Page 1 of 2
I have been experimenting wearing my guitar low like you see people like slash or zakk wylde. I have always been use to playing sitting down with the guitar on my right leg horizontally. I have found that when I wear it low while standing up it angles the strings against the pick too much and the tones just goes downhill from there. Anyone experience this?
Then wear your guitar higher...?
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
if that's happening, don't wear your guitar so low.

it only looks cool if you can play it properly.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
you will probably get used to it unless its way too low. maybe lower it a little bit at a time so you can gradually get used to it low.
IMHO, it's just a bad right hand technique, nothing catastrophical, it can be fixed by practising. Because, no matter the height, the right hand should lay firmly on the saddles (without pushing the bridge, though), plucking the strings in the same - ideal - place, at the same angle every time. If it does not, your palm muting isn't correct. Try to watch carefully videos of Zakk or Slash and look at their right hand.
I wanna play my guitar slung low cos i think it looks cool but its too much of a sacrifice cos i **** it up a lot more often so its just not worth it. Play whats comfortable not what looks cool.

No one will think anything bad about you for wearing your guitar at your waist (or higher) if you dazzle them with mAd sKiLLz!! but everyone will think youre a tit if you have it down past your knees and cant play for shit
Quote by adambauman31
you will probably get used to it unless its way too low. maybe lower it a little bit at a time so you can gradually get used to it low.

This
Quote by LivinJoke84
I wanna play my guitar slung low cos i think it looks cool but its too much of a sacrifice cos i **** it up a lot more often so its just not worth it. Play whats comfortable not what looks cool.

No one will think anything bad about you for wearing your guitar at your waist (or higher) if you dazzle them with mAd sKiLLz!! but everyone will think youre a tit if you have it down past your knees and cant play for shit

In my experience only a few guitar nerds will think its ok to wear the guitar high if you dazzle with mad skills. Most people in the audience only care for performance
I know what you mean.
It's worth noting though, that although Slash and Wylde have their guitars slung low, they are also re-positioning their body a lot to compensate for this. The finished product being a cool pose and low slung guitar.
In adjusting their bodies like this too, they are positioning the guitar in a place that is easier for them to 'dig in' and get that tone back.
they both also prop the guitar on their left leg a lot for solos.
Quote by Facecut
In my experience only a few guitar nerds will think its ok to wear the guitar high if you dazzle with mad skills. Most people in the audience only care for performance

But what im saying is its better to sacrifice 'looking cool' so you can play the damn thing rather than trying to look like Peter Hook and messing up half the notes. I think someone who doesnt know the first thing about guitar will notice if someones just messing it all up.

The general recommendation is that you have it at the same height as when you sit down which, when you look, is pretty damn high!
Quote by LivinJoke84
But what im saying is its better to sacrifice 'looking cool' so you can play the damn thing rather than trying to look like Peter Hook and messing up half the notes. I think someone who doesnt know the first thing about guitar will notice if someones just messing it all up.

The general recommendation is that you have it at the same height as when you sit down which, when you look, is pretty damn high!

Yes, thats why I think one should be practising standing a lot. And I think about waist high is reasonable.
Quote by LivinJoke84

never sacrifice tone for"looks" play how your comfortable. Yes you will get used to having a guitar hang lower. There are plenty of ripping guitarist that play higher:

Tom Morello
Luke Hoskin & Tim Millar the guys from Protest the Hero
John Petrucci
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 7, 2012,
Of course not, tone is priority No 1, don´t lower the guitar live until your tone is good that way.
Quote by iidunno
I have been experimenting wearing my guitar low like you see people like slash or zakk wylde. I have always been use to playing sitting down with the guitar on my right leg horizontally. I have found that when I wear it low while standing up it angles the strings against the pick too much and the tones just goes downhill from there. Anyone experience this?

You're not sacrificing "tone"...you're sacrificing your ability to play the thing properly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You're not sacrificing "tone"...you're sacrificing your ability to play the thing properly.

Zakk Wylde, Michael Romeo, Paul Gilbert.....Not playing properly in your opinion? Its more difficult but nothing that can´t be learned.
Quote by Facecut
Zakk Wylde, Michael Romeo, Paul Gilbert.....Not playing properly in your opinion? Its more difficult but nothing that can´t be learned.

