I was planning on getting a new amplifier, but circumstances aren't allowing for it. Instead, I've decided to try and find a good distortion pedal to place between my guitar and a Peavey VTX Classic. I play mostly metal/hard rock, and my budget is approximately $100. I would like to be able to get heavier sounds, such as Bruce Dickinson's latest three solo albums, or Judas Priest's Painkiller.

I've looked around, and the Boss Metal Zone seems to be a good choice. Opinions?
Not a fan personally - look at the Blackstar HT range, used to keep it within budget. They have a 12AX7 in them and would compliment your amp.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
ibanez tube screamer turned on by itself or along with the amp's distortion sounds very smooth while riffing. You can hear the notes of character when chugging in riffs like painkiller or paranoids intro.
Even at very high gain levels
Metal zone is good, the digitech Distortion factory DF-7 is really sweet too.
This sig will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Hot e-cousin of girlgerms007

I love Tracie.

Soundcloud
Metal Zone is not good.

Look at the Barber Dirty Bomb.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I have an MT-2 and I'm about to throw it away as soon as I get a new distortion.
It's a 140 USD, but it's perfect for what you want, I think, the MI Audio Crunch Box.
Look into the DigiTech Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion. That whole series is pretty awesome, plus it's perfect for your budget. I have the TL-2 and got shitloads of use out of it until buying my Egnater. Other than that, I recommend you stay away from the MT-2 because it's too fizzy and has thin sounding distortion that tends too be way too sterile and gainy. If you want something with that extreme level of gain, go for the Hardwire TL-2, but neither of those do Hard Rock. The Barber Dirty Bomb and MI Audio Crunch Box are good options, as well as the Blackstar Pedals. The only other pedal that comes to mind is a Wampler Plextortion, but that would be out of budget unless you go used.
Quote by rjaylaf
Metal zone is good, the digitech Distortion factory DF-7 is really sweet too.

While I'm a strong proponent of freedom of beliefs, I have to say: you've gotta be joking. The DF7 is so digital, it manages to make the Metal Zone sound worse than it really is.

Try the Hardwire metal distortion, the ZVex box of metal or the Wampler SLOstortion.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
MXR 78 custom Badass distortion. You can get a basic crunch if you pair it with a clean amp, and some really awesome lead sounds with mixed with a dirty amp.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
check out the Rat, it's a sweet pedal for a great price
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Okay, so I'm leaning toward the TL-2. And just to clarify, I'm looking for a distortion pedal, not an overdrive. I've got a cheaper tube screamer that I can use for that purpose. The Peavey's drive isn't quite what I need for my style of playing, not to mention the ridiculous amount of time it takes to switch between a clean and dirty sound.

So, will the TL-2 mask my sound, or will it allow the color of my tone to shine through?
Quote by Drache Wachter
Okay, so I'm leaning toward the TL-2. And just to clarify, I'm looking for a distortion pedal, not an overdrive. I've got a cheaper tube screamer that I can use for that purpose. The Peavey's drive isn't quite what I need for my style of playing, not to mention the ridiculous amount of time it takes to switch between a clean and dirty sound.

So, will the TL-2 mask my sound, or will it allow the color of my tone to shine through?

The amp's tone will still shine through. I've used mine with a Fender Hotrod, Fender Blues Junior, Marshall MG30, Peavey Rage 158, Egnater Vengeance, and direct through a PA, and it sounds different through each one. It honestly sounded the best through the Blues Junior, fwiw. It retains it's own character with each amp and keeps the amp's character too. You might want the Valve Distortion instead, though. The TL-2 is a VERY high gain pedal that is VERY modern voiced. It doesn't do low gain at all. You can dial the gain back, but it just produces a less gainy modern sound. The Valve Distortion is more of a middle ground between the TL-2 and CM-2. If you were going for the MT-2, though, the TL-2 would be a good choice for the stuff that should be able to cover.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Feb 8, 2012,
I've looked up a few demos of the Dirty Bomb. I'm not really able to hear just how much gain the pedal has in them, though. Could I convince somebody here who owns one to make a demo in standard tuning(preferably)?
The Metal Zone will almost completely mask your amps sound. I wouldn't recommend it.
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
That's what I realized after watching a few demos. It sounds like it would sterilize the tone of my beloved neck Hot Rail.
Here's a really good demo of the Barber Dirty Bomb. It cops some really good tones, and in the demo it's about as gainy as what you'd want for Iron Maiden-y type stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAevs9Fir3k
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by ragingkitty
While I'm a strong proponent of freedom of beliefs, I have to say: you've gotta be joking. The DF7 is so digital, it manages to make the Metal Zone sound worse than it really is.

Try the Hardwire metal distortion, the ZVex box of metal or the Wampler SLOstortion.

Well I don't use the metal zone setting, it kinda sucks, i use the big muff setting for metal. and no im not joking.
This sig will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Hot e-cousin of girlgerms007

I love Tracie.

Soundcloud
After listening to demos on Youtube, I have decided to buy the Digitech TL-2 (Hardwire Metal Distortion). Thanks for the help.
Distortion pedals aren't for me. If you want good distortion get a good amp.

I had a Boss MT-2, funnily enough i just sold it on ebay today for 60 bucks because it is utterly useless
Digitech metal master is awesome, never felt the need to find another distortion pedal. Not sure if they even make em anymore tho
The Dirty Bomb is a great pedal, but I rarely use mine. It has quite a bit of gain, but it isn't the right sounding bit of kit for out and out modern metal. You may want to look into the Railhead T.U.A, probably my favourite 'metal' pedal, it isn't cuhugga chugga if you know what I mean, but it is a decent sounding pedal.
Sorry to drag up an old thread (hey it proves I was searching!) but I have a metal master and I'm not 100% happy with it. At first I thought it was awesome but as I started to get a bit better at playing (been playing for only 6 months now) I started to realize that the sound is a bit too "digital" and I can't stand it with the morph knob turned past 12 o clock. I was thinking of getting a Boss DS1 but I've never heard it. I want decent distortion but not to the point where it doesn't matter if your guitar is in tune or not. I guess I just want a pedal that's not as aggressive as the metal master. I currently have a small Ibanez practice amp and the pedal is set with the low knob at 2 o clock and the high at 3 o clock. It is also a bit noisy but it could be my amp since the amp is quite noisy if I use the crappy built-in distortion.
Last edited by 1neeto at May 2, 2012,
Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal, MXR Distortion+, or a Pro Co Rat (the latter two maybe stacked onto a slightly dirty amp).