So i live in a small apartment in the weekdays because of music school. I have a roland microcube. Would a tubescreamer or any other overdrive work on this amp since its a solid state? What overdrives would you reccomend? I like stuff like guthrie govan, grieg howe etc...
Yes, it would 'work'. It may not sound that great, but it will work. All a Tubescreamer does is boost the signal. It does not require a valve amp.

I like my Digitech Bad Monkey, which is good and cheap. You could also look at the Ibanez TS7, which is the same as the Ibanez TS9 but in a different enclosure.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
You can use a tubescreamer for distortion too. I gigged with a TS808 in front of a SS amp for a very long time to get a bit of dirt. It won't get heavy but certainly adds some grit if you turn up the drive knob.
SS won't be your problem, it will be the modelling part of the equation. I can't really comment on what a dirt pedal will sound like in front of a microcube.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Raijouta
Yes, it would 'work'. It may not sound that great, but it will work. All a Tubescreamer does is boost the signal. It does not require a valve amp.

I like my Digitech Bad Monkey, which is good and cheap. You could also look at the Ibanez TS7, which is the same as the Ibanez TS9 but in a different enclosure.

Not quite. The TS9 is an analogue effect, while the TS7 (correctly DS7) is a digital distortion pedal, whose sound is miles away - in the wrong direction - from the fabulous TS9.
And I don't think our pal's question was how to add a cheap effect to a solid-state amp, but more like how to add a good overdrive, in order to improve a little the sound of a good solid-state, as the Cube.
Besides the Tube Screamer, you can buy a Lava Box from Seymour Duncan, and also some TUBE overdrive pedals, I mean real tube-driven pedals: Big Ben Overdrive from Vox (sadly discontinued, but still available at many distributors), Tube King from Ibanez and some other, slightly more expensive. A tube-driven pedal might improve your tone. Not considerably, but you might like it more than now.
The TS7 isn't digital. What have you been smoking?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I peaked at a schematic. Op amps, transistors, a few diodes. Nothing digital, best I could tell. But what do I know?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by rv_phoenix
Not quite. The TS9 is an analogue effect, while the TS7 (correctly DS7) is a digital distortion pedal, whose sound is miles away - in the wrong direction - from the fabulous TS9.
And I don't think our pal's question was how to add a cheap effect to a solid-state amp, but more like how to add a good overdrive, in order to improve a little the sound of a good solid-state, as the Cube.
Besides the Tube Screamer, you can buy a Lava Box from Seymour Duncan, and also some TUBE overdrive pedals, I mean real tube-driven pedals: Big Ben Overdrive from Vox (sadly discontinued, but still available at many distributors), Tube King from Ibanez and some other, slightly more expensive. A tube-driven pedal might improve your tone. Not considerably, but you might like it more than now.

The TS7 is not digital, and no, it's not "correctly" DS7. It's the Ibanez Tone-Lok TS7, and if you compare the two pedals' circuits, there is very little appreciable difference between them.

I've had tube driven pedals (Budda Phatman) and don't understand the fuss behind them. You might as well use a non-tube distortion pedal at the voltages they run.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by rv_phoenix

do you know what digital is?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Raijouta
The TS7 is not digital, and no, it's not "correctly" DS7. It's the Ibanez Tone-Lok TS7, and if you compare the two pedals' circuits, there is very little appreciable difference between them.

I've had tube driven pedals (Budda Phatman) and don't understand the fuss behind them. You might as well use a non-tube distortion pedal at the voltages they run.

I'm afraid the Tone-Lok has long gone from Ibanez's offer, perhaps replaced by the contemporary TS 808, who is slightly different from a TS9... only using better components.
There's no fuss about a tube pedal. I don't use one anymore, I did have a TwinTube from Seymour Duncan, but I gave it up after I bought a Lehle Parallel M, which allows me to use all sorts of effects, including digital, without altering my amp's tube tone (I'll review the device soon).
I only recomanded a tube pedal to our pal just to suggest him he might "soften" his tone a little, by using tubes straight out of its pickups, before entering the amp.
Quote by lbj273
do you know what digital is?

I've graduated a much better school than you, be sure of that!
Quote by rv_phoenix

you didn't answer my question
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Cathbard
The TS7 isn't digital. What have you been smoking?

Today I'veonly smoked a wonderful Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill, if you know what I mean.

Let's play "where's wally?" with the TS7 schematic.
First to spot a digital component wins a lollypop.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by lbj273
you didn't answer my question

You're not quite an examiner, are you?
Have you dismantled the DS7? Where does the distortion come from? A chip, perhaps?
Quote by rv_phoenix
Have you dismantled the DS7? Where does the distortion come from? A chip, perhaps?

You do realize there are analog chips, right? And that all of the clipping is from diodes chopping of the peak of the wave in the feedback loop of those chips, right?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Fellow cathbard, interpretation has made huge progress lately, but it still begins by reading. I wasn't talking about TS7, but about DS7.
Quote by rv_phoenix

So every time you see a chip you think it's digital???? Are you serious?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by rv_phoenix

Oh, that's real classy. If you're what come out of that school, then I want nothing to do with it. You "might" have gone to a better school, but he knows a shit ton more than you do, apparently. .

The TS7 is not digital. It's almost exactly the same circuit as the TS9, which is pretty much the exact same as the TS808.

Quote by rv_phoenix

If you're saying that the TS7 is the DS7, then you're talking about the TS7.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Feb 7, 2012,
Quote by rv_phoenix

The distortion comes from an op amp. On a chip. An op amp whose input is a sinusoid and whose output is a distorted sinusoid.

If that ain't analog, I don't know what is.

(And since it's analog, it's not digital.)

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Why are you talking about something called a DS7 when he said TS7?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by rv_phoenix

Bringing up what school you graduated from has absolutely nothing to do with the components inside the Ibanez TS7.

And we are not talking about the DS7, we are talking about the TS7. It was the overdrive pedal I mentioned in my post. T. Even though it's discontinued, it can still be had from many online retailers.

There is a big difference between a transistor and a DSP.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Last edited by Raijouta at Feb 7, 2012,
Quote by rv_phoenix
Fellow cathbard, interpretation has made huge progress lately, but it still begins by reading. I wasn't talking about TS7, but about DS7.

You said a TS7 was a DS7. Now you're just trying to wriggle out of it. You aint fooling nobody.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Jeez Kyle, don't you know that analog and digital are the same thing? It's all a conspiracy, man!
--

--
Quote by Raijouta

There is a big difference between a transistor and a DSP.

A processor is just a bunch of transistors.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
A processor is just a bunch of transistors.

But seriously - all chips are digital? Way to demonstrate a total lack of knowledge about electronics. I don't care what school you went to, you know shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
See, folks, transistors make up pretty much every chip and application--digital or analog. It's all about how they are applied.

But I pinky promise, the TS7 is all analog.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
For the record, there are four in here with an EE background.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I'm looking at the DS7's schematic here, and I'm not sure if it has any digital components either: http://www.ibanez.com/parts/2004_PARTS/electronics/tonelok/circuit%20diagram/DS7-01.pdf

We've also gone a long way off the OP's original question, but I suppose it was already answered.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I hope I'm in that number .

TS, in case you didn't see the answer and got distracted by the debate: You can use an OD on an SS amp; I used to run my board in front of my Flextone III, and it sounded good.

The Microcube is a far cry from the Flextone, but if you use it as standalone dirt on a clean channel instead of a signal boost, it could sound pretty good.

Hell, it might sound junky enough AS a boost to sound good. You know, that "bleeding-ears-but-it-sounds-so-hilariously-bad-it's-awesome" way. Like running 4 OD's into a Danelectro Honeytone.

Pretty sure that's how I fried my old one
--

--
Quote by Raijouta
I'm looking at the DS7's schematic here, and I'm not sure if it has any digital components either: http://www.ibanez.com/parts/2004_PARTS/electronics/tonelok/circuit%20diagram/DS7-01.pdf

We've also gone a long way off the OP's original question, but I suppose it was already answered.

Just 4558's like a tubescreamer. Oh no, a 4458 is a chip so I guess that makes 'em digital.

I haven't issued one of these for a while but rv_phoenix - this stack's for you.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by rv_phoenix

I've graduated from much better schools than you, I can guarantee that!

Irrelevant but still funny!
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
My schools are just so-so.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Funny how that guy decided to disappear. I was half-expecting a big rant from him about how we're all wrong and how the school he graduated from makes him smarterer.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I have a ss practice amp. I boost the crunch and metal channels with a TS9 and the difference is extremely noticeable. It gives it a warmer (kinda), heavier tone. I turn the gain all the way down and turn up volume and tone. The tone knob especially makes a difference.
O, and how do you "graduate a school"? A sentence that contradicts itself... interesting.
Last edited by StratR96 at Feb 7, 2012,
ahahahahaha at this thread

nice work guys
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Bravo and nicely played Gents, generally I stay away from the conflicts, but that poster (poseur?) is nothing but negative in all of his writings. To the point of correcting people on their own opinions?

I toast your debating skills, each and everyone