Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,
I am going to buy a 400$ electric guitar from abroad I guess.I have a list of probable guitars which I may opt for.Please help me and don't say search the forum.
I listen to metal and rock.Basically I want a versatile guitar edging slightly towards metal and rock.Metallica,Megadeth,Amon Amarth,Linkin Park,Coldplay,Green Day,etc.So mixed of soft and hard songs.

Also I want you guys to tell me whether to get a tremolo or fixed or a floyd rose.
Getting 1 pretty soon.So help me out !!

Probable guitars !!

Ibanez RG321EX or RG321mh
Scheter Omen 6 or Extreme 6 fr
Esp LTD M-100FM
Ibanez GRGA42
Ibanez SZR-520
ESP LTD KH-202
ESP LTD M-103
ESP MH-50 OR M-53
ESP LTD F-100FM

I want you guys to tell me which guitar you choose and for what reason its better than others in the list.
If you have any other guitar in mind please let me know.

Also which guitar build do you guys suggest?
Asn't which body ,neck,etc.

PS:Sorry for my poor English.

Ty a lot !!
Quote by DarkRidder
ibanez s420

Why ?

And will I be able to get the ZR bridge properly maintained?

Thanks for replying so fast !!
I can't tell you what type of bridge you should get as that is all opinion based. I like the feeling of fixed or tune-o-matic type bridge, but thats not for everyone. For that price I would check out the Ibanez ART2EX1. Good looking guitar, very comfortable, not to heavy not to light, sounds good. In the lower price range guitars I don't think Ibanez quality can be beat.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-art2ex1-electric-guitar/581829000648000
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
If you don't know weather you want a fixed bridge, vintage trem or floyd rose for your guitar, that's telling me that you don't know what you want. In which case you should find out for yourself by playing as many guitars as possible until your fingers bleed.

If you're a beginner, i would highly recommend a fixed bridge guitar because unless you're getting an Ibanez S series, you're not going to get a guitar with a reliable trem system for $400. And even then, all trem systems have a lot of drawbacks and require a lot of maintenance, which can be very frustrating for a beginner.

Quote by gunnerwholelife
Why ?

And will I be able to get the ZR bridge properly maintained?

Thanks for replying so fast !!

An Ibanez S420 is not a bad suggestion purely because its got by far the best trem system.

and if you've only got $400 and you're going for something with a floyd, you're going to need the best trem you can possibly get. Problem with the S420 is that the pickups are ass. But i would rather have a guitar that stayed in tune.

You should be able to keep the trem maintained if you know how to do it.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 8, 2012,
fender blacktop hsh strat. it will def. do metal, but it will have 8x more diversity than anything else listed.
I havent played any yet but my folks have strongly advised to ditch the ZR and FR and get a fixed for my 1st electric.

What I really want is a guitar which will be worth every penny and more !!

I will update you folks when I go and check out some guitars.

Also guys help me with an amp.
A peavey vypyr or fender mustang or Cube 15xl or Line 6 15w

Some other guitars that I considered [suggested by ayu135] :
1)PRS SE Custom 24
2)PRS SE Tremonti
3)Epiphone SG G-400
4)Epiphone LP Standard
5)Epiphone SG Special
6)Greg Bennett AV6
7) Schecter omen 6 Extreme

Ty !!
Quote by gunnerwholelife
I havent played any yet but my folks have strongly advised to ditch the ZR and FR and get a fixed for my 1st electric.

What I really want is a guitar which will be worth every penny and more !!

I will update you folks when I go and check out some guitars.

Also guys help me with an amp.
A peavey vypyr or fender mustang or Cube 15xl or Line 6 15w

Some other guitars that I considered [suggested by ayu135] :
1)PRS SE Custom 24
2)PRS SE Tremonti
3)Epiphone SG G-400
4)Epiphone LP Standard
5)Epiphone SG Special
6)Greg Bennett AV6
7) Schecter omen 6 Extreme

Ty !!

prs is a great choice, go for the peavey, the rest are pretty much useless
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro

I wouldn't go that far. LP Standards are pretty good guitars. Amazing for the money considering they're only $400 now.

