Page 1 of 2
I was discussing this with a friend at the pub the other day... There is such a variation in stratocasters that saying: "I like strats" is pretty meaningless these days. So what for you would make an ultimate strat?

I am a semi-traditionalist so my specs look something like this:

-Extremely light 1pc swamp ash (or pine) body (Under 4lb before hardware, ideally near 3)
-1pc 1/4 sawn maple neck with a huge C style neck (1" no taper like on the early Jeff Beck's) as I like the neck to be stiff along with light weight staggered tuners (no string tree)
-Steel vintage 6 screw tremolo unfinished (like a Callaham or Gotoh for example) with bent saddles. Set floating for a maj3rd up bend on the G.
-'54 styled pickups (my favourites are HD '54 specials and Lollar Blondes)
-Master volume, master tone controls

Finish-wise candy apple red all the way!

Enjoy the game... And the GAS.

EDIT: You guys reminded me I like 6230 fretwire and a 12" radius
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Last edited by power freak at Feb 7, 2012,
- 1pc Alder Body, Rosewood Fretboard.
- Creme or Mother of pearl neck binding.
- Abalone Dot Inlays.
- Steel 6-Screw Tremolo
- Locking Tuners
- Bare Knuckle Mothers Milk Pickups
- White or 2-Tone Sunburst Nitro-Cellulose Finish
- Master Volume, Seperate Tone Controls (in order to remove some treble from the bridge pickup whilst keeping the neck pickup on 10.
I'm not too fussy. as long as it has a maple fretboard, a humbucker in the bridge position and an alder body then I'm happy.
Last edited by Roxxie Roxx at Feb 8, 2012,
I like 'em traditional-looking but with somewhat modern speck. 1-piece maple neck with black dot inlays and slim, modern C profile, radius around 9,5" or 10", alder body with a nice 3-tone burst. Singlecoils all the way, but something a bit hotter in the bridge - mine has a Seymour Duncan SSL-5 in the bridge atm, and will soon have SSL-1's in the neck and the middle. Standard, synchronized tremolo, but possibly some alternative style saddles - the height adjustment screws of the low E-string keep bugging my hand when I play.

And, of course, quality stuff, all the way - a bone nut, a steel saddle block, locking tuners and good electrics are the icing that I have yet to upgrade, but intend to. That's what I love about the Stratocaster - they have such incredible tweaking potential. As long as the wood is good, you can make an incredible guitar out of a cheaper one, just by investing to mods a little by little.

That's pretty much my ideal Stratocaster, but I do like other variations, too - lately I've been wanting a seriously hotrotted one in olympic white with a rosewood 'board and a retrofitted floyd rose, with a hot rails in the bridge and SSL-5's in the neck and middle... and I've always loved the red one that David Gilmour has, the one with the EMG's that he used on Division Bell. That album has awesome stratocaster tones on it.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
I don't own a Strat like this yet but... my specs would be.

1 piece modern C Maple neck
Basswood and or Alder Body
Locking Tuners
57 Bridge and Neck pups with a Dimarzo Rails in the bridge
2 or 3 tone Sunburst with white pickguard or White with Black pickguard. or white with Tortoiseshell. (thin skin finish)
American Standard Tremolo bridge

although I'm not super picky when it comes to Strats.
Fender Telecaster
Squier Jazzmaster
Fender Deluxe Stratocaster
Hagstrom F-301
Epiphone Dot

Big Muff Pi
Small Clone
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop CFH
Crate V33H>Bugera2x12

Bunderthird (Alt Rock)
www.facebook.com/bunderthird
Its called a Charvel
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 7, 2012,
I have a 2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, and it's my favourite guitar so...

Fender American Standard Stratocaster 2008 specs, Candy Cola w/ rosewood
+ Seymour Duncan JB Jr pickups (bridge + neck)
+ Schaller Straplocks

I don't think it can get any better, sorry.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I don't care to much as long as it's got a rosewood fretboard, vintage bent saddles and a single C in the bridge position.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I love the Strat shape but none of the traditional features. For me the perfect Strat has a semi-hollow mahogany body, a hardtail bridge (with big block saddles), SxS pickups (bridge not angled), jack mounted in the pickguard, 3-way switch and no tone or volume controls.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
HERE WE GO.

Alder body
24-fretted maple neck and either maple frets with black sharktooth inlays, or rosewood frets with abalone diamond inlays
White, metallic dark blue or metallic black cherry body /w black pickguard, gold hardware
Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, standard Strat middle pickup, DiMarzio Pro Track in the neck
Master volume, master tone knob, coil tap push-pull on volume
Kahler 2320
Grover tuners
Elixir Nanoweb .11-49s
X-Jumbo fretwire

...I know, I'm picky. But that's just about my dream guitar. xD I've put too much time into thinking about it.

