Poll: Do you fall out with someone if they are a racist?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you fall out with someone if they are a racist?
Yes, all racists are scum
49 28%
No, they can have their opinions
50 28%
It depends who the person is
79 44%
Voters: 178.
Page 1 of 5
I ask this because of thinking about these comments i've seen from time to time, around here about how a parent or similar doesn't like, Obama for instance, based on his race. 'I don't trust that Obama guy, he's black'. And similar.

Often with people i've known too they've said their parents are somewhat racist in their views at times.

But this got me thinking, is this something that makes you dislike a person? Obviously most of us dislike racism but does it ruin them for you? Would you fall out with a friend if they had some racist views? How about someone in your family, like a parent? Would you put up with it but be annoyed if it comes up ? How about a girlfriend or boyfriend?

Btw, for the purposes of this thread i am not extending this kind of racism to full on attacking or openly insulting other races and all that. I'm talking about someone who is generally seemingly pleasent but in their own home to a close friend or whatever they'd occasionally say some racist remark, as in the example. Lets assume that you find out someone is racist too, same applys.

Poll soon, when i figure out what i'm going to add as options
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Feb 7, 2012,
I am a rascitist. I hate all rascists.
جورجيا الاباحى؟ أيها
I know very few people that are actually racist, and usually the ones that are I already know are stupid so I just don't talk to them in the first place. It's not like I just discover that someone I know well is racist, most people I know are better than that.
My best friend used to say a lot of racist things so I told him to grow up and stop doing that so he did.

true story
Depends how racist. If it's something like "I don't trust that guy" or crude comments about their race, I normally chastise them. Though I fell out with someone recently because they went on a rant about how Aboriginals were a filthy inferior race, how the White Australia policy was justified and how she understood why Hitler conducted the holocaust.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Smelly east Indian people have hairy women. Is it wrong if I say that and I'm Indian too? I don't think so.
Nah I don't hate em. Ppl say crap sometimes just to say it. Or sometimes its just a joke that went too far but I never take it too seriously. Unless some guys up in my face throwing rascist crap AT me.that's where my line is drawn.
Quote by dann_blood
Depends how racist. If it's something like "I don't trust that guy" or crude comments about their race, I normally chastise them. Though I fell out with someone recently because they went on a rant about how Aboriginals were a filthy inferior race, how the White Australia policy was justified and how she understood why Hitler conducted the holocaust.

In the first example, they probably do have some level of racism there more than what is being said just for saying 'i don't trust that guy' and so on. Would you fall out with them over that or just hassle them about it when they say it?
Racism jokes I don't care about. However if someone says racist things and means it I do have second thoughts about being their friend
e-married to Jack (bladez)
I've got too many german friends to fall out with rascists.
I poke fun at minorities all the time, especially asian drivers.
I also make fun of my own people (wagon-burners).

But yes, I had to bring an end to it with one friend, he was all neo nazi anti jew and blacks. Not cool.
Quote by The Madcap
Depends. If it's someone with some slightly racist tendencies, no. If it's someone with radical beliefs then yeah.

this

Although it's hard to think about really given that i've never had the experience of knowing a true racist. I doubt i'd be able to hold much respect for someone with such retarded views though.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by Zoot Allures
In the first example, they probably do have some level of racism there more than what is being said just for saying 'i don't trust that guy' and so on. Would you fall out with them over that or just hassle them about it when they say it?

Aye, it tends to be a reflection of a deeper subconscious belief. Normally I tell them to cut it out, so they do, but occasionally someone argues because they think it's not racist. Either they listen or they don't, and those that don't I distance myself from. I've got a close circle of 8 or so friends - the rest are still friends, but not in the same way - and from that group i'd say two tend to be racist, though neither of them say those things openly among the group.

The father of one of those guys is, imo, an absolute cunt; a racist, sexist, prejudiced pseudo-intellectual fool who refuses to listen to anyone unless they agree with him. My friend is very loyal to his dad, and even though he has differing opinions and knows that his dad is often wrong he'll be incredibly defensive about it and takes quick offense over criticism of anything his dad does. It's obvious that my friend's taken after his father in a few respects, especially with certain beliefs, and he tends to back down when challenged, or shifts the conflict to another topic. When we do argue, he comes away saying he understands the criticisms and where he's wrong, but I think he doesn't often accept. So ultimately he probably still holds the beliefs because of the exposure to them via his family, but he's wary of getting into arguments in our group over something that's so easily put down.

The other friend is a moron, so any time he gets rebuffed he has no counter-argument.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Last edited by dann_blood at Feb 7, 2012,
I've had friends who weren't proper racists, but had deeply ignorant ideas about immigrants.

