Page 1 of 2
Im not sayings its medical advice, but its medical advice...

How can you diagnose schizophrenia and what good would it do, as in can you get any help?
You diagnose it by going to a psychologist or psychiatrist, and they'll test you. Or a hospital, I guess.

It's actually quite treatable, although I've heard antipsychotics have really nasty side effects.
I dont feel like im all here. Or i am. Maybe too much of me is here for my own good.
Does it cost money to get diagnosed?

Edit: ^ just trying to see if anyone knows anything about it. Not looking for a pit diagnostic, because im sure that would go aweful
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Feb 8, 2012,
Quote by cptcomet
There is medication for schizophrenia. Something beginning with P but I forget what it's called. As for diagnosis, go to a doctor.

Prolixin, perhaps?

I always think of Thorazine as the stereotypical antipsychotic, as it was the first on the market, I believe.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I dont feel like im all here. Or i am. Maybe too much of me is here for my own good.

I'm pretty sure most insurance plans cover a visit to the psychiatrist. That said, there are all kinds of resources online that you can find to learn more about schizophrenia. I'm not telling you not to ask here, I'm just saying that putting a tiny hint of effort into your research will likely prove a lot more helpful than asking a forum that consists mostly of teenagers and young adults studying things that aren't mental health.

EDIT:
A good place to start.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Edit: ^ just trying to see if anyone knows anything about it. Not looking for a pit diagnostic, because im sure that would go aweful

Well, the thing about schizophrenia is that it's one of those mental illnesses whose symptoms could be present as part of a different condition, and although there are signs to look for, cases are highly variable between patients. I know someone who's schizophrenic and I'm sure there are several more here who do, but the individual experiences we could offer up wouldn't even begin to give you the kind of accurate, general overview of the disorder that a professional resource could.
Last edited by madbasslover at Feb 8, 2012,
^Yeah, schizophrenia is much like autism spectrum disorders in that regard. There are "textbook cases," so to speak, but the majority of people with it are very different. In fact, I remember from my psych class that the DSM-IV has several different types of it listed. Paranoid, disorganized, catatonic, and I think one or two others.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Yeah, a psychiatric evaluation costs money. I'm not sure how much, but yeah. A full one takes several hours, but I dunno what they'd give you.

Do you actually have any of the symptoms? Like delusions (well, if you had them, I suppose it would be hard for you to tell), hallucinations when you're completely sober, thought disorder (thoughts and speech are illogical and/or disorganized; not just a little bit, though, we're talking about it being difficult for most people to understand what the fuck you're talking about to the point that it impairs your everyday life), a blunted or flat affect, etc.?

If not, you could just be depressed.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Feb 8, 2012,
I feel as if all of the symptoms point to me. Almost so obviously, im not sure if im making it up, becuse nobody ever mentioned it to me. I hear voices falling asleep, i see shit during the day, i have vivid daydreams that represent bizzar almost impossibilities of things that can happen at any moment, and visualize myself doing stuff, but never actually do it. I have no 'life' in me. I dont feel like doing anything. I have too many thoughts, and i cant tell what thoughts are mine and what are my paranoias. Im paranoid of nearly everything. Im scared of opinions. I feel like i can know and understand how people react to life and can never fit myself into situations. I have multiple personality changes throught the day. I dont know what emotions to express to everyday things. Im emotionless as well. I cant communicate at all. Its hard fitting and forming myself and thoughts into life to be perceived correctly. I feel like im fleeing death alldayerryday. I have insane hygiene. I overanalyze too much, il break down even the simplist idea in hopes to find a deeper meaning to understand. Im really unhealthy, just skin and bones. Unmotivated because i feel like iv done everything wrong and give up like a kid. I feel like peoples opinions become my opinions and i feel like i end up with too many people inside my head.
I can go on forever it seems... I just hate living sometimes. I have a GF and im bringing this up because i feel like my mental health is getting in the way of us.
Well, I'd definitely see a doctor, then.

It might not be schizophrenia, though. There are a lot of other disorders out there that are mistaken for it, like severe forms of bipolar disorder, or psychotic depression.
Well, regardless of what the diagnosis ends up being, it does sound like you need help. The best thing any of us can do for you is point you in the right direction, and it sounds like the right direction is seeing a psychiatrist.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
*problems*

People here won't be able to give you a proper answer unless they're qualified (in which case, they wouldn't be on this site )

Like others, though, I can give you my experiences of it if you like.
Mind you, mine wasn't outright schizophrenia. It was diagnosed as a side-effect of the depression I was suffering.

Ashley
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I feel as if all of the symptoms point to me. Almost so obviously, im not sure if im making it up, becuse nobody ever mentioned it to me. I hear voices falling asleep, i see shit during the day, i have vivid daydreams that represent bizzar almost impossibilities of things that can happen at any moment, and visualize myself doing stuff, but never actually do it. I have no 'life' in me. I dont feel like doing anything. I have too many thoughts, and i cant tell what thoughts are mine and what are my paranoias. Im paranoid of nearly everything. Im scared of opinions. I feel like i can know and understand how people react to life and can never fit myself into situations. I have multiple personality changes throught the day. I dont know what emotions to express to everyday things. Im emotionless as well. I cant communicate at all. Its hard fitting and forming myself and thoughts into life to be perceived correctly. I feel like im fleeing death alldayerryday. I have insane hygiene. I overanalyze too much, il break down even the simplist idea in hopes to find a deeper meaning to understand. Im really unhealthy, just skin and bones. Unmotivated because i feel like iv done everything wrong and give up like a kid. I feel like peoples opinions become my opinions and i feel like i end up with too many people inside my head.
I can go on forever it seems... I just hate living sometimes. I have a GF and im bringing this up because i feel like my mental health is getting in the way of us.

Go and see a doctor about it. Schizophrenia isn't as terrible as it seems, there's a lot of help out there for people.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
You are f*cking crazy.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
I believe one of the symptoms of Schizophrenia is that you believe something completely irrational that seems perfectly rational to yourself.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Gyroscope
I believe one of the symptoms of Schizophrenia is that you believe something completely irrational that seems perfectly rational to yourself.

All religious people suffer then

Ashley
Quote by Gyroscope

Yes, that's called a delusion, and they're not exclusive to schizophrenia, nor are they a necessary symptom of schizophrenia.
It's easily treated, just get to your doctor. The pit ain't the place for this.
Quote by smb
It's easily treated, just get to your doctor. The pit ain't the place for this.

Hogwash! The Pit has long been the premier place for woeful UGers to receive medical advice of dubious quality!
Quote by BlackLuster
All religious people suffer then

Ashley

I laughed pretty hard
I feel like something is going to kill me at all times. Stupid shit. Like my body forgetting how to function and il drown drinking water, or burgaler in my house, or crazy final destination stuff, all of the time. I also dont sleep because i feel like im going to die in my sleep. So i stay up for days. I also freak out over the second i fall unconscious. If il notice. When itl happen.

Il talk to my mom about seeing a doctor psychiatrist.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I laughed pretty hard
I feel like something is going to kill me at all times. Stupid shit. Like my body forgetting how to function and il drown drinking water, or burgaler in my house, or crazy final destination stuff, all of the time. I also dont sleep because i feel like im going to die in my sleep. So i stay up for days. I also freak out over the second i fall unconscious. If il notice. When itl happen.

Il talk to my mom about seeing a doctor psychiatrist.

I know what that's like. There was a murder in my neighborhood about two years ago, and I was freaking out about it.

Also, that summer, I was afraid zombies were going to materialize in my room if I didn't keep the lights on at all times, even if I wasn't in the room. Actually, being out of my room was when it was most important to keep the lights on.

It wasn't a delusion, though, because I didn't believe it; I was merely afraid of it, so it was an obsession. OCD can be really weird. A lot of people don't understand what OCD is like at all.
Do you hear full on sentences while you're trying to sleep or that thing when someone whispers something in your ear just as you're on the edge of consciousness?

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Last edited by Jiggzy.UK at Feb 8, 2012,
I eat food proportionately. I always end up with a bite of everything left when im done. OCD doesnt suck, bcause its completely nesesary. Like spelling. If i dont spell nesacary right the world will end. Or my meal will be ruined if i cant have chips. I need to take a bite of sandwich, then eat a chip, then take a sip. Until i run out. Stuff cant touch each other. If i mess up its ruined. If im making a lego battleship and i domt have the exact piece to make it perfectly symetrical, talking about detals that dont matter at all, i take it apart.
If i embarass myself, the world ends. I dont do stuff because i need to keep my life recprd perfect so to say. Idk why. Its dumb. Its preventing me from accelling in college. I dropped my first year because i was mentally freaking the **** out and depressed. Now i feel like my college life is already ruined. Cant make up for it. Cant brush the dirt off and get back in the game. Lifes ruined its the end of the world.
**** im retarded Dx
Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Do you here full on sentences while you're trying to sleep or that thing when someone whispers something in your ear just as you're on the edge of consciousness?