EDIT:I forgot the black Jackson-style headstock. I want one of those too!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
1 piece white ash body
C- contour but flat fretboard maple neck
Dimarzio Tone Zone on the bridge
SD SSL-2 on bridge and neck
2 point wilkinson Trem

That about sums her up
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Swamp ash, 1 piece, maple neck (preferably maple fb too), with BKP mothers milk in neck and middle position and a BKP apache in the bridge.

Would love to own a stoptail strat one day...think it would be neat.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
1 piece alder body
Quarter sawn maple neck
'62 style veneer rosewood finger board
Medium frets, 7.25" radius
No string tree, staggered tuners
Callaham vintage style bridge
3 ply mint green pickguard
Seymour Duncan Custom Shop single coils
Master volume, neck tone, middle/bridge tone

Surf green, thin lacquer finish, thin tru-oil finish for neck

I got pretty close with the strat that I have now. I really dig the no string tree look. It makes the headstock look so much cleaner. And tru-oil feels so nice with a maple neck.

Last edited by al112987 at Feb 7, 2012,
what i play: Standard MIM HSS w/Dimarzio Super Distortion in bridge, black finish, rosewood board

what i want: Alder body, Super distortion bridge, jazz model neck, maple board, 70s headstock, sonic blue finish
Mahogany body, set neck mahogany neck, 22-fret ebony fretboard, 3 on a side headstock(PRS style),hss setup, tho SC wired as one humbucker, a volume for each pup and a kill switch beteween the two pots. Scarlet smokeburst finish, with a gloss neck.

But I don't even like the strat shape, so... PRS Custom 24 shaped.

But wait... I'm bulding it!(link in sig! )
I'm working on building a strat for playing hardcore/pop punk right now. It's going to have a somewhat bright sounding body (I want maple but that seems hard to find so I'll probably settle for alder or ash), bolt on 21 fret maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and a CBS headstock, three hot rail pickups and I'll probably give it a transparent black or cherry red finish and a tortoise shell pickguard. That is basically my dream strat.

Edit: and it's going to have a hardtail bridge because I plan on setting it up for C# but I want to tune it down to B occasionally.
Last edited by fuzzpedal at Feb 7, 2012,
Quote by francesco18
This one :

Fender Deluxe Lone Star Stratocaster
I've got one. It's... eh. Hard to get excited about. What you're looking at is a regular MIM Strat (mine is a 7-piece body!) with some moderately nice pickups thrown in it.

The old Lone Stars were at least MIA. Though if that's the vibe you like, look at a Richie Sambora signature Strat. Same deal as the Lone Stars but with a non-recessed Floyd for better tuning stability, a carved neck heel and an active mid boost to bring solos out.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
- 1pc Alder Body, 1pc maple neck/fretboard
- 24 Fret "Fat Strat"
- Mother of pearl neck binding.
- Abalone Dot Inlays.
- Hard tail bridge
- Grover Locking Tuners
- Invader Neck, Dimebucker Bridge
- Surf Green, Red, White, Blue, Pink, Yellow
- Master Volume on each pickup

THIS IS THE BR00TALZ!!...in a strat
This is how I'd want a strat, if I had one.
Basswood Body
Maple neck and fingerboard
14-16 Radius neck.
Jumbo frets
22 frets because it's traditional
dummy tone controls
pickups would probably be single coils, but maybe just 5 more db of power.
Traditional tremelo

*Charvel, I know but the 9.5 or 7 inch radius throws off my playing especially when the frets are tiny. The most important thing for me on the guitar is the fingerboard radius.
Last edited by takachan at Feb 8, 2012,
I currently have six strats. My favorites of the bunch is as follows:

Alder body
'62 style slab rosewood fretboard neck
medium frets
traditional 6-point floating trem, full sized steel block
BG Phatty pickups (Bryan winds these to P-90 specs)
Vintage Kluson tuners
weight about 8 lbs

One I just finished putting together....

Acrylic body
rosewood board neck - medium frets
Schaller tuners
GFS lil' Killer rail pickups
Wilkenson 2-point trem w. stainless saddles & full steel block set to float
weight... 14.5 lbs UGH!
I played a beautiful Masterbuilt strat when I was at Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd. I don't know the specs but it had a cherry-sunburst/aged cherry finish, maple fretboard, quite flat fretboard, chunky neck profile (was like my Les Paul), large frets and sounded FAT.

It was beautiful but not like your typical strat.

What probably would be my ideal strat would be - C or V shape neck, medium frets, maple fretboard, 9.5" radius, locking tuners, alder body, medium output pickups, fiesta red, lightly relic-ed, straplocks, nice case.