I wasn't aware that any of those three people started this thread.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Facecut

He was saying that the TS is not able to play properly with the guitar low.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
it feels so stupid to play low anyways though. i mean seriously, what is the point other than looking cool, plus it seems bad on ur wrists too? I think i am just going to keep it like in the middle of my body. it seems like its in the middle range of the "cool range" and "nerd range" lol.
I thought seagull was generally speaking, my bad. If he is not generally speaking what is his point though? Any conclusion for the TS?
Last edited by Facecut at Feb 7, 2012,
my point is that I have found wearing the guitar low makes the guitar more at an angle which obviously would make the strings more angled against the pick and it sounds like my tone is not as crisp and clear as it is when I am sitting down practicing. when i sit down the guitar is 100 percent horizontal.
Some people are comfortable playing with their instrument slung low. Others practiced that way until it got comfortable for them. You could adjust your picking angle to make up for the angle you play at while slinging low. Or just get over it and accept that the picking angle changes.
That is too low. It just looks retarded. And I feel the tension in my arms and my back just by looking at the picure...
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by iidunno
my point is that I have found wearing the guitar low makes the guitar more at an angle which obviously would make the strings more angled against the pick and it sounds like my tone is not as crisp and clear as it is when I am sitting down practicing. when i sit down the guitar is 100 percent horizontal.

I know what you are talking about. If you want to play in front of audience and wear your guitar lower just decrease it step by step and practise standing. It is a good thing not to be too dependend on a very particular situation. In my first 6-8 years my play was super dependend on my guitar, my sound and my position. There was not much left if I had to use a different setup or an unfamiliar guitar. I improved a lot in the process of gaining independence from that.

James Hetfield can pull it off, but it kind of looks weird if you're having to hunch over to hit the top frets. Works for James because he rarely plays solos.

Aside from him, I always thought really low slung guitars look a bit silly.

Have your guitar at the height you sit at, then loosen it off a bit from there. That's what I do at least. If you try and play with it around your ankles then your hand's gotta adapt to playing like that. Having to relearn how to play just to have your guitar low doesn't really seem too productive.
James Hetfield is an excellent rhythm player, and he seems perfectly able to play with his guitar slung low - but does he look relaxed?

He also plays a nice Zemaitis V...
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by BigSmokeDawg

James Hetfield can pull it off, but it kind of looks weird if you're having to hunch over to hit the top frets. Works for James because he rarely plays solos.

Aside from him, I always thought really low slung guitars look a bit silly.

Have your guitar at the height you sit at, then loosen it off a bit from there. That's what I do at least. If you try and play with it around your ankles then your hand's gotta adapt to playing like that. Having to relearn how to play just to have your guitar low doesn't really seem too productive.

Good example for the hight I think is perfect. Right hand in front of your balls.
Never thought hanging a guitar by your balls was cool. To me it makes you look like "hey guys, wanna hear my power chords? it's sick yo." Not to mention how uncomfortable it is. No one hangs their guitar like that because it's natural. It's because for some reason they think it makes them look cool.
It helps to know the neck well enough to not have to look at it while you are playing. It's also important to have a guitar that you are extremely comfortable with. ....but if you have to sit and play to get a good tone, do it instead.

Putting your image first will have you wasting money on guitars and gear that are not suited for you and also have you with injured with time. The Bass Player from Flyleaf wears his Bass slung low and even jumps off of full stacks in the middle of the shows. That guy must have the strongest back in the world..lol
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
I've actually always thought playing with the guitar up high was harder(I find it impossible to play bass like that). I'm not very good anyways, but I find playing it like a Beatle is just as hard as, if not harder than playing with it between your knees. xD I keep it just about hip-level.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
When I hear guitar slung low...I think: Drop-C 4/4 lol
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Guitar lower=harder to play=more challenge=more fun.

That.

Why would you deliberately make a guitar harder to play? Surely you want it to be easier so you can play your best?
I know it sounds stupid to a lot of people, but i feel its more gratifiying to know that i can play as good in a harder condition.

Who the best, the one who reach the top of the Everst in a helicopter or the one in bare feets?

Also, more challenge=more fun.
I play my guitar up high. I simply can't play it at all if it is lower, and I have a severe nerve problem in my wrist so that makes it even harder.

Place the guitar where it allows you to play. If people don't like it, they can go to hell.
My guitar sits ever so slightly above my hip. Makes playing easy.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Mine is just a little above wait level, if I lower it any further then I cannot fret properly, I don't get a good enough stretch range and I won't be able to sweep pick. I would love to be able to play it just a little lower.
Page 1 of 2