Now when you say attenuator .............
If you mean as a cut to the signal being fed into the front of the amp to clean it up then yes it is a fine way to do it.

A simpler option:
http://www.ehx.com/products/signal-pad

I'd prefer an EQ myself, more control.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Usernames sucks
Well does it work between my mesa f 50's amp and speaker?

No. You would probably blow them all up.

An eq pedal can only go between the guitar and amp, or the effects send and return.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Oh, so you are talking about an attenuator as it is commonly referred to in guitarist circles and not a signal pad (which is also a n attenuator in the strictest sense of the word).
No. Absolutely not. All sorts of things will blow up. You may even blow the output transformer in the amp. The sort of attenuator you are talking about is expensive for a reason - it has to cope with large amounts of power.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Oh, so you are talking about an attenuator as it is commonly referred to in guitarist circles and not a signal pad (which is also a n attenuator in the strictest sense of the word).
No. Absolutely not. All sorts of things will blow up. You may even blow the output transformer in the amp. The sort of attenuator you are talking about is expensive for a reason - it has to cope with large amounts of power.

But i use it before my amp (on my pedalboard), and have my amp on a higher volume and the output from the eq lower, will i break anything? And also where in my pedal board shuld i put the eq pedal??
The golden rule:
Between guitar and amp input, anything goes.
After power amp, speakers and ("real") attenuators ONLY.
Quote by Usernames sucks
But i use it before my amp (on my pedalboard), and have my amp on a higher volume and the output from the eq lower, will i break anything? And also where in my pedal board shuld i put the eq pedal??

That depends on what you want to do with it.

If you have it in front of the guitar but before the amp's input, it will only be able to equalize how the guitar sounds before it hits the amp's preamp section. You won't be able to get that much tone shaping done that way.

If you put it in the effects loop, it will affect how the preamp section sounds before it hits the power amp section of your amp.

In the effects loop, most equalizers will be able to add or remove volume, but it's not the same thing as an attenuator, because it's before the power amp, which is where most of your overall volume is. Attenuators are mostly used to get power amp distortion at lower volumes. An equalizer cannot do this for you.

In the effects loop, the equalizer will be like a second volume knob in addition to allowing for greater tone shaping.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
What a lot of guys do is add a signal pad (like an EQ) in front of the amp so that it cleans up the sound just like using your guitar's volume control except it is a fixed amount of cut every time. It sorta turns a single channel amp into a two channel one.

Stick it out front - less distortion
In the loop - less volume
Between amp and speaker - BOOM!!!!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Stick it out front - less distortion
In the loop - less volume
Between amp and speaker - BOOM!!!!

A nice, concise way of putting it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
If you do that in the loop, it's basically a half-assed master volume.

Using as a *real* attenuator... that's a definite no-no. You will hurt things.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--