Hi!

I've recently started taking guitar lessons on a non-regular basis after around 5 years of very casual playing on classical and electric guitar (although I don't think I'll be continuing taking lessons from him due to his lack of patience.)

Since my teacher made some specific comments about my technique i've become more conscious of my technique in general, and so I've come to find many little faults in my technique.

So how do you get rid of bad habbits?

If the method you're going to suggest is playing very slowly and attentively so I can re-cultivate better technique habbits, please answer these questions:

1.Assuming I'm determined to take the path above, wouldn't I have to practice abstinence of playing anything else or in any way other than the slow, consious and correct technique excercises?
I would think I should, because wouldn't playing in any other way, as in going back to my bad old habbits even for a short amount of time, re-cultivate the bad habits I've been trying to get rid of?

By the way, I'm new here and this is my first post. So hi!
"Yeees I am your god!" John Petrucci, Phsyco excercises
A couple months ago I corrected my alternate picking technique because I had a habbit to lift my fingers to high of the fretboard and I practiced so slow to correct it and looking to reduce fingers movement and pick movement, but I wasn't playing slow all the time. in a practice session I started sooooo slow and increasing speed slowly, and when I reached the speed when my fingers start to fly high again, I would slow down again and over the days I could speed up more and more and realy increased my speed that way and corrected technique at the same time.
But during that time when you were playing slowly and correctly in order to "fix" your technique, did you allow yourself to play the way you were already used to (the bad way) outside of practice sessions? how did it affect the progress you had already made in practice sessions?
1.Assuming I'm determined to take the path above, wouldn't I have to practice abstinence of playing anything else or in any way other than the slow, consious and correct technique excercises?
I would think I should, because wouldn't playing in any other way, as in going back to my bad old habbits even for a short amount of time, re-cultivate the bad habits I've been trying to get rid of?

You can keep playing normally - as long your practice time is spent on focused improvement, your bad habits will gradually disappear.

If you want to get rid of them super fast, by all means just don't play at all until you've got rid of them, it's up to you.
Quote by Freepower

If you want to get rid of them super fast, by all means just don't play at all until you've got rid of them, it's up to you.

This.

I wasn't playing songs and anything that needs alternate picking, just scales and licks which I used to correct technique. Beside that I was practicing legato and tapping with the same aproach (to reduce finger movement), and that made correcting process much faster.
^
Apparently, you joined in '11, so you're pretty new here.

Join date means very little. I know of '06ers who are idiots and '11ers who are awesome and give good advice. Sort by content, not join date.
^ he's actually not referring to post quality - the OP has said he's new and it's his first post here, but he's had an account more than 4 years.

(there are tab features for accounts, so that's not as odd as it might seem )
Ok I'll bite my lip and do this.... I really really hope to go through it fast, because my tolerance for anything not strictly musical on the guitar is low....

And yeah, FreePower had it right. I actually had to search my email to find the username.
Oh and FreePower, your videos that cover all the aspects and opinions on certain techniqes (such as right-hand psture) are really great!
Quote by Freepower
^ he's actually not referring to post quality - the OP has said he's new and it's his first post here, but he's had an account more than 4 years.

(there are tab features for accounts, so that's not as odd as it might seem )

Whoops. Completely missed the last line of the OP.

/Derp moment
Quote by Avielp
Ok I'll bite my lip and do this.... I really really hope to go through it fast, because my tolerance for anything not strictly musical on the guitar is low....

And yeah, FreePower had it right. I actually had to search my email to find the username.
Oh and FreePower, your videos that cover all the aspects and opinions on certain techniqes (such as right-hand psture) are really great!

Thanks man, just pay it forward when you get the chance, I learnt everything from people who took the time to show me.

You can keep practising musical stuff while correcting bad habits, you just have to do it really slowly. If you're concentrating on note quality then you can get a lot of musical enjoyment out of it.
Quote by Freepower

You can keep practising musical stuff while correcting bad habits, you just have to do it really slowly. If you're concentrating on note quality then you can get a lot of musical enjoyment out of it.

Thanks, you might have save me with that.
I might actually even improvise...slowly. Focusing on the right technique of course. I might even get some slow phrasing practice with that too. Yeah your article about phrasing helped inthuse me further on that subject, though I won't focus on that or anything else till the basic foundations of my technique are fixed.