Any body have any really effective tips for smoothing out time? I've been playing 11 years and I still have issues with keeping the time straight. It's infuriating, and it makes me have to constantly avoid long streams of (swung) 8th notes in my playing, overcompensating in other areas. I've spent plenty of time with the metronome, but there's still a slight kink every few notes or so. I know it's not that I don't have an innate sense of rhythm, as I can vocalize in perfect time. It seems like it's just some sort of muscle control issue I can't get over.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
I just keep count in the back of my mind and keep track of the rhythm, then again my band is
Mostly players with less than 2 years playing so our timing can get messy. But my rhythm guitarist is like my brother and we make note of eachothers styles and habits so that helps.

So if you already tap your foot and all that jazz you may give that a try, your not always in a situation where you can hear the rest of the band or tap your foot to keep pace so I think it's handy thing to know.
Yes, if you're in a band situation, either look at the drummer from time to time, or really listen to the snare, especially if you're playing Jazz, since you mentioned swung eighths.
Quote by HotspurJr
Do you dance?

I don't know if you were trolling, but this actually really can help
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
i'm gonna second the dancing.

that's what the swing feel's supposed to do - you're meant to dance to it. get a feel of what the listener is moving to, then you'll know what you're trying to do yourself.
modes are a social construct
Quote by mrkeka
I don't know if you were trolling, but this actually really can help

Not trolling at all.

Dancing is all about letting go and feeling the music. Whereas I suspect that somebody who's done a lot of metronome work but is still struggling with timing is locked in their head too much. Sometimes you have to count out measures, particularly when tricky things are happening ... but sometimes it's counterproductive.
Quote by Baroque_and_Rol
It's infuriating, and it makes me have to constantly avoid long streams of (swung) 8th notes in my playing, overcompensating in other areas.

You might wanna try SRV's Texas Shuffle rhythm playing. Vicious as hell.

The "ands" fall incredibly late, so a good way to get the feel of this is to place more weight on the downstrokes, and leave your hand in the down position as long as possible, before raking up.
Quote by mdc
You might wanna try SRV's Texas Shuffle rhythm playing. Vicious as hell.

The "ands" fall incredibly late, so a good way to get the feel of this is to place more weight on the downstrokes, and leave your hand in the down position as long as possible, before raking up.

I just read about that in Guthrie Govan's book. He also writes some other interesting things about timing.
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
Although obvious, playing with a metronome will help your timing.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It isn't as much of an issue when I'm playing with a drummer, constantly feeding the time. When I'm in a sparser situation, though, like just another guitarist or piano, or especially solo, it gets shaky.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
Quote by AlanHB
Although obvious, playing with a metronome will help your timing.

Playing with a metronome only helps if you know how to play with a metronome.

When playing straight quarter notes (if metronome is on the quarter note). You should not be able to hear the clicks, thats how you know you're hitting directly on the beat. Pay careful attention to whether you're ahead of behind the click.
Once you get fairly consistent with quarter notes, start doing 8th notes.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
If you're vocalising in perfect time and can clearly hear your timing drifting, it could well be down to technique.

(lol freepower thinks it's down to bad technique surprise!)

Seriously though. Most likely, it's down to upstrokes and downstrokes being off in some way. Maybe you aren't actually consistently alternate picking when you think you are. Maybe the pick gets caught when you're doing upstrokes - or maybe at certain dynamic levels.

Equally, getting pulloffs perfectly in time is HARD, this could be the issue.

What I would recommend as a practical exercise when you've taken a good look at the above issues is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOPMTtPYe78
Other people have some really good points, but here's what works for me. I just PLAY. ALOT. If you've been playing for 11 years, then chances are you've done many many hours of practicing. What you gotta do is not FOCUS on getting the right timing, but really just try to FEEL the music and make it come naturally. To me, that's what makes agood musician, the ability to really just feel the music. Also, try listening to many different types of music in different timings. It helps! Hope I helped a little!
Quote by FenderMayer
Other people have some really good points, but here's what works for me. I just PLAY. ALOT. If you've been playing for 11 years, then chances are you've done many many hours of practicing. What you gotta do is not FOCUS on getting the right timing, but really just try to FEEL the music and make it come naturally. To me, that's what makes agood musician, the ability to really just feel the music. Also, try listening to many different types of music in different timings. It helps! Hope I helped a little!

I didnt bother to read the whole thread but this one i could have typed myself, so i needed to quote it Indeed timing has everything to do with NOT playing in time, i dont mean to say lets play out of time, but i mean to feel the music and play how you feel it. Maybe it comes naturally to me since i listen to a lot of reggae and soul/blues music.
Quote by King Of Suede
Playing with a metronome only helps if you know how to play with a metronome.

Oh sorry, I should have mentioned that playing with a metronome is only helpful if you keep in time with it
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
some advice :

1:'relax' (practice relaxation techniques before you play.be aware of how stress creates tension in your body.breath awareness is paramount to relaxing!)

2:'be natural and you will see sharp. :Op ' if you are over thinking your timing will some jaded or distracted.
many of us equate performing music to excellence.we figure if we over think our practice this effort will yield an excellent performance.i suggest a tempo that you is slow enough to play effortlessly. but fast enough that you don't get lost in the spaces between the beats.
Whatever the timekeeper is, drummer or metronome, you have no say in the rhythm...you need to adjust your playing to fit in with it.

Guitarists are not the centre of the universe.... well... the rest of the universe hasnt submitted to our will yet, anyways...
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
If there is a specific peice you're having trouble with, I would recommend practicing it in Guitar Pro. Start at a slow tempo and just increase once you have it down completely and can play it smoothly. If it's just improvising, practing with a metronome or a backing track might help. Eventually you'll kind of store the beat in the back of your mind and more conscious awareness will be focused on other things.

Since you've been playing a long time, given enough time with keeping time, in time you should be playing in time in no time.
Last edited by MrDo0m at Feb 13, 2012,