Hi All!
I just got a Marshall MG 100 HDFX Half Stack, Now critics, I know its not the best, however, I am married with kids, so I can barely afford to think about the good stuff...

Anyways, I play in a Rock band as the lead guitarist, and was looking for some tone ideas.

check out Frostbite on facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frostbite/317989638235923?sk=app_178091127385
to hear some of our stuff. Right now most of it doesn't have vocals cause we JUST hired a singer, but you can hear the style + the tone.

I am running a Kaman GTX 33 (with a Joe Satriani Mo Joe pup Upgrade) and sometimes an Ernie Ball OLP MM1FR (with EVH Wolfgang pups) through a Boss MT-2, Ibanez TS-7 and Dunlop Crybaby Wah. I'm satisfied with the tones that I get out of my rig now, but I just wanted to see if anybody out there has found some golden tones out of a low budget rig like mine? any input is appreciated, thanks in advance!!
First off, this is basically a settings thread, which is banned.

Second, being the owner of a Marshall MG30DFX, I can assure you there is no "sweet spot". It's a horrible amp series that is a complete waste of money. For the money you spent on that, you could have got about a million other amps that are ten times better. My advice is to sell it (if you can) and buy something that will serve you better.
See I picked the thing off craigslist for about $200, haha probably from someone like you. and I apologize, I didn't know settings threads were banned, why is that?
The sweet spot for an MG is at the bottom of the bay with the fishes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
wow, thank you guys for the invaluable information. Feel free to contribute money so i can buy a JCM900 like you!

I K0nijn I
How can i Mod a Pedal?
This is what you're gonna want to do.

Gain: 10
Bass: 10
Middle: 0
Treble: 10
Volume: 0
Presence: 10
Resonance: 10

Settings threads are banned because no two amps sound the same, which is why 'settings' is an incredibly unreliable idea to try across multiple manufacturers and multiple models. Some amps are high gain, others are low gain. Some amps are vintage voiced, others are modern. Low mids on one amp could be a ton of mids on another. Some amps are bright. Others are dark.

That's beside the point, though - the only 'sweet spot' for a MG is off. I hope you can take it back, because for the money you spent on it, you could have got something drastically better.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Feb 7, 2012,
The JCM900 is my crappy backup amp that I let my friends use.
And I bet I paid less for it than you paid for your MG.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 7, 2012,
Wait how have you been here since 2005 yet you didnt know that mg's are just poo covered in tolex?
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Trying to get good tone out of an MG is like trying to squeeze blood from a stone: ultimately futile, and potentially painful.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
There is a settings thread, im not sure what subforum its in, do a search. But trying to get a good tone out of an MG... clean, drop the bass way down, treble at 3 oclock ish. Not the best sound, but workin with what ya got. For the Dirt channel I would do about the same with contour a about 2oclock. Add gain as ya want and throw in reverb as ya want. Congrats on your new purchase, it wont sound like a dream but its better than nothin. (I used a Marshall MG250dfx for a few years.)
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Quote by WaRped&TwIstEd
wow, thank you guys for the invaluable information. Feel free to contribute money so i can buy a JCM900 like you!

I K0nijn I
How can i Mod a Pedal?

well.. to answer the last question...Google it.. if you are decent with a soldering iron.. Its not so hard.. if not.. either get someone to do it for you OR start learnin and practicin how to solder.....

Yes.. there is alot of MG bashin goin on here..no surprise I dont have alot of money either, so i prefer to sift through the local pawn shops for the occasional hard to find item or great deal BUT in saying that,i would most likely pass up an MG series amp based on rep alone..

just sayin..

If you like the sound..who cares what others say
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
Quote by WaRped&TwIstEd

Way to dream big.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Way to dream big.

Hey, mine's modded. It sounds heaps better than a normal 900. With a bit of butchery you can actually use them for far more than just punk you know?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Mufassa
If you like the sound..who cares what others say

+1. This is the only thing that matters.

I had an MG for a while a few years ago, and while it isn't a good amp, it's not as bad as people here make out. It is possible to get acceptable tones out of it, but it takes a lot of fiddling with all the settings, and once you've found that sound you have to try never to move anything!

Unfortunately, as you're in a band I assume you'll be moving your amp all the time, so the chances of you managing to find that sweet spot in every room you play in is pretty slim.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by WaRped&TwIstEd

I K0nijn I
How can i Mod a Pedal?

Correct me if I'm wrong: the MG half-stack has costed about what... a 600 USD?
Well, 100 W of a solid state amp, just like yours, are not going to deliver a more powerful sound than 25-30W of a good all-tube amp. A Peavey Valveking 112 combo, at just about the same money, blows away your stack in terms of sheer loudness, not to mention its tone.
So poverty is not quite an excuse for throwing money on bad stuff. And mixing common pedals to one of the crappiest SS amps available is not going to deliver a better sound, I'm afraid.
No offence, but playing on a Marshall MG is hopeless. There are no sweet spots for it.
Quote by GaryBillington

I had an MG for a while a few years ago, and while it isn't a good amp, it's not as bad as people here make out.

Yes it is.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D