The Peavey and the Roland cube are good little amps.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I wouldn't go that far. LP Standards are pretty good guitars. Amazing for the money considering they're only $400 now.

The Peavey and the Roland cube are good little amps.

i was refering to the other amps when i said the rest are useless :P
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by gunnerwholelife
Hey guys,
I am going to buy a 400$ electric guitar from abroad I guess.I have a list of probable guitars which I may opt for.Please help me and don't say search the forum.
I listen to metal and rock.Basically I want a versatile guitar edging slightly towards metal and rock.Metallica,Megadeth,Amon Amarth,Linkin Park,Coldplay,Green Day,etc.So mixed of soft and hard songs.

Also I want you guys to tell me whether to get a tremolo or fixed or a floyd rose.
Getting 1 pretty soon.So help me out !!

Probable guitars !!

Ibanez RG321EX or RG321mh
Scheter Omen 6 or Extreme 6 fr
Esp LTD M-100FM
Ibanez GRGA4
Ibanez SZR-520
ESP LTD KH-202
ESP LTD M-103
ESP MH-50 OR M-53
ESP LTD F-100FM

I want you guys to tell me which guitar you choose and for what reason its better than others in the list.
If you have any other guitar in mind please let me know.

Also which guitar build do you guys suggest?
Asn't which body ,neck,etc.

PS:Sorry for my poor English.

Ty a lot !!

Try a Epiphone SG Prophecy Custom EX. It has Emg 81/86 . I´ve got one and it spank my Gibson SG Gothic by miles.
Perfect heavy rock axe. Great building quality. Everything is topnotch.
Have owned about 40 axes through the years and this beats the shit of most.
About trems. I like to palmmute so trems is not for me. If you like to be a wild sololist then Floyd Rose is the best.
More butter.
At least for me.
It has a thin d-profile neck which is fast compared to the original SGs but not as thin as Ibanez.
This is a matter of taste of course.
I´m not a shredder.
I like to riff. :-)
Last edited by Gollumbaby at Feb 8, 2012,
Quote by Gollumbaby
Try a Epiphone SG Prophecy Custom EX. It has Emg 81/86 . I´ve got one and i spank my Gibson SG Gothic by miles.
Perfect heavy rock axe. Great building quality. Everything is topnotch.
Have owned about 40 axes through the years and this beats the shit of most.

I own a Futura EX. And i agree. Not exactly Gibsons, but they're great for the money.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I own a Futura EX. And i agree. Not exactly Gibsons, but they're great for the money.

I´m gonna buy a Futura and a LP EX when my finances allow me to.
It´s not not about exactly Gibsons in my case,it´s about thank god it´s not Gibson.
I tried a Gibson SG Gothic Morte with their own GEM active pups and it was not bad but they can´t compete with EMG.
They sound like Burstbuckers wich isn´t bad but not my taste.
Gibson is best for blues and hardrock where they are kings but for heavy metal they have serious competition.
Quote by Gollumbaby
I´m gonna buy a Futura and a LP EX when my finances allow me to.
It´s not not about exactly Gibsons in my case,it´s about thank god it´s not Gibson.
I tried a Gibson SG Gothic Morte with their own GEM active pups and it was not bad but they can´t compete with EMG.
They sound like Burstbuckers wich isn´t bad but not my taste.
Gibson is best for blues and hardrock where they are kings but for heavy metal they have serious competition.

You're forgetting something.

Quote by TheSennaj
If you want a good workhorse guitar, I'd go for the Epi Les Paul. If you're more into metal than rock, I'd get the S420 and look into replacing the pups some time down the line. They're alright as Ibanez stock pups go (which isn't saying a whole lot), but they're passable until you've got the money to upgrade. I have one and it's one of the best feeling guitars I've ever touched. Not a huge fan of the bridge, but I'm not much for floating bridges as a whole. It works and it holds tuning well enough.
Quote by EspTro

Ivé got all three but you must admit the V isn´t the best at home in your knee.
It must hang in a strap on stage where it belongs
Quote by Gollumbaby
Ivé got all three but you must admit the V isn´t the best at home in your knee.
It must hang in a strap on stage where it belongs

Nah i actually find V's more comfortable than most guitars sitting down. My first guitar was a V, so i got comfortable with it quickly.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Okidoki. It´s wild and sexy.
I´ve got a Washburn Flying V with EMGs and it´s one of my favourites but not so comfortable in my knee when i sit infront of my computer.
Best tune i can get with it is Slide it out or was it Slide it in with Whitesnake :-D.
Just joking.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I wouldn't use that. Metal or blues.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Quote by Seth Shadows
I wouldn't use that. Metal or blues.

I don't know, bro. Albert King, Hendrix and just about every rock guitarist in the 80's would agree to disagree.

What would you use anyway?
Quote by TheSennaj
Have you checked out any used guitars? You can get quite a deal sometimes.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I don't know, bro. Albert King, Hendrix and just about every rock guitarist in the 80's would agree to disagree.

What would you use anyway?

:O someone else knows of albert king.

:bowdown:

i love that man, if i could choose to to have someone get revived/age regressed in their early career, it would be him. he'd be my lead guitarist for sure.
You guys are confusing me with such side topics !!

Finally the guitars that I am going to try :

PRS custom 24 and singlecut
Ibanez sa420
Epiphone SG Prophecy Custom EX
Epiphone SG G-400
Epiphone LP Standard

Any ESP's ?
not at that price.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
you may be able to find a Jackson DKMG around that price. solid guitar, i had one for a few years. sold long ago however. overall and across the board stellar guitar. used i would imagine you could find it in your price range, no idea what they retail for now though.

edit: damn just checked, way out of range.

at the same time i also owned a DXMG. $600 now, $400 used wouldn't be hard to find in good shape.

we really need to know your bridge preference before going on about anything else.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 9, 2012,
well I want myfirst guitar to do whatever I want, so a guitar with the ZR would be a good bet, and the inf1/2 arent that bad actually, and you could get better pickups after...
Guy went to two music stores today.

They confused me further.

One shop said get FR or ZR
they said they will teach me how to fix it if it gets out of tune and stuff.

Other shop said dont get FR/Zr and neither any guitars that I had considered.
He told me to get a RG421 [which isnt dat good] or a GIO series .. . .

Also I tried Roland Amp wasnt that great.
They didnt have peavey.
They suggested Vox .
Also I tried an Ibanez Grg250p .
It was awesome !! It was very clean and smooth sounding.
Didnt try the distortion as I dont know any thing to play on distortion.

Also tried RG321.
Its not that good.

So what do I do now?
Last edited by gunnerwholelife at Feb 9, 2012,
I would go with the Ibanez RG. If you can find a RG550 used at that price, you should get one of those. They are awesome.
Quote by N1K156
Have you checked out any used guitars? You can get quite a deal sometimes.

I agree with this ^ I found an ESP Eclipse II (Not an LTD) for 500 bucks used and was the best guitar purchase I ever made. It is the best sounding/playing guitar I have ever picked up.
Surprised no one mentioned the Fender Squier Classic Vibe 50s strat/tele...
USSoldier, where did you find an Eclipse II for $500? A new one runs about $1,800. You got a super deal for $500. You basically stole that guitar. LOL
nice ltds can be had cheap used man. check it out.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by sonnyrocker
USSoldier, where did you find an Eclipse II for $500? A new one runs about $1,800. You got a super deal for $500. You basically stole that guitar. LOL

I made a typo it was 600 sorry. Yea I got really lucky I was scouring craigslist for awhile and found it I took the gamble of buying it without seeing it knowing they normally sell used around 1000 dollars and I am stoked I did had it shipped 2 day even came with the original case. only had a couple small nicks nothing major, fretboard was nice no twist or warping, had to do a full set up on it though. I got very lucky with this one!!!
So What are my final options then?
peavy vypr 15w
fixed bridge guitars?

I love the tremolo [edge 3 i guess] on grg250p but it will get screwed up in long run.
So I have decided I will Get a fixed .
Any 400$ options?
Cant I find one decent guitar at this price ?
c'mon people help me out !!
might want to get a new amp first.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Page 1 of 2