Pretty much one of the current run Custom Shops I think.
i currently play an 88 (technically an 89 since that is when they were released but all the parts are labeled 88 including the serial number) Strat Plus Deluxe. i definitely prefer the 9.5" radius over the old 7.25" radius although actually really prefer a 12" radius. this guitar has a maple fingerboard. the pickups are Lace Sensor, blue in the bridge and silvers in neck and middle. 2 point trem

my other "strat" is a Vineyard which has a basswood body with flame maple top and a rosewood fingerboard. the radius is 12". the pickups are stock and i'm not sure exactly what they are. they are hotter than a 50s or 60s style strat pup but not by much. 6 point trem.

both guitars still retain a fair amount of the "strat" sound but also have a vibe of their own. i'm not the most traditional strat player but still want a reasonable amount of what makes the strat sound so cool.
I have a 3 lbs ash body lying around here. I'm thinking at some point in the future I will want to do something with it but holes for the neck bolts are drilled wrong. I will need to redrill at some point. I really want a black strat with a flamed maple neck and gold hardware.
This would be my ideal Strat:

- Mahogany body, heaviest piece they can find
- 4-bolt maple neck, rosewood fretboard, 22 XJ frets
- 70's Fender headstock with Sperzel locking tuners
- Hardtail bridge
- 1 volume, 2 tones, 5-way selector
- Seymour Duncan Original Parallel Axis Trembucker in the bridge
- Standard Strat single coils in the middle and neck
- Candy apple red finish with black 3-ply pickguard.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Alder Body, white finish/white pearl pickguard, 3 DiMarzio Area series single coils, modern C shape maple neck with 6100 frets, abalone face dots, classic Fender headstock, (hate the 70s ones) and full gold hardware.
-1 or 2 piece Ash body
-Maple neck and maple fretboard, nitro/tung oil finish 7.25" radius (normal headstock)
-21 frets and heel adjustment truss rod
-6-hole vintage tremolo (black, hard-tailed)
-Fender vintage noiseless pickups (black)
-Black Matte pickguard (8 hole)
-Vintage tuners
-All black hardware
-Black finish
Love strats, but Im not too picky. My MIM 70's reissue with texas special pups keeps me pretty happy right now.
My American Deluxe, with swamp ash body, N3 Noiseless pickups, rosewood fretboard, is pretty nice for me.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
my dream strat basically already exists, but ive yet to find one. 1985 Contemporary Strat:

just change the rosewood fretboard to ebony and theres no other strat out there for me
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
This isn't going to be very traditional at all.
1 Piece alder body
5 Piece Maple/Walnut neck with Ebony fb
Hipshot trem
Schaller locking tuners
LSR Roller Nut
HSS - Dimarzio Crunch Lab/SD Quarter Pounds
Contoured & carved neck heel
1 11/16" nut
ESP Thin U neck like shape
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
- Warmoth chambered basswood body with maple top.
- Maple neck, ebony fingerboard, 9.5" neck.
- Traditional hardtail bridge with string-saver saddles.
- Double-fat setup with F-spaced CrunchLab in the bridge and PAF Pro in the neck (both Dimarzio).
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
i can tell you i don't like the traditional black/rosewood/white. or tortishell at atll. yuck.

for me strats are made and broken my their color and fretboard.

only maple fretboards.

i like the nashville setup with the strat SC in the middle, however i would love to have a P90 in the neck without the lipstick pickup and a SC strat style in the middle and traditional configuration in bridge.

my favorite color strat is an aged white (like what i currently have) with a matched aged pick guard, or the light green pickguard.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by 67_67
- Mahogany body, heaviest piece they can find

Why do people keep thinking that heavy mahogany sounds better than the lightweight one? Actually, it's exactly the other way round.

Anyway, my dream Strat:

1-piece Alder body
Black satin nitro finish, gently aged
Pale Maple pickguard
Soft V-shaped Maple neck, satin finished
70's CBS headstock
Schaller locking tuners
Rosewood fretboard
MOP lightning bolt inlays
22 frets (6105)
Compound radius
Strat-style hardtail bridge
Bareknuckle VHII bridge, Irish Tours middle & neck
2x volume (1 for bridge, 1 for middle + neck), master tone
1 switch for splitting the humbucker, 1 passing lane switch
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
My modified strat copy:
- Agathis body (sounds like basswood/alder)
- Maple neck + rosewood fingerboard
- Custom-made humbucker (Sublime Tiger's roar), two stock sigle coils (later changed to be Sublime singlebuckers)
- 1 Volume, 1 diconnected Tone, 5 way switch, 3 way switch to the humbucker (it has two different coils with different magnets)
- A vintage tremolo, blocked, modified to handle the .052 and the .044 strings
Quote by JesusCrisp
Why do people keep thinking that heavy mahogany sounds better than the lightweight one? Actually, it's exactly the other way round.

Nothing to do with sound for me, I just like weighty guitars.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Page 1 of 2