My JJ's are going out on my amp. I've held it off for a long time now but after a couple shows dealing with horrible feedback and then being monophonic(to the point where it was picking up my other guitarist's amp)....sooo now it's time. I went through eurotubes last time and went with the high gain all JJ set, they were ok and lasted for over 3 years but it's time for something a little more.

My initial thoughts were SED =C= power and all tung sol preamp with balanced in the phase. I play deathcore so I don't want to tame the amp or throw EL34's in it or anything like that. I want pure American voiced balls.

Another thought I've had but don't know if a selective tube change would even help is to use the crunch channel for rhythm using the lead for, well, leads. As it stands right now the crunch channel just doesn't have quite the gain for me to pull it off the way I'd like. At stage volume I run the amp at approx 5.5 on the pre gain and 3.5 on the post, so it's not like I'm a gain *****, just want to know if this concept is even feasible the way I'd like it to be.

Anything thoughs or suggestions are greatly appreciated and a thanks goes out to all of you in advance.

-Zach
I don't know much about that amp's tube swapping abilities, but you might consider kt88/6550 tubes for the poweramp, and iirc tung sol preamp tubes are kinda bright, so you might want to just put one in v1 and jjs in the rest.
Yes I've heard the same about tung sol and thats partially what draws me to them, that and the fact that I've heard about a 30% fail rate on JJ's out of the box. I play in drop A on a baritone 7 string so I'm trying to balance out the low end with tone so things don't get muddied up. JJ's are very very dark and I think that kind of limited my tonal capabilities.
Here's an idea. Dont worry about the gain structure of your tubes. I would (and do) put a overdrive pedal in front of the amp. Have used a Maxon OD9 Pro+ and a Boss Super Overdrive. It makes my Peavey VTM60 sound killer. You can back off the gain, the pedal really warms up the front end of the amp, if you can crank the master, it's even better.
thin slice o skin
I'm completely reworking my effects and an OD is def is going to be in the mix, however, I still need new tubes...
^ +1 to the OD pedal suggestion. I have an Ultra+, which is in the same ballpark as a 6505 tone-wise. A good OD will be able to get that saturation you're looking for out of your crunch channel, and will tighten up the lead channel. I can second the JJ/Tung-Sol combo as well. Also, have you thought about looking for NOS or old, out-of-production tubes like Mullard, Amperex, RCA, Philips, Telefunken, etc.? If you're lucky and you know what to look for, you can score some of those for decent prices on ebay. The quality on many of those old brands exceeds new ones (though new JJ and Tung-Sol are very good) and they often last longer.

Something I did for my Ultra, which may or may not work for you since you're looking for more gain, is I put all 5751s in the preamp section (5751s have about 90% of the gain of a 12ax7 but are a direct replacement). The tone improved, and the noise floor was significantly reduced. I think if you could get your hands on a good overdrive, you could make up for the preamp gain loss, yet improve the tone and have less noise. If anything you may have to bump the pre-gain up one notch with 5751s vs. 12ax7s (and of course you don't have to change all of them out; you could go with a 5751 just in V1 or the phase inverter). If you go that route, JAN Philips made the best 5751s, but GE were also good (I have these) and are cheaper and more available. That may not be your cup of tea, but it's a thought. What do you think?
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by BCKRedBaron
^ +1 to the OD pedal suggestion. I have an Ultra+, which is in the same ballpark as a 6505 tone-wise. A good OD will be able to get that saturation you're looking for out of your crunch channel, and will tighten up the lead channel. I can second the JJ/Tung-Sol combo as well. Also, have you thought about looking for NOS or old, out-of-production tubes like Mullard, Amperex, RCA, Philips, Telefunken, etc.? If you're lucky and you know what to look for, you can score some of those for decent prices on ebay. The quality on many of those old brands exceeds new ones (though new JJ and Tung-Sol are very good) and they often last longer.

Something I did for my Ultra, which may or may not work for you since you're looking for more gain, is I put all 5751s in the preamp section (5751s have about 90% of the gain of a 12ax7 but are a direct replacement). The tone improved, and the noise floor was significantly reduced. I think if you could get your hands on a good overdrive, you could make up for the preamp gain loss, yet improve the tone and have less noise. If anything you may have to bump the pre-gain up one notch with 5751s vs. 12ax7s (and of course you don't have to change all of them out; you could go with a 5751 just in V1 or the phase inverter). If you go that route, JAN Philips made the best 5751s, but GE were also good (I have these) and are cheaper and more available. That may not be your cup of tea, but it's a thought. What do you think?

Thanks for the suggestion about the 5751, I hadn't even though about that. Gain loss wouldn't be a huge issue b/c like I said I run my gain around noon, it's not like I don't have a whole 50% more preamp gain at my disposal to dial in the amount I need. Now I'm curious if I ran my pre this way how it would sound Tung Sol 12ax7 in V1, 5751 in phase, and maybe all JJ or EHX in the rest of the slots. SOOO MANY OPTIONS HAHA
Also a thought I hadn't even mentioned yet...I work at GC so I get things at cost, money won't be an issue b/c I can get tubes extremely cheap comparatively to retail price. Suggest the BEST b/c I can get that for less than the retail cost of crap.
I would try this: 5751 in V1, JJ in between, and Tung-Sol in the PI; or switch the 5751 and the Tung-Sol, depending on which sounds best in V1.

As far as new production, JJ and Tung-Sol are about the best 12ax7s available. As far as old stuff, I didn't know you could get any of those things through GC. Of course, you work there so you know what you can get a lot better than I do

BTW for further advice on tubes, especially if you're willing to go NOS, talk to Cathbard on this forum. He is about the most knowledgeable person here on such matters, and he'll have some great advice for you. Let us know what you decide!
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion