I'm recording at home for a hobby project and I'm looking some insights in how to mix the guitars. I have doubled every guitar track, one is panned to 75% left and the other 75% right. I currently have 3 tracks (total of 6 when doubled) and I can't get it sound good.

How do you mix guitars? Should I abandon the double tracks and pan different tracks to different sides so like rhythm track would be on left and melody/solo is on right? What do you suggest?

Also if you know any resources of recording/mixing, I would appreciate it?
Quote by TrailOfMe
I'm recording at home for a hobby project and I'm looking some insights in how to mix the guitars. I have doubled every guitar track, one is panned to 75% left and the other 75% right. I currently have 3 tracks (total of 6 when doubled) and I can't get it sound good.

How do you mix guitars? Should I abandon the double tracks and pan different tracks to different sides so like rhythm track would be on left and melody/solo is on right? What do you suggest?

Also if you know any resources of recording/mixing, I would appreciate it?

Can you post an example (only needs to be a 30-sec snippet of a song) so we know what we're working with? Do you have any other instruments or is it just guitar tracks you have?

If you're double tracking guitars, generally you hard-pan the tracks to opposite sides of the stereo field for the width it offers and to create that wall-of-sound effect that is popular these days. Also, are you micing up an amp, using a DI into an amp sim, or both?

And there are many good resources out there on the internet, but for a beginner this place is just as good as anywhere else as long as you can filter out the crap that spam/one-time posters often type because it showed up on the UG front page - feel free to ask away if you have any questions and most of the time we're happy to help
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
You can listen my work in progress from here: http://soundcloud.com/trail-of-strings/idea-riff-4-ezmix-and-more

Don't mind about the actual song since it's very early in the process. At first it sounds better but as soon as everything hits on (0:53) it goes a bit messy.

I use Boss BR-80 as interface to record the stuff directly and I use the effects from the Boss. Drums are MIDI drums and as you can hear, no bass (yet).
The guitar sound itself is pretty nice for a multieffect-setup. Nice meaty early 90's vibe.
You could always try pan the guitars a bit harder to the edges (80%-100%).

Also, you can cut the low frequencies quite a lot, to make space for bass and kick.

I'd say that the mix is a bit drum-heavy too. The overheads especially are quite loud.
Also the drums sound quite unprocessed.
Last edited by Keskimaki at Feb 8, 2012,
The hi hats are really overpowering, take those down, rest of the drums sound ok to my ear, ok maybe a tiny bit loud lol.
with 3 different guitar parts, i probably wouldnt double them all. if you essentially have two rhythm parts, i would double each of them and work on some panning so it sounds good. like maybe one part is at full volume on the left and 3/4 volume on the right, with the other part the other way. then the lead up the middle. or if youve got one rhythm part and the other two are leads, only the rhythm gets doubled. it really depends on what the parts are and how you are trying to get each to sit in the mix.
Thanks for the tips! I'll try them and give you an update when I have something new available. I was wondering about the drums too but I wasn't sure. Nice to have some external feedback.