I kinda felt like a chump when I found out how low the resale value of my ovation is, but I was able to find someone who wants to trade for this:

http://www.takamine.com/guitars/classics_hirade/c132s

Now i'll be fully clear that i don't necessarily want a classical guitar, but I'm thinking it will be a good step towards a guitar that I do want (i'm not exactly sure what guitar that is yet, but i figure i can keep trying to trade up until i find it)

Are there any skeletons in this guitars closet? I know classical guitars are harder to find buyers for, but at this point I want anything except the vintage guitar that i thought was going to get me into a higher end guitar but is somehow worth less on the used market than a laminated yamaha.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
The C132S has a very solid reputation. Many teachers often recommend these to their students.

I did a quick check, on the used market, it appears that in good to very good condition, they go around $400, you may be able to get slightly more if your willing to sit on it for awhile.

Since you have another steel string, it may not be a bad idea for a straight up trade, providing that the Tak is in very good shape. If you decide to trade, be aware that you should really only play it fingerstyle, even with it's gloss finish, it with show pick scratching after awhile, devaluing the guitar.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
I've never understood how i always find higher prices. I looked and looked and only found the ovation being sold for 5-700$, in worse condition, but the "book value" is 250. Same with this, i've only found them used in the 800$ range.

I think that since i'm from canada the internet inflates all prices so i won't realize how badly i'm getting taxed compared to the rest of the world.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Well, I'm coming to you next time I want to buy a new guitar!

I've also been offered this...I think it would be easier to resell, but it's an hour and a half away

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/seagull-33515-.html
Quote by stepchildusmc
After checking for about 10 minutes (any longer and I'll have to charge you a "consultants fee" ), saw one used one that sold for $500 and some used for sale in the the 750 to 800 range, but, since these aren't as common as that Tak, you need to spend more time looking at craiglist, ebay, etc. to get a feel for the market.

I have never bought guitars with the intention of reselling them for profit, if your going to try it, and I don't advise it because of the numerous pitfalls you can encounter, I recommend you proceed with caution. Never rush in to buy, take lots of time, learn all you can about the particular models you are interested in, constantly sift through used listings to get an idea on prices and watch for pricing trends.

I once waited over two years for a certain vintage model at the right price to show up, after the combined efforts of myself, a friend, and a vintage guitar dealer that I used once before as an agent and who's evalution I absolutely trust, we finally got the guitar I was looking for. The main idea I'm trying to get across to you is to have lots of patience before you make a purchasing decision.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Last edited by BlackbirdPie at Feb 7, 2012,
I'm not necessarily looking for a profit, i'm either looking for a guitar that i'll be likely to keep or a guitar that i could more easily trade towards a guitar i'll be likely to keep.

I started out with an epiphone SG that cost me 50$. I've taken a couple bad trades (bad in the sense that I didn't really trade up) but i've taken more good ones...at one point I had about a dozen guitars that cost me less than a grand in total.

I've sold most of those and made a fairly good profit, but I didn't buy them with the intentions of making a profit, It was only after I realized I wanted 1 nice guitar instead of 8 crappy ones that i got rid of them.

I guess it's a hobby, or maybe an addiction. But If i can buy a used guitar, play it for a while, clean it up and set it up nicely then pass it on and make a couple bucks, or trade it for another guitar that's worth a couple bucks more, I don't see any harm in that. Makes me glad i'm not dating anymore, apparently i fall in and out of love very quickly.
Quote by stepchildusmc
does that mean your NOT taking me to the prom this year mike? i already shaved my legs and picked out the nicest corsage. do you like the O? if so just keep it. you don't seem to keep em long enough to need a string change. with patience the O is still worth 700 US. theres a similar one sitting in the local music shop thats at 750 and someone has a deposit on it. i myself can't seem to let myself get rid of any of mine( i really DO need 3 of the same guitar just in different colors).
I just don't like how it sounds...it has no low end to it, which i originally attributed to it being a semi-acoustic that was meant to be amplified. I've since discovered that it is in fact meant to be an acoustic guitar, and that the original owner added an aftermarket pickup to it.

It's old, it looks great, and it's in great shape...If I was a collector i wouldn't ever get rid of it...but until I get a guitar i'll be happy with, or until the wife increases my allowance it's going to get recycled like all the others before it and probably a few more to come.
Quote by stepchildusmc
geesh, you trade guitars more than i trade blondes..... maybe. Uncle Mehoff would be proud.
Quote by mike_oxbig
I'm not necessarily looking for a profit, i'm either looking for a guitar that i'll be likely to keep or a guitar that i could more easily trade towards a guitar i'll be likely to keep.

I started out with an epiphone SG that cost me 50$. I've taken a couple bad trades (bad in the sense that I didn't really trade up) but i've taken more good ones...at one point I had about a dozen guitars that cost me less than a grand in total.

I've sold most of those and made a fairly good profit, but I didn't buy them with the intentions of making a profit, It was only after I realized I wanted 1 nice guitar instead of 8 crappy ones that i got rid of them.

I guess it's a hobby, or maybe an addiction. But If i can buy a used guitar, play it for a while, clean it up and set it up nicely then pass it on and make a couple bucks, or trade it for another guitar that's worth a couple bucks more, I don't see any harm in that. Makes me glad i'm not dating anymore, apparently i fall in and out of love very quickly.

I kind of figured that you meant trading up, and as to profit, I have nothing against it, as a matter of fact I love it, just not when it reaches the corporate greed level.

There is certainly no harm in trading up, as you say it can be fun and you get to try lots of guitars, but to me, it seems that if you have your heart set on a certain guitar, then constantly trading to eventually aquire it, could be a very long path, involving lots of time and effort.

Hopefully you get what you want, and in the meantime, you can look at it as an educational experience. Good luck.