same trouble as you if I didn't play Violin when I was younger and my teacher didn't distill timing in my head all the time. Sometimes just put the metronome away though and tap the beat with your foot.

Another thing that can help is tapping your foot along with music, then your body starts to develop a natural time keeping beat away from the instrument.

Also I have been working on Green River by CCR for about the same time and I still don't feel like I'm getting better at it.

Have you tried stepping away and learning something else? Sometimes it's best to walk away from the song you are trying to play and try another. You should never aim towards 100% mastery when learning songs for practice. If you are gigging it's different, but in just a practice situation in the bedroom, aim for note definition. You want each note to be defined. That's what seperates the boys from the men. You hear a lot of bedroom shredders, but are the notes defined? Not really. You want to aim for "Did that note have meaning? Did it have context? Could I clearly hear that note? Can I play that note without any problems?". If the answer to all those is yes, you now have defined that note. It has a place and a reason for being there.

Try expanding to other artists. Even if it does seem "stupid", try something that is below your level of playing. After you learn the song, try adding your own things to it to bring it up to your level of playing.

And one final tibbit, I think I'm quoting this from Zaphod himself off this forum, if so he'll probably reply back saying so If you are finding a song is to hard or not hard enough, theres no inbetween songs, you need to start writting your own material to challenge yourself.

Cheers,
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by Xter at Feb 7, 2012,
EVERYBODY sucks at one point. I'd reccomend playing along to a recorded version of the song at first as opposed to a metronome. I never started using metronomes/click tracks until I began doing studio work. I just would play along with recordings, and play along with really great drummers and other musicians who really had great timing skills. This way I just learned to "feel" songs and not worry about flopping out of time. Don't worry if you're not as good as you want to be right now. Use that as a motivator and push yourself to get better!