I've been playing guitar for just under 4 months now and during that time I've spent some time trying to develop my fret reach.

During that time, I've made *some* progress. I'm now just about able to play chords requiring a 4 fret reach and a barre at the 1st position (e.g. A#Sus4) on a 24.75 in. neck w/ 22 frets. It isn't quite comfortable yet and these tire me out pretty fast, but it's getting there.

I don't have very large hands or long fingers. My 2nd finger is about 3 5/16" long, my 1st finger about 3 1/16", my 3rd finger is about 3 1/8", my 4th finger is about 2 5/8". And my palms are actually quite narrow.

In your experience is it realistic to assume that a 5 fret reach with a 1st position barre is (sorry for the pun) within my reach with continued practice? Or is that too much to hope for?
Last edited by ald10 at Feb 7, 2012,
well ive never personally had to deal too much with stretch, my pinky is longer than your second finger. but i do know that the stretch of your hand is something that develops over a lot of practice. pianists spend years developing this, as do most athletes. the only aid would be to hold your guitar right.

have a look at a lot of jazz guitarists and shredders. notice how their guitar is almost vertical at some times. this gives a better position for stretching (providing the hand is behind the neck). although stretch is physically limited, you can improve it. look at shawn lane, he had tiny hands but was doing insane stretches.

just keep practicing.
You telling us you finger lengths really has almost nothing to do with it. It's more about flexibility than length. Put simply, with practice, 5 frets is definitely possible.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Marshmelllow
well ive never personally had to deal too much with stretch, my pinky is longer than your second finger. but i do know that the stretch of your hand is something that develops over a lot of practice. pianists spend years developing this, as do most athletes. the only aid would be to hold your guitar right.

have a look at a lot of jazz guitarists and shredders. notice how their guitar is almost vertical at some times. this gives a better position for stretching (providing the hand is behind the neck). although stretch is physically limited, you can improve it. look at shawn lane, he had tiny hands but was doing insane stretches.

just keep practicing.

Great observation - I'm already noticing that half the battle seems to be working with the guitar neck to optimize my available reach.
This thread is a serious case of too long didn't read.

I just skimmed through but a 5 fret reach is possible, just takes practise.

I personally find practising chords is the best way for helping finger stretching. Unfortunately it's not gonna magically happen over night though. It's gonna take you a long time.

There was one solo i always wanted to learn, but i had to stretch from the 12th to the 19th fret for a quick hammeron, pulloff and i could never do it. Over a year later i still can't do that stretch
Op needs one of these:

Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
Op needs one of these:

A blonde little girl to stretch? to stretch what you sick ****?
___

When stretching there are 2 immense factors you need to keep in mind:

1-Proper thumb posture
2- Proper Wrist Angle.

Both are directly influenced by the guitar neck angle as Marshmellow already mentioned.
Look up into classical guitar left hand technique, it will open the door to serious and safe improvement for that kind of playing
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Feb 8, 2012,
Quote by vayne92
This thread is a serious case of too long didn't read.

I just skimmed through but a 5 fret reach is possible, just takes practise.

I personally find practising chords is the best way for helping finger stretching. Unfortunately it's not gonna magically happen over night though. It's gonna take you a long time.

There was one solo i always wanted to learn, but i had to stretch from the 12th to the 19th fret for a quick hammeron, pulloff and i could never do it. Over a year later i still can't do that stretch

It's strange but I just found that I can do a 13th - 19th hammer on/pulloff (not super fast...but I can do it) without too much trouble.

But trying a 5 fret chord in 1st position is like trying to jump Snake River Canyon on a tricycle.

Maybe I'm a rhythm guitarist trapped in a lead guitarist's body?
there's no distinction between rhythm and lead guitarists, what, get that stupid mess out of your head.

i can do a barred stretch from the 1st to 6th fret on a 27" 7 string and my fingers are miniscule. it's a matter of discipline. you're not gonna be fucking tosin abasi in 4 months.
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
there's no distinction between rhythm and lead guitarists, what, get that stupid mess out of your head.

Easy there...my comment was intended as a joke.

But I do appreciate the input that flexibility requires lots of time to develop and that I simply need to keep at it.
Quote by ald10
It's strange but I just found that I can do a 13th - 19th hammer on/pulloff (not super fast...but I can do it) without too much trouble.

I can do a 13-19th stretch too, but i said 12th to 19th :P
Last edited by vayne92 at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by Hail

i can do a barred stretch from the 1st to 6th fret on a 27" 7 string and my fingers are miniscule. it's a matter of discipline. you're not gonna be fucking tosin abasi in 4 months.

Hail your tolerance for nonsense is pretty low these last days
Let your inner troll out to play
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Feb 9, 2012,
I have small hands, but it really is down to posture.

Spanish Fly excerpt:

-
-
-
-t-10-p-3-h-7-t-10-p-3-h-7-t-10-p-3-h-7-t-10-p-2-h-7-t-10-p-2-h-7-t-10-p-2-h-7
-
-
Last edited by mdc at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by vayne92
I can do a 13-19th stretch too, but i said 12th to 19th :P

i can manage 9th-19th, but uncomfortably. i would never stray further than a 19-11 though. i remember this one paul gilbert 1-3-1 note per string lick that had a 19th-14th-11th hammer/pull run. thats the one that helped improve my stretch a tad.

there's this 1 section in Shawn Lane's Esperanto that's like a 10-14-18 stretch thats part of this insane sextuplet phrase. i honestly have no idea how he could play that fast and cleanly with those stretches. goes to show how far someone can push stretching though.
Last edited by Marshmelllow at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by Marshmelllow
i can manage 9th-19th

Holy ****... you must have the biggest hands in the world hahaha
Quote by Freepower
Nope, because I can get 9th-18th and I have really average size hands.

Is this you by any chance?
Quote by vayne92
Holy ****... you must have the biggest hands in the world hahaha

i certainly hope not. they're only somewhere above average.

like i said, uncomfortably, especially whilst trying to take a photo of it lol. i can however do a full barre with the top half of my pinky, not that ill ever need it too.
Quote by Marshmelllow
i certainly hope not. they're only somewhere above average.

like i said, uncomfortably, especially whilst trying to take a photo of it lol. i can however do a full barre with the top half of my pinky, not that ill ever need it too.

No way you could play hammeron pulloff that haha
Quote by vayne92
No way you could play hammeron pulloff that haha

believe it or not i can.
9-15. Like I said, small hands.
Last edited by mdc at Feb 9, 2012,
With a lot of discomfort, I can do 9-16 on my classical guitar. I've been playing (continually) for only about a year now (and been doing Freepower's exercise for about two weeks); I've got huge hands, though.