I'm looking for an Explorer style guitar with active electronics, and I need to get this as cheaply as possible. The Explorer style guitars I'm finding are almost exclusively passive electronics. I'm new to Explorers in general, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Epiphone Explorer '84 reissue is a proper Explorer with EMG's and they're very cheap.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Designer/1984-Explorer-EX.aspx

As cheap as possible when it comes to price meeting the quality of the guitar. Epiphone makes really amazing guitars for the price and this particular Explorer could be the right one for you. It has got the look of a 1984 Explorer, has active electronics and does not cost too much. To add, the white one looks really neat to me.
However, ESP makes these EX-series guitars, which are "close" to Explorers, but from my point of view, pretty much different with all the sharp ends.

Oh, that was said already while I was doing research.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Feb 7, 2012,
The two models I've found that I like the most don't come with active pickups, unfortunately:

Ibanez Destroyer
Agile Ghost
I swear you used to get Agile ghosts with EMGs/Blackouts

Why are you so desperate for actives?
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by VVolverin3

I'm trying to scratch an itch for an explorer style guitar and for active pickups in a single guitar.
Quote by NosralTserrof
Put them in yourself.

I don't trust myself to start routing the body of a guitar.
Quote by VVolverin3

Do you know where I can browse models or prices for Agiles? Speicfically the V's?

I can't find a site anywhere.
Quote by zilant
Do you know where I can browse models or prices for Agiles? Speicfically the V's?

I can't find a site anywhere.

rondomusic.com

I would definitely prefer something from the LTD line though, Agiles are nice for the money but always require a setup straight out of the box. And I'm not sure if you care about Floyds or not but my friend has a Septor and it tends to drop out of tune a lot....might be a problem only he experiences often but its something you might want to consider IF your getting one with a Floyd.
Quote by Malice26
rondomusic.com

I would definitely prefer something from the LTD line though, Agiles are nice for the money but always require a setup straight out of the box. And I'm not sure if you care about Floyds or not but my friend has a Septor and it tends to drop out of tune a lot....might be a problem only he experiences often but its something you might want to consider IF your getting one with a Floyd.

I'm not a fan of Floyds. Looking for a string thru or stop tail with a TOM. I am not fond of the pointiness of the LTDs.
I just got a ltd ex-400 with 81/60 for $300, not perfect condition though.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
It still baffles me how stupidly cheap Agiles are. It can't be just be because they're not a big brand name.

I don't get this Epiphone hate either.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 7, 2012,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It still baffles me how stupidly cheap Agiles are. It can't be just be because they're not a big brand name.

yes,it is. (Invalid img)
They're cheap cause they cut corners on everything (not in a cynical way). They have low QC, no physical shop front (so now costs on that end), no fancy website to maintain, no advertising, etc
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
I would've thought so. How else would they make a profit?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by VVolverin3
They're cheap cause they cut corners on everything (not in a cynical way). They have low QC, no physical shop front (so now costs on that end), no fancy website to maintain, no advertising, etc

Would they be worth picking up?
I mean, If I was looking for something with a floyd that I wanted to swap pickups out of anyway would it be worth it to pick up a reaper for $300 or something like that?
I've never played an Agile, so I'm not the one to ask. But the general consensus is that for what they are they're decent. If you can get something in the elite/pro range that should be quite a good guitar, but not quite on par with some of the higher end stuff you can get from major companies (IE a good Ibanez prestige, or ESP, or whatever).
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by katalyzt13
I don't trust myself to start routing the body of a guitar.
You don't need to route anything.
Quote by al112987
You don't need to route anything.

How would I put active electronics into a guitar routed for passive without routing a box for the battery or else have a box for a battery attached to the outside of the body of the guitar?
btw that new epiphone looks amazing.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by katalyzt13
How would I put active electronics into a guitar routed for passive without routing a box for the battery or else have a box for a battery attached to the outside of the body of the guitar?

i think you just wrap the battery up in electric tape and stuff it in with the wires. i didnt wanna **** with it. so I went and bought a beat up ltd ex-400 with the actives already in it haha. a little cleaning up and BAM you got a nice metal master.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by katalyzt13
I imagine there is space inside the control cavity for a 9V battery.
The Destroyer's got DiMarzio D-Activators, which are supposed to be pretty similar to actives minus the fact that they're actually passives. I've no personal experience with them but Chris Broderick uses them and he gets rather similar tones to people who use EMGs IMO(that said, I'm not an EMG guy so maybe I'm just thinking "HE HAS THAT STUPID DAMNED POPULAR MODERN METAL TONE AND IT SOUNDS TOO FRIENDLY FOR METAL...I love him though"). Otherwise you could try the '84 Explorer, and Gibson has an Explorer with actives in it(the Blood Moon or something?) but I don't know how much that is, since it's not standard it's probably $3000 or something, and I don't know what Gibson actives sound like.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Enix165
The Destroyer's got DiMarzio D-Activators, which are supposed to be pretty similar to actives minus the fact that they're actually passives. I've no personal experience with them but Chris Broderick uses them and he gets rather similar tones to people who use EMGs IMO(that said, I'm not an EMG guy so maybe I'm just thinking "HE HAS THAT STUPID DAMNED POPULAR MODERN METAL TONE AND IT SOUNDS TOO FRIENDLY FOR METAL...I love him though"). Otherwise you could try the '84 Explorer, and Gibson has an Explorer with actives in it(the Blood Moon or something?) but I don't know how much that is, since it's not standard it's probably $3000 or something, and I don't know what Gibson actives sound like.

It's $1,200. The pickups were a new experimental design. Called Gibson GEM's or something. They received pretty good reviews though. Never played one myself.
Last edited by LostKeys at Feb 8, 2012,