Things you should know that naturally alter the tone of your guitar.

It's a matter of wood
Most guitars, hopefully yours as well is made out of wood.
Most people say that the older your guitar is the better it sounds.
Sometimes when you buy a guitar and your friend buys the same guitar, they will not always sound exactly the same.

The same guitar sounds different from my friends
-Woods come from different parts of the tree, think of your wood as an individual part of the tree making up a whole. Now your guitar was made with that wood so of course it sounds different.

My guitar sounds more and more different the more I play it.
-The more you play and let your strings allow the notes to vibrate throughout the body.
So the way you play guitar does effect your guitar in a way, REALLY.
You play a lot of notes lower in the frets, you mainly shred on the high notes.
You choose to down tune your guitars.
High frequency, Low frequency whatever!

Will my guitar sound different in a few years even though I barely play.
-Yes your wood in the guitar will naturally age even if you don't play that much.

What causes this?
-Wood is actually a very hard substance, but it's a lot more softer than metal. Wood even though dried, has sap inside. Rainy days make your guitar out of tune? It's alive. Yup yup. Now what?
Lets treat out guitars as something that is still living even after being taken out of the tree. But instead of making oxygen it makes musical notes.
ok, and?
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

and I thought I made stupid threads...
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
dumberer......
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by takachan

-Wood is actually a very hard substance, but it's a lot more softer than metal.

I had no idea!!!!

Quote by StewieSwan
I have wood

Dude, it's probably really hard, but more softer than metal.
Last edited by blake1221 at Feb 8, 2012,
Quote by blake1221
What happens when I bend the strings?

You obviously can then whammy without a whammy bar.
Quote by blake1221
I had no idea!!!!

Dude, it's probably really hard, but more softer than metal.

And there's a knot at the tip.
Check out my band Disturbed
Thinking of your strings as just metal dental floss? Here is where we are your wrong. Strings, especially guitar and bass strings for the instruments are actually 2 different metals. Metals are a lot harderer than wood, as usual. One metal is wrapped like a snake around a rabbit or bunny. The other metal is not. It is rather than rapped straight.

So dont think of your guitar strings as just modal strings. They are like snakes.
You forgot to mention how many cheaper guitars will be made up of multiple smaller pieces of wood sealed together. That dampens some of the resonance. Ideally, a guitar (body and neck) would be made out of one solid piece of wood, but...yeah that's just not all too practical.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by LRCGUITAR
Did anyone not know this? This is a forum full of intelligent guitarists, you're being very patronising.

Too bad most of its wrong anyway.
herp derp herp derp
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
TS desperately tries to establish himself as a guitarist in the know. Just a few more threads TS! Then UG will accept you as one of their own!
Quote by shmeegle
TS desperately tries to establish himself as a guitarist in the know. Just a few more threads TS! Then UG will accept you as one of their own!

The irony is that just by browsing the Pit, you can almost conclude most of the others in the community are actually doing the opposite.