Have you ever gotten into a new musical artist that influenced the way you do anything musically? I mean after having done whatever(guitar, drums, vocals, etc) for a while, then getting into something and noticing... hey.... I'm starting to play like this guy. And also, whether it was actually a good influence or not.

I've been singing for a good few years, while slowly getting better at it by myself. Once I started listening and singing along to Jeff Buckley, it sort of changed the way I controlled my voice. Definitely for the better.
Yea that's right, I want something to explode

I've been deaf, now I want noise

LOUD LOVE
SatrianiSatrianiSatrianiSatrianiSatrianiSatrianiSatrianiSatrianiSatriani
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Adam Lambert made me do whatever I could to sing higher, bar castration.
Bach basically changed my entire perception of how music can be oriented, as well as introduced the concept of meaningful architecture in musical form. Him, along with Brahms and Wagner, demonstrated to me how to totally manipulate tonal harmony using every chromatic possibility. The entire German line of composers has made the biggest impact on me in every way. But Debussy, Ravel, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Bartok, Vaughn Williams, and Hindemith helped expand my palette for tonality/atonality, new colors and timbres, more imaginative and blurred orchestration, freedom from the squared rhythms and phrasings of common music, and approaches to modifying classical forms.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I listened to vai once, now i can't get my hand off my whammy bar...
Tosin Abasi.

I wish.
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
After listening to Doppelganger by TFOT I tried to ape Thomas Erak's style for a while. But then I got more interested in textures in music.
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
these two bands have influenced me in music and life in so many ways. R I P
Ramones
(Invalid img)

Sublime
(Invalid img)
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Scott Walker is a recent one. He's made me realise melody isn't as necessary as I'd thought, that people don't need ideas constantly thrown at them and will stick with something relatively uneventful if they know it's going somewhere, and made me want every chord progression to be drawn out and tense like the ones in Sleepwalker's Woman or Patriot (a single).
Last edited by whalepudding at Feb 7, 2012,
Elliott Smith recently really improved the way I go about writing songs, chord sequences in particular.
Quote by slayersweet666
Elliott Smith recently really improved the way I go about writing songs, chord sequences in particular.

Just remember that stabbing oneself in the chest, although a good strategy for developing a cult following, is detrimental to one's well-being.
The Strokes and RHCP for me. More specifically John Frusciante.

Taught me that you don't need to shred or be the best guitar player to write amazing songs. The Strokes' Is This It is my favorite album of the 00s and one of my top 5 all time, and often there aren't even solos in those songs. They just have so much emotion and when I listen to a select few they change me physically and I get shivers down my spine.

With RHCP and John Frusciante, it is more of the same. Playing with emotion. His solos and songs in general are so simple to play, yet carry so much weight and feeling. I'm just listening to the Californication solo right now and he just knows when to hit which note exactly when, when to let go of the bends, etc.

I've listened to guys like Satriani and Vai and to me they just seem like guitar robots. They can play every note perfectly and write crazy shredding songs that I could never come close to, but they bore me.

I'd rather play guitar like Nick from the Strokes or Alex from Arctic Monkeys than someone like Satriani. He has guitar skill, but to me, lacks songwriting skill.
Gibson SG Special - Tony Iommi pickups
Martin 000CXEBLACK acoustic/electric

Lefties Unite
IS THIS IT?
Quote by Jettski1
I'd rather play guitar like Nick from the Strokes or Alex from Arctic Monkeys than someone like Satriani. He has guitar skill, but to me, lacks songwriting skill.

*cough cough*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffx9BudbOdQ&feature=related

I strongly disagree
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Jake Kiley of Strung Out, great punk guitarist.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
It's pretty apparent that Slash is my biggest influence, beyond that there is a lot of Gary Rossington in there. Most of my "heavy" riffs sound like James Hetfield from Early Metallica, which makes sense because I don't listen to much "metal" but them and Pantera. In all honesty though when people hear my play I rarely get a Skynyrd/Metallica reference it's always a Guns one -_-.

It's always funny to me because sometimes you're influenced by an artist via them influencing another artist. For instance, after I listened to so much GN'R and naturally ended up trying to emulate Slash, I went through the Aerosmith discography and found out he was pretty much a Joe Perry emulate, so in a way...Joe Perry is evident in my playing too haha
Last edited by Nirvana_RATM2 at Feb 7, 2012,
Matt Bellamy foremost. In the way I write music.

Then Paul Gilbert, gave me more control over my playing.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Oasis. Although, in an indirect kind of way...
I started playing with this band that were heavily influenced by them and really got into Oasis as a result. Once I started really listening, I found myself playing around with stuff that fit with their sound more.
Mr. John Coltrane has influenced almost every part of my playing(except for the instrument I play maybe, lol)
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

John Mayer made me change my style completely, used to be more chilled out simplistic Jack Johnson style. But of course like everyone I obviously look up to Satch, Trooch and ll those guys.
Tool and System of a Down greatly shaped my writing style while I was growing up, then Cloudkicker, Meshuggah and Devin Townsend took over.

People always say that my singing style sounds similar to Maynard's, so maybe that's what's stuck with me the most.
Stevie Ray Vaughan got me into blues. so naturally I tried to play like him.. now im starting to sound more and more like Joe Bonamassa..
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Kamelot made me more seem to play more fills while mudvayne taught me to be a complete mentalist with basslines
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
When I used to listen to a lot of Porcupine Tree I'd notice a few Wilson-isms slipping into my solos occasionally
Brann Dailor from Mastodon was the first artist who I ever noticed significantly affecting my playing. I've always admired his style of drumming and a lot of it seems to filter into my playing. Same goes for Deron Miller from cKy/World Under Blood for guitar playing. A lot of bands influenced my songwriting, but in particular I'd say Queen and Devin Townsend.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
It's pretty apparent that Slash is my biggest influence, beyond that there is a lot of Gary Rossington in there. Most of my "heavy" riffs sound like James Hetfield from Early Metallica, which makes sense because I don't listen to much "metal" but them and Pantera. In all honesty though when people hear my play I rarely get a Skynyrd/Metallica reference it's always a Guns one -_-.

It's always funny to me because sometimes you're influenced by an artist via them influencing another artist. For instance, after I listened to so much GN'R and naturally ended up trying to emulate Slash, I went through the Aerosmith discography and found out he was pretty much a Joe Perry emulate, so in a way...Joe Perry is evident in my playing too haha

Wow.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
There's an obnoxious amount of people that influenced my guitarring

However when it comes to my Trumpet, Maynard Ferguson tore open the door and left brain matter everywhere. Then I heard Miles, Dizz, and that guy that plays the Late Show. Al Hirt was another good one but I could never nail that Flight of the Bumblebee
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
The main artist that pushed me towards the music i make now would be brian eno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrZYP8SzlN8
Brahms has always been a big influence, mostly on tonality and those wonderful, wonderful chords.
Quote by Xiaoxi
But Debussy, Ravel, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Bartok, Vaughn Williams, and Hindemith helped expand my palette for tonality/atonality, new colors and timbres, more imaginative and blurred orchestration, freedom from the squared rhythms and phrasings of common music, and approaches to modifying classical forms.

Pretty much this, except substitute Stravinsky and Prokofiev for Sibelius <3

Been listening to a shitload of shoegaze recently too, I'm sure that will come out in my future music.
and my guitar playing sounds like nick drake meets vini reilly meets thurston moore, not a concious effort, but they are some of my favourite players.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Feb 7, 2012,
Giraffes? Giraffes! have had a huge effect on the way I play, compose and even look at music.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.