Page 1 of 3
hi everyone well soon i would get a head amp and i can choose if to get a 4x12 cab or a 2x12.

so i was thinking to get a 2x12.

so its possible to make a enough sound for a gig with a 2x12 cab?

Thanks in advance
Quote by ozcar95
hi everyone well soon i would get a head amp and i can choose if to get a 4x12 cab or a 2x12.

Thanks in advance

Definitely get a 2x12. Easier on your back and they're only going to mic one speaker most likely anyway.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

If you're getting mic'd, and its a decent house PA, you can get away with almost anything. I was at a gig one time and the guitarist had a small Krank practive amp mic'd. Didn't sound bad by any means.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
that's not a horrible cab by any means.

there may be better options in your used market.

egnater cabs are decent on the cheap too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
that's not a horrible cab by any means.

there may be better options in your used market.

egnater cabs are decent on the cheap too.

yeah, i would take a look of the egnater cabs
also i saw that it only have 8ohms or 16ohms, can i connect any amp head i want? because the one i have it goes 150w at 4ohms, so it would be ok?
That's not a bad cab, but it's not a particularly good cab either. The used market is really the best option, you can generally get 2x12 Mesa or Orange cabs for 300-400 bucks. I bought a 4x12 Mesa cab for $400 bucks that would have cost $1000 new.

As for 2x12 vs 4x12... 4x12s sound bigger and are easier to hear since the speakers aren't aimed at your ankles, but they're expensive hard to transport and hard on the back. 2x12 is the way to go. Two 2x12s is even better
yeah but its only my first stack so im choosing something not to expensive and at the jet city seems good, also looked a bugera 2x12
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/bugera-212v-bk-2x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet/502587000001306

or even a Blackstar 2x12 if i save a little money
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/blackstar-venue-series-htv-212-160w-2x12-guitar-speaker-cabinet/423773000001000
Last edited by ozcar95 at Feb 7, 2012,
Quote by ozcar95
also i saw that it only have 8ohms or 16ohms, can i connect any amp head i want? because the one i have it goes 150w at 4ohms, so it would be ok?

What amp are you using? Pretty much every tube head will have a switch to change what load it's expecting.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by icronic
As for 2x12 vs 4x12... 4x12s sound bigger and are easier to hear since the speakers aren't aimed at your ankles, but they're expensive hard to transport and hard on the back. 2x12 is the way to go. Two 2x12s is even better

Moniters are for that!
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by DarthV
What amp are you using? Pretty much every tube head will have a switch to change what load it's expecting.

mhhh im not using a tube amp.
its an Ibanez Tbx150h, its only my first head amp.
Quote by cliff_em_all
Moniters are for that!

The amp is your monitor. It's best to keep as much out of the foldback as possible.

I like 4x12's but that's mainly to make it easier to work feedback and it lifts my rack up to a convenient height. If you stick a 2x12 on a milk crate you'll be fine. I've played many a gig with a 2x12 combo. You just gotta get them off the floor.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hell, I play gigs with a 1x12 on a plastic box with no micing, a 4x12 would be considered overkill. A 2x12 is more practical.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Quote by ozcar95

Thanks in advance

The Bugera is a closed-back cabinet. Has vintage-voiced speakers (Greenback clones maybe?)

The Blackstar is an open-back cabinet. Has V30-voiced speakers.

The JetCity cabinet is a convertible-back cabinet. Has Eminence-voiced speakers (and an emulated Out -- very cool).

You're going to do just fine with any of those -- depending on the type of music you play. If you're not familiar with how the different backs affect your tone, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaL-wMlbds (he does sound very well, so the video is actually useful)

If you don't mind going used, there are lots of options out there. Avatar is a great way to go (a little spendy unless you find them on the used market, in which case they can be found for around $200ish).
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
It all depends on the situation. You can play almost any size gig with a 2x12, though a 4x12 will project sound out better, and as Cathbard said, you hear more from the amp itself instead of you monitor (this is especially good if you are a vocalist who needs to hear himself, like I am). 4x12's are more practical than 2x12's if you are playing semi-large venues or outdoor shows, but if you are just playing in a cover band in small basement bars, a 2x12, or even a 1x12 is more than enough.
I have a Mesa 2x12 that I use at home with my 6505 and I love it, next show we have I'll be running a 3/4 stack to see how it sounds. I highly recommend Mesa or Orange, I got mine for 300, you can find the deals.
I gig regularly with an Egnater Tweaker combo. 15 watt 1x12.

For the record, more speakers =/= more volume. A 2x12 will be more than enough.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Make your cab selection based on the following. The size of the venues you think you will be playing in, also indoor or outdoor. The quality of the PA equipments sound. In small clubs < 50-60 customers you will regularly find that a small 15 watt to 30 watt amp to be sufficient with 1 12" speaker. < 15 watt amps are ok if mic'ed into a good PA system. Also remember that a 15 watt tube amp is louder than a 25 watt solid state. In most small clubs if you wheel in a 4x12 cab they'll look at you like your a nut. A 2x12 is a good solid choice for an all around cab make sure it can handle your amps rated output plus about 50-75 watts. What speakers you put in the cab depends on what type of music you play.

I went to a club that had a house band it was not a large place probably 40-50 people max. The guitarist used a tilted back blues junior un-mic'ed for most things and had a 50 watt 4x10 bassman as a backup. They sounded just fine. Ultimately when playing different clubs and venues it's going to be the time spent during your sound check (if you even get one) that determines just what you need to use.

Overdoing it is not good sound. Case in point I went to a club to see a band on a friends recommendation. Band has more amp equipment than necessary for the club IE a full stack for the bass guitar player and another full stack for the lead guitar player and yet another full stack for the rhythm guitar player all with at least 100 watt amps all with a PA system that was way overkill. Came on with amps dimed right off the bat. People left in droves because it was just too damn loud. It pissed off the staff of the bar too because while they were playing you couldn't order a drink because you couldn't scream loud enough to be heard.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Feb 7, 2012,
In summary of everything said so far;

Buy a 412 if you can't afford a pair of milk crates or like the stage presence of having a big wall o' speakers.

Buy a 212 if you are a sensible person.
yeah and well the problem for me of the 412 is the transportation, in this moment i don't have anything to take it to another place.
And with the 212 i have at least some mobility and i can take to any other place with ease.
The Bugera is a closed-back cabinet. Has vintage-voiced speakers (Greenback clones maybe?) The Blackstar is an open-back cabinet. Has V30-voiced speakers. The JetCity cabinet is a convertible-back cabinet. Has Eminence-voiced speakers (and an emulated Out -- very cool).

Im going to play metal, so which one of the three would be good??
Jet City for the closed back for metal. If only it had V30s.

I will say, the Spider Valve cabs are pretty excellent IMO for cheaper cabs.
--

--
another thing about it, if i run a head that runs 150w at 4ohms, it would't be any problem if i connect it at 8ohms??

i asked that because i don't know much about the ohms
Keep in mind that some speakers don't work very well in any configuration but 4x12 (greenbacks) because of the loose bass response, so speaker choice will play a role in cab selection and vice versa.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by ozcar95
also im gonna combine it with a Ibanez TBX150h (dont discuss ANYTHING about the head, only the cabinet please)

What's the point in discussing cabinets at all with such a crappy amp?

You might as well run your Toneblaster into a toaster oven, it's still an overgrown practice amp that sounds like shit.
Use the toaster oven element as a resistive load!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

And then he could make toast while he plays!

TS: I strongly advocate this.
--

--
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Could this really be made to work? It would actually be pretty cool to own a load box that cooked stuff at the same time. You could pretty much toast bread by playing guitar. That would be cool.
well yeah that amp sucks but well its the only amp i can afford and i could go for a tube amp also i could save some money for a BETTER half stack, the only think about the tube amps its about changing the tubes also i dont have any experience with tube amps

I have a main idea to buy a Bugera 6260 and a 2x12 cab
Quote by ozcar95
well yeah that amp sucks but well its the only amp i can afford and i could go for a tube amp also i could save some money for a BETTER half stack, the only think about the tube amps its about changing the tubes also i dont have any experience with tube amps

People act like you have to change tubes every day

Power tubes will last you about a year to two years, even more depending on play time. Mine usually last me about a year and a half, and that's gigging every other weekend, sometimes multiple shows a weekend.

You'll be much happier with a nice combo than a halfstack. I gig with an Egnater Tweaker 15 combo. I have no problems being heard, and the other guitarist uses a VT100 or whatever those VOX modelers are.
--

--
Typically, if you're playing a venue big enough where a 4x12 cab would be beneficial for sound projection, they're going to mic your amp anyway. A 2x12 will be fine.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

Dammit tubbs, you're too damn smart for your own good sometimes.

Reminds me, once tried to get a competition going to see who could fit the electronic guts of a pedal into the most ridiculous enclosure possible....a stuffed toy was the winner, I think

Quote by ozcar95
well yeah that amp sucks but well its the only amp i can afford and i could go for a tube amp also i could save some money for a BETTER half stack, the only think about the tube amps its about changing the tubes also i dont have any experience with tube amps I have a main idea to buy a Bugera 6260 and a 2x12 cab

Why would you knowingly buy something that sucks?

Here's a super-secret tip that I've definitely never seen before on this forum: instead of getting a horrible crappy solid state half stack, and get yourself a badass little valve combo instead.

I'm going to take a punt and guess from your age that you're around 16/17?
You see, I've seen a ton of younger guys buy stacks because they look cool, and then slowly grow to realise how crap they actually sound....as well as getting fed up of how heavy and cumbersome they are.
Even with a 2x12, getting your rig up a flight of stairs can be a total pain in the ass. Often a stack can be easier since it splits the weight, but usually a 1x12 combo (or mini-head and cab) is the wisest option if you don't have dedicated transport.

How much have you got to spend?
yeah i have 16 years old.
but also i don't choose anything because its cool.
also i dont have paypal to buy on ebay (that sucks) so i can only buy at Guitar Center or MusiciansFriend

i only have 500 usd to spend but im thinking to save a little more.
Look around locally for a used 5150/6505 combo.
--

--

Quote by Ian_the_fox
Do this.

for me its ok
Last edited by ozcar95 at Feb 8, 2012,
Quote by ozcar95
for me its ok

Have you been reading the suggestions? There's a lot of good info above.

Maybe I missed it, but what style of music do you play? My post above (and at least one other) covered closed-back versus open-back. Did you check out that video?

I don't know, just doesn't seem like we're getting much feedback from you on this thread...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Page 1 of 3