I like to think I didn't mind because they were misinformed by tabloids and idiots rather than being actually prejudiced, but there's every chance I just couldn't be arsed.
Last edited by whalepudding at Feb 7, 2012,
I don't trust Obama because of his politics, I'm a Republican in the Abraham Lincoln, Ron Paul sense. But as for racism itself, I'm not sure if its actually possible not to be racist, for example my roommate( 同屋 is from China, and I frequently ask him to explain 中国 (China) to me, and I take what he says about Chinese culture and apply it, in general to other Chinese people (真的中国人, 不在美国长达人), I have nothing against Chinese people, but I take my friend as an authority on Chinese culture, and I believe our cultures are different..... so I'm really not sure where the line between being interested in other cultures, and being racist begins......
Is it considered racist if you have more trouble shooting someone white over someone non-white?
My go-to dealer is a white supremacist, but we don't take long hot showers together or hang out or anything.

I'm not racist myself, but I'm also not afraid to acknowledge the differences between races. And I use the word nigger in a totally different context than most people.
When they start saying stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1TTxj2q6eE&feature=related
Or, 'Fuck off we're full' 'We grew here, you flew here' 'Coons just live off the government' etc. I think you need to have a talk about it. A few little jokes here and there I'm ok with. I have a lot of mates from different countries/cultures and there isn't anything too sinister about it, although some people do take them a bit far.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
I don't mind if someone says racist things or jokes and stuff like that...if he's going to act on it, then I don't want anything to do with him
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Nah, just so long as they aren't racist against me.

I will fall out with someone if they are overly sensitive though.
Quote by Dory77
When they start saying stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1TTxj2q6eE&feature=related
Or, 'Fuck off we're full' 'We grew here, you flew here' 'Coons just live off the government' etc. I think you need to have a talk about it. A few little jokes here and there I'm ok with. I have a lot of mates from different countries/cultures and there isn't anything too sinister about it, although some people do take them a bit far.

Mama says when coons get in our yard we have to chase them away with broom sticks
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Quote by W4RP1G
Nah, just so long as they aren't racist against me.

I will fall out with someone if they are overly sensitive though.

QFT.
I don't think I'd fall out with them but I'd probably call them out on it. It's actually caused a lot of arguments at home because my mum is a closet racist and I call her out on a lot of the shit she says.
🙈 🙉 🙊
My nan doesn't like or trust Muslims.

Do I dislike her for it? No; she's 85 and she's a bit too old to try and change her mind.
Quote by fender_696
My nan doesn't like or trust Muslims.

Do I dislike her for it? No; she's 85 and she's a bit too old to try and change her mind.

1. Get some guy of the same race as your nan to stage a mugging.
2. Have a Muslim guy "save" her from the mugger.
3. ?????????
9. PROFIT!!!!!!!
I wouldnt fall out with someone who says racist things even if I dont agree with them. Its free speech and I cant say anything other than "I dont like what you are saying." I will only stop associating with the person if they try and "convert" me to their ways.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
My grandfather is a racist, but I don't give a damn I still love him.

So yeah it depends on the person.

edit: And how is hating muslims racist?
Last edited by ninnipinni93 at Feb 7, 2012,
Quote by ninnipinni93
My grandfather is a racist, but I don't give a damn I still love him.

So yeah it depends on the person.

It isn't.

But my proposed plan is spot on, no?
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']1. Get some guy of the same race as your nan to stage a mugging.
2. Have a Muslim guy "save" her from the mugger.
3. ?????????
9. PROFIT!!!!!!! She also has the early signs of dementia. All efforts would be futile I'm afraid.

EDIT: Not saying distrusting Muslims is racist. More how she is old, from a different generation and has prejudiced views, but it's got to the stage where I simply just accept it.
Last edited by fender_696 at Feb 7, 2012,
It makes me respect them less, but I don't shun them.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by fender_696
She also has the early signs of dementia. All efforts would be futile I'm afraid.

Ah, dude.

I know that feel, my grandmother has tried to kill me twice when I came to check her meds.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']It isn't.

But my proposed plan is spot on, no?

She would probably get a heart attach at 85 though
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Ah, dude.

I know that feel, my grandmother has tried to kill me twice when I came to check her meds. Yeah. Combined with my granddad's glaucoma (he's basically blind) they're quite a pair; sat in their respective chairs, watching old Western film and moaning about Muslims.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Btw, for the purposes of this thread i am not extending this kind of racism to full on attacking or openly insulting other races and all that. I'm talking about someone who is generally seemingly pleasent but in their own home to a close friend or whatever they'd occasionally say some racist remark, as in the example. Lets assume that you find out someone is racist too, same applys.

I think racists are all scumbags and I think most people would agree with that. It just comes down to your definition of racist. I'd define it as a 'belief in a superiority of a particular race' so if a person makes an off-hand 'racist' remark that he doesn't really believe in, I wouldn't consider racist in the least.

It's sorta like how Louis CK uses the word 'faggot' and 'nigger and no one considers him a homophobic racist
Quote by ninnipinni93

Because muslims are often attacked based on their racial and certain cultural characteristics.
Quote by Vornik
No, i probably respect them more. Shows they can actually speak there mind.
Quote by The Madcap
Depends. If it's someone with some slightly racist tendencies, no. If it's someone with radical beliefs then yeah.

Agreed with this guy, and it also depends on how close I am to the person.
Page 1 of 5