Hi everybody,

I've received this sweet thing yesterday, and I've only played it for a couple of hours or so, but I thought I would allready share a few pictures. It does look better in person.

It's a tokai USG 118s and there are few reason why I titled this post like this. The first one is that I will get some 12' and tune it down to C to play stoner rock, which doesn't necessarly fit her looks. And also because both my guitars are SGs, but have little in common.

I didn't really plan on buying it, I had been looking for a second guitar for a while and couldn't make up my mind. When I realized this one was selling for the price of a Gibson Special faded, I thought "Now that's a hell lot more of a guitar, plus I get a real finish !"... it was allmost midnight and suddenly, I pulled the trigger.

Now here's a small review so I don't get my post deleted:

Playability etc.: I am no expert in describing necks but it surely is relatively thick, which doesn't bother me. I think it's a little bit thicker than on my Yamaha, but it's really very comfortable to play.
The action is low (at least for my standards) and it does not have any buzz. The access to the higher frets is obviously very easy.
Now it does have a bit of neck dive when I play sitting, nothing too annoying though. When I'm standing, the thick strap I have taken from yamaha totally solves the problem, no neck dive at all.
I would also like to add that the third pickup almost didn't cause me any problem when picking. I guess I just don't pick all that deep.

Sound: The pickups are vintage output, which I like. It's still plenty of output for anything I play anyway. The sound difference with my yamaha is more noticeable than what I would have expected. I think it has more mids, and a bit less treble and bass.
One thing I also like is the middle position on the three way switch. I'm unsure which pickups are activated (only the middle one ?), but it does really sound like a mid-way between the neck and the bridge. It sounds warmer than the bridge, but not as warm as the neck pick-up, which is a nice compromise for cleans, and sounds good as well with a little bit of distortion. Obviously it's not a massive difference, but still very noticeable, and a nice tonal option to have in my opinion.

Overall impression: Globally I'm very pleased with my purchase, I would definitely recommend it, it looks great, sound great and plays great. The looks might not be for everyone, but I like it. It also feels like it's good quality, which should be the case for a MIJ Tokai, isn't it ?
I'm curious to see how it'll sound once in C standard, I'll bring it to a guitar shop next week or so to have it properly set up for this tuning.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Wow, where did you get those bedsheets? They look awesome!

Oh, and the guitar sounds like it's a beast too^^

Happy NGD!!!
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Man I gotta get one of those amps, the cab too, look awesome
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Hahaha I thought the guitar would get the most comments, but fair enough, my bedsheets and amp are sexy as well :p.

Still, you should really check those tokai sgs... I might be biased because it was on sale, but especially for the price, it's a damn nice guitar.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Down is the bridge pickup, middle the middle pickup, and up is the neck.
HNGD, that's such an awesome amp. Are you planning on changing the pickups?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Dr Sixstring
Are you planning on changing the pickups?

I'll see how it goes for stoner rock, but actually, I really like them sofar.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Hey guys, I thought I'd give you a quick update now that I've had the occasion of playing a bit more (and after being stopped by my parents complaining because of the noise)...

I have only more good things to say about this guitar, the cleans are really good, and it will give you some classic overdiven tones as well. It will also do bluesy tones perfectly, and it just sounds great through my Big muff.

If you're looking for a geat value for money, and you don't mind having a kind of "posh looking" SG, I highly recommend it. Obviously if you're after a modern metal axe, this probably isn't for you, the pickups are probably too vintage voiced.

Can't wait to get it set up for C standard .
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3