So I'm a guitarist, but now bassist for the benefit of my band, and I'm putting together a bass rig. I'm really looking for a pop punk bass sound, something really clanky but yet enough low end to be felt. Mark Hoppus has a great sound that I wouldn't mind having. I have the Mark Hoppus Fender bass (I wanted a Jbass to be honest but this price was a steal) and an Ampeg SVT410 cab. I bought both used and pretty beat up so I haven't paid much, so I don't mind my head being the same way either. What are some I can look into?

Edit: I forgot to ask the question that pertains to the title.

The cab handles 400W RMS and 800W program. This is in the description of the cab, does that mean I can't have anything larger than a 800w amp?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Last edited by tr3nt at Feb 7, 2012,
america: carvin BX500/1500

otherwise: anything genz benz or ampeg really.

if you want that ampeg sound without managing a tube set-up, get a sansamp pedal, they're pretty highly regarded.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
800 watts peak means absolutely nothing, essentially. Any decent amp will quote the RMS wattage, not the peak, so if you run an 800W into that cab you'll have enough power to rip it in half. As the cab you have takes a minimum load of 4 Ω, you want to be looking at amps that give 400 watts or thereabouts into 4Ω.

Bass isn't like guitar, in that the majority of the time the amp is only a small part of the sound (in the context of the studio). If that's the kind of sound you're going for, I suspect you'll want something with valves in. But you'll probably get just as usable-a-sound by simply running a clean signal in conjunction with a fairly middy overdriven signal.
Quote by Ziphoblat
800 watts peak means absolutely nothing, essentially. Any decent amp will quote the RMS wattage, not the peak, so if you run an 800W into that cab you'll have enough power to rip it in half. As the cab you have takes a minimum load of 4 Ω, you want to be looking at amps that give 400 watts or thereabouts into 4Ω.

Bass isn't like guitar, in that the majority of the time the amp is only a small part of the sound (in the context of the studio). If that's the kind of sound you're going for, I suspect you'll want something with valves in. But you'll probably get just as usable-a-sound by simply running a clean signal in conjunction with a fairly middy overdriven signal.

I understood until I read 4 ohms. Musiciansfriend said it's 8?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by Ziphoblat

My bold =
The cabs impedence is 4 ohms, it will therefore take an amp that will work down to a 4 ohm load.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
My bold =
The cabs impedence is 4 ohms, it will therefore take an amp that will work down to a 4 ohm load.

Okay so running an amp at 8ohm still keep it at 400W?

Quote by tr3nt
I understood until I read 4 ohms. Musiciansfriend said it's 8?

On the Ampeg website it's listed as 4.
Quote by tr3nt

Running at different ohms will either lower the output you get (I think here it'll mean a 200 Watt output unless I'm wrong, which tbh is just about loud enough unless you have a very loud drummer) or it'll break the speaker.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
can anyone clarify if it's 4 or 8 ohm?

What does it say on the back? You'll never be 100% if you don't see it in person so email the company, better safe than sorry.
Quote by tr3nt

If the Amps output into 8 ohms is 400 watts yes. if the amps is 400 watts into 4 ohms then you will be putting out about 275 watts into an 8 ohm cab.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Ok the particular one I got is 8 ohm. So I need something around 400w.

I guess I should have looked this up before I bought it, but is this enough power for playing live, I want my bass sound to kick me in the chest, will I be able to do that with 400w? I don't know bass amps at all.

Last edited by tr3nt at Feb 8, 2012,
Which model is it? SVT410HLF or SVT410HLE? HLE=8Ω HLF=4Ω

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Quote by tr3nt
Ok the particular one I got is 8 ohm. So I need something around 400w.

I guess I should have looked this up before I bought it, but is this enough power for playing live, I want my bass sound to kick me in the chest, will I be able to do that with 400w? I don't know bass amps at all.

You should be ok with a 400 watt amp, one downside is the massive weight of the cab 91lbs.
I'd rather start with an 8 ohm 1x15 and add another 8 ohm 15 or an 8ohm 2x10 later then you'd have an all singing all dancing rig rig.
Don't believe all the adverts blurb either, the horn/tweeter may produce up to 18k but the actual speakers will have cut off long before that.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Feb 8, 2012,
Quote by John Swift
You should be ok with a 400 watt amp, one downside is the massive weight of the cab 91lbs.
I'd rather start with an 8 ohm 1x15 and add another 15 o7r 2x10 later then you'd have an all singing all dancing rig.
Don't believe all the adverts blurb either, the horn/tweeter may produce up to 18k but the actual speakers will have cut off long before that.

I'm fine with hauling it so that's not a problem. But what do you mean by producing up to 18k. Is this cab going to be good for what I want?

Yeah it is 8, so depending on what amp you buy it wont be running at its full potential, which for most heads, the rating at 4Ω unless you have another 8Ω cab working in conjunction.

Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Damn, probably should have done some more research before I bought it.

What are my amp options then? Just looking for a Hoppus tone and enough volume.

Quote by tr3nt
I'm fine with hauling it so that's not a problem. But what do you mean by producing up to 18k. Is this cab going to be good for what I want?

The cab will suit you fine if weight isn't a problem. regarding 18k frequency response most people past a certain age cannot hear up to that frequency, after 12 months serious gigging you will have probably lost that top end hearing unless you wear ear protection.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
You might be able to rewire the speakers to make a 4 ohm load. You probably are not going to be buying an SVT so any amp will have to do, just EQ it for mids and treble.
I reckon a good option for what you play would be something like the Orange Bass Terror 500, tube preamp to get some extra 'bite' and its switchable between 4 and 8Ω. Shouldn't break the bank either!

Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Quote by askrere
You might be able to rewire the speakers to make a 4 ohm load. You probably are not going to be buying an SVT so any amp will have to do, just EQ it for mids and treble.
If it is 8 ohms with four speakers then I think that it is already loaded with 4 x 8 ohm speakers wire in series parrallel.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
If it is 8 ohms with four speakers then I think that it is already loaded with 4 x 8 ohm speakers wire in series parrallel.

What's this mean?

Quote by oz_bassist
I reckon a good option for what you play would be something like the Orange Bass Terror 500, tube preamp to get some extra 'bite' and its switchable between 4 and 8Ω. Shouldn't break the bank either!

Aren't those like $600-$800?
Quote by tr3nt
What's this mean?
(Series Parrallel)

Two pairs of 8 ohm speakers, each pair wired in series giving 16 ohms each pair, the two pairs are then wired in parrallel to give 8 ohms.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn