A friend of mine is looking for a tube amp head for around $4-500 and doesn't care if it's used as long as it doesn't suck. He mostly plays alternative stuff like Nirvana and 70s hard rock. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner
i used a marshall jcm 900 for alot of alternative and classic rock. i loved it but its downside is no clean channel. you could get one used for $450ish. for about half that money the peavey valveking is a bit more versatile but lacks a truly heavy distortion. i dont have much experience with anything else tube wise. i prefer the versatility of the valveking "3" channels but unfortunately its only available in 100 watt form. the jcm 900 with the switchable 25-50 watts is great.

i am assuming you already have a speaker cab. if you do your choices may be limited by your cab.
Jet City JCA50h, used Peavey XXX/Ultra or 5150, used Marshall DSL or JCM900 are all what come to mind.

May I ask what cab he's using?
Quote by HeavyMetalSonic
A friend of mine is looking for a tube amp head for around $4-500 and doesn't care if it's used as long as it doesn't suck. He mostly plays alternative stuff like Nirvana and 70s hard rock. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Sounds like a Windsor will fit the bill.... One trick pony?..... yep.... But it does that trick really well...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Egnater Tweaker 40 would have some great cleans and get some excellent distortion tones.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
He plans on using a cheap Line 6 cab (the one that comes with with Spider IV) for now, until he can afford a better one. Thanks for the replies.
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner