Hello guys. I'm having a debate with my friend. I said that pinch harmonic on 18th fret of the B string is the same note as the 24th fret on the E. He said no it's pinch on 17th fret. so who's right?
In the eye of the tornado , blow me away!
on 12th fret, you have B, so 13-C 14-C# 15-D 16-D# 17-E (the same E as on 12th fret E string)

pinch harmonic is octave higher, therefore harmonic on 17th fret B string would be the same E as the 24th fret on E string

on 18th string, it's obviously E#, which would be 25th fret on high E

edit: all this of course applies only for ebgdae tuning (;
Last edited by KorYi at Feb 7, 2012,
Quote by djsdabest
its the 17th fret on the B. just tried it out

Thanks, guess he's right. I couldn't tell correctly as I don't have 24th fret.
Quote by KorYi
on 12th fret, you have B, so 13-C 14-C# 15-D 16-D# 17-E (the same E as on 12th fret E string)

pinch harmonic is octave higher, therefore harmonic on 17th fret B string would be the same E as the 24th fret on E string

Thank you aswell! Now I see things way clearer
Quote by KorYi

edit: all this of course applies only for ebgdae tuning (;

You're right, but there are multiple different pitches you can get depending on where your thumb hits the strings. There are thousands of harmonics on the guitar. They aren't all an octave.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
yes, you're right about that, i haven't really given it much thought and seeing what the original argument was about, i just assumed they were talking about the octave