Page 1 of 2
I'm looking to upgrade my current amp for shows with my band i need something loud enough to keep up with their mesa boogie bass cab and my other guitar players peavy valve king 100 through a mesa boogie cab. I know tube amps are better but i've played both and for what were gonna be doing it's just not worth it to me to spend the extra money for it. I'm sold on Orange cabs i love the sound they make and their durability etc. im almost positive im going to get this cab

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Amplifiers-PPC-Series-PPC212-OB-120W-2x12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-107223331-i1527060.gc

but I just now need a good solid state head to run through it I've been looking into the Line6 HD150 and the marshall MG100HCFX shown below

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-IV-HD150-150W-Guitar-Amp-Head-105482806-i1470463.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG-Series-MG100HCFX-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head-107202327-i2034730.gc

Would these be good running through the orange or what would you suggest? and i've looked used for tubes I just don't want to go through the maintenance and what not I just want a sturdy amp i wont have to worry about when we moving around playing shows all around town. were going to be playing everything from house parties to shows at a place called revolution live Ft.Lauderdale which is a fairly big venue. any ideas help alot thanks!
what style of music do you play? What's your budget? Etc.

Don't get the Spider or the MG, the Spider isn't good, and the MG is probably the worst amp that I've ever personally played.
The idea that tube amps aren't sturdy or are hard to maintain is BS. I'm sorry,but no one is going to recommend you spend more on your cab then your amp at this level.

The total it looks like you're going to be spending is about $900. Thats well within a healthy amount to get either a very good tube combo, or a decent tube stack. Don't be mislead into thinking that you need a stack to gig. And don't write off tube amps because you think they're a pain to maintain and use, they're not.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Do your homework to the best of your ability, come back, then ask again. Also in the please reccomend me an amp format. Thanks!
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
ZOMG!! Dont you no???/ Solid states are teh suxxors. You need a toob amp coz their the gratesst. Solid states are for morons!!!1
Ill be playing post hardcore/hardcore. Ive been doing research then what is a fairly cheap tube i can run through that orange i really dont want to spend more than 1k
Quote by 812many
Do your homework to the best of your ability, come back, then ask again. Also in the please reccomend me an amp format. Thanks!

Sorry didnt know ill post their next time!
Naw your fine, I just hadnt had my morning cigarette yet. Or enough coffee... Theres a sticky in this forum that says Budget, Location, current rig, etc. that all tend to be helpful to know to help ya out. But all that being said, lets see... Orange is a nice cab if you know what your getting into. They have a good rep, good build, and more of a specific sound. Im not a big fan of Marshall MG series or Line 6, but I have only played the combos of both. Why are we thinking Mg or 6?
for a grand u can do much better than any of the solid states. check out tube blackstar HT series. mostly solid state, tube growl, and will rip ur face off with gain
When your options are MG and Spider then I beg to differ - it definitely IS worth the extra money for an alternative. Lots of far better options out there. For the price of a new MG you can pick up a great used head.
Come back with the answers to the questions asked in that sticky and somebody is bound to find you something far far better than either of those pieces of smeg for the same sort of money. The more accurate you give your location the better advice you'll get.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 8, 2012,
Im just looking at the 6 and mg because they have good ratings the orange 2x12 cab im sold on its 589 so whats a good tube head for 300 to 500 i need something with great cleans and powerful overdrive and distortion.
Great cleans and powerful overdrive and distortion sounds like a tube with a dirt pedal to me. ALMOST all amps have good ratings in reviews. Best thing to do is try it before you buy it for sure. Have you looked into any orange heads? I was looking for great cleans, great tone, lotsa headroom, and a platform for pedals if i want distortion, I ended up going for Egnater Tweaker 40. You could probably look into some peavey heads. What kind of music do you play? If you want reasonable help, answer the sticky. Let me find you the link to make this easier on all... https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
Quote by 812many
Great cleans and powerful overdrive and distortion sounds like a tube with a dirt pedal to me. ALMOST all amps have good ratings in reviews. Best thing to do is try it before you buy it for sure. Have you looked into any orange heads? I was looking for great cleans, great tone, lotsa headroom, and a platform for pedals if i want distortion, I ended up going for Egnater Tweaker 40. You could probably look into some peavey heads. What kind of music do you play? If you want reasonable help, answer the sticky. Let me find you the link to make this easier on all... https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

Amp head
Budget- around 500
Genre-hardcore post hardcore
New or used?- doesnt matter
Gigs or house?- gigs
City? Ftlauderdale/ boca raton
Current amp- line 6 spyder III 15 watt
All I know of is a little outta your budget, I was going to give you the standard 6505 but thats almost twice your budget. I really enjoy Egnater, but I think those top your budget too. Sorry man, Im sure somebody else will come in and hook ya up. Maybe a Blackstar?

EDIT: The reason blackstar gets a bad rap is because they were advertised as all tube, but have SS parts in em, so really they are hybrid. You might want to check those out, seems right up your alley.
Last edited by 812many at Feb 8, 2012,
Yeah, I would definitely say blackstar. And to the person who said it's mostly ss, it's mostly tube with an ss inverter. All the inverter does is give it extra headroom. They kick into overdrive beautifully. I can get a great muddy waters sound out of my rig.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by asb9pwns
Ill be playing post hardcore/hardcore. Ive been doing research then what is a fairly cheap tube i can run through that orange i really dont want to spend more than 1k

How "good" a cab will sound has a lot to do with what you plug into it. Don't get me wrong, a decent cab will indeed ensure you get the best out of your head, unfortunately "best" doesn't equate to an awful lot when you're talking about an MG or a Line 6 Spider.

it's like putting Pirelli tyres on a Smart car....
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/2837596353.html
http://pensacola.craigslist.org/msg/2839195643.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-6505-Guitar-Amp-Head-/260952393676?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc1f987cc

Quote by jjbarnes
Yeah, I would definitely say blackstar. And to the person who said it's mostly ss, it's mostly tube with an ss inverter. All the inverter does is give it extra headroom. They kick into overdrive beautifully. I can get a great muddy waters sound out of my rig.

All it does it give it extra headroom? wtf are you talking about? And what about all those opamps? What are they there for, conference tables for ants?
He can afford the exact right amp for the job, a 6505 or a 5150. Why would he want a HT?
He wants hardcore, not Muddy Waters. Seriously,
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 8, 2012,
TS, look for a used Peavey JSX, XXX, Ultra, and possibly a 5150 or 6505, though the cleans are lackluster. What is a band you want tones from? The more specific you are, the better, but when I think post hardore I think metalcore style tones, so I'm assuming you want a lot of tight distortion.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Cathbard
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/2837596353.html
http://pensacola.craigslist.org/msg/2839195643.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-6505-Guitar-Amp-Head-/260952393676?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc1f987cc