I feel like i hear a kinda robotic women saying short phrases. I usually cant understand them so i continually think of them and make out different things she could have said. Never ffull of sentences or conversations. But my thoughts are crazy all day long. Too many ideas rapidly going thru my head. I rapidly think of things. It helps in math, like im really good at math in my head.

Edit: just hear a baby say i dont wana clean the house, and a voice whispering a song, and a guy humming a melody. It freaks me out! God damnit! Sorry for being weird pit, forgive me
I highly doubt you have schizophrenia, from the symptoms you've specified. Go and take a session with a GOOD psychologist. Get a referral from someone you trust, and ask them for their advice as they are trained professionals.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Last edited by Firenze at Feb 8, 2012,
Go to a psychologist. Normally, I would love to pick your brain, but I'm tired. Just go to the professional.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I did 12 one hour sessions with a psychologist. They didn't help one bit. And he seemed like a Paedo.

Get on the meds, Citalopram perhaps?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Apart from the seeing shit, I know exactly what you mean... I go through periods like that occasionally. I'm seeing someone about it later this month, and you should too, ASAP. I think self diagnosis of things like schizophrenia could be very damaging.
Quote by Novacane...
I did 12 one hour sessions with a psychologist

He probably sucked.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by Novacane...
He loved to talk about himself. Sometimes it felt like he was offloading on me.

Then you got a shit psychologist. There are plenty of awesome ones, but just as many terrible ones. It's like going to a doctor, get some info on them before you go to them.

Quote by ErikLensherr

I wouldn't take any SSRI's but I would go to a psychiatrist.

I have seen you post stories about tripping in the DT, I am assuming you have stopped no?

Are you the guy that said in band you would watch objects dance around the room? I can relate, but rooms only start to party with me once I take enough dissociatives (srs)

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I feel like i hear a kinda robotic women saying short phrases. I usually cant understand them so i continually think of them and make out different things she could have said. Never ffull of sentences or conversations. But my thoughts are crazy all day long. Too many ideas rapidly going thru my head. I rapidly think of things. It helps in math, like im really good at math in my head.

Edit: just hear a baby say i dont wana clean the house, and a voice whispering a song, and a guy humming a melody. It freaks me out! God damnit! Sorry for being weird pit, forgive me

I do hear tunes and voices in my head all day sober, but they are more akin to narration. Sometimes tunes pop in my head at the most synchronizing times to where I have to resist laughing in front of people, but my internal voice sounds like me and sometimes it feels like I am listening and not speaking in my head, but it is almost always in a positive direction that I add to.

Quote by Jiggzy.UK
Do you hear full on sentences while you're trying to sleep or that thing when someone whispers something in your ear just as you're on the edge of consciousness?

Hypnogagia and related phenomenon are a whole lot different than schizophrenia. I have always heard endless crowds of voices while I'm falling asleep that don't wake me up like the tiniest actual noise around me would, it doesn't even feel normal I just can't even think about it at the time being.
Last edited by garden of grey at Feb 8, 2012,
Surely your heavy use of acid and other drugs has had no effect, I'm positive.

Especially after how much you've bragged about it in the DT.

Nope, no way that's affected you.
Quote by blake1221

~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
Quote by blake1221

I don't remember him being a heavy LSD user, but I do recall him taking a bunch of pills that he presumed to have hallucinogens in them.

Full blown schizophrenia is predominantly a genetic condition that almost always unravels in your 20's, I don't think placing the cause on hallucinogens is fair, but early activation, possibly.
Schizophrenia seems to be brought on by a combination of genetic predisposition and extreme levels of stress. TS, have you gone through any significant life changes lately, such as death of someone close, starting college, moving, or anything like that?

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by garden of grey
I don't remember him being a heavy LSD user, but I do recall him taking a bunch of pills that he presumed to have hallucinogens in them.

Full blown schizophrenia is predominantly a genetic condition that almost always unravels in your 20's, I don't think placing the cause on hallucinogens is fair, but early activation, possibly.

Self diagnosed schizophrenia ≠ schizophrenia
Quote by blake1221
Self diagnosed schizophrenia ≠ schizophrenia

Hush, Blake. We all know everyone on the internet is right.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Page 1 of 2