ok, heres the story guys.
a few months ago i got a Gibson P94 Bridge Pickup for my les paul studio and i really liked the tone but there was a bit of extra hum that would go away when i touched the input jack. naturally, you'd assume that its a grounding problem. since i have no experience with a soldering iron and i dont own one, i took it to my local guitar shop and the owner (who previously installed it) had a look and asked for me to bring the original pickup to check whether he problem was the grounding or how he installed the pickup.

when he gave back the guitar, both pickups started humming and the P90 was extremely quiet and had no sustain. i couldn't hear it on the clean channel and it was completely unusable with distortion because of the extreme amount of noise. the neck humbucker was quieter because its a humbucker so i use that pickup for now but i dont like it in the first place and its still noisy anyway (Gibson 490N).
Its my only guitar and i love it but i currently cant stand playing it.

here are some pics, hopefully you can spot the problem:
Attachments:
photo 3.jpg
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
Sounds like you have an idiot for a tech. Seriously, swapping pickups is so easy for anyone with experience. And what is all that tape? Initially I say yes, you were right, the bridge wasn't grounded. Is this an epiphone? My brother had an epi les paul that the bridge wasn't grounded when it was new (the wire wasn't jammed in there properly. Sounds like a bad connection or a short of some sort on the bridge pickup. As for the noise, sounds like the shield came disconnected or something. If this is the only tech you got, time to learn to DIY. Take a multimeter and set it to ohms. It should read near zero ohms between the strings/bridge and the output jack for starters.

EDIT: Just noticed it looks to be a real gibson...
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Sounds like you have an idiot for a tech. Seriously, swapping pickups is so easy for anyone with experience. And what is all that tape? Initially I say yes, you were right, the bridge wasn't grounded. Is this an epiphone? My brother had an epi les paul that the bridge wasn't grounded when it was new (the wire wasn't jammed in there properly. Sounds like a bad connection or a short of some sort on the bridge pickup. As for the noise, sounds like the shield came disconnected or something. If this is the only tech you got, time to learn to DIY. Take a multimeter and set it to ohms. It should read near zero ohms between the strings/bridge and the output jack for starters.

EDIT: Just noticed it looks to be a real gibson...

Thanks. He said that another tech is coming in a week and that I should bring my guitar back then but I just wanted to know what UG thought the problem may be.
I can't bring myself to get to angry at him cos he was my guitar teacher for quite a while (a good one) and he's a really nice guy.

He just brought in a les Paul standard and a rory Gallagher custom
Shop Strat so I'm sort of impatiently waitin for the day that I bring my guitar in so I can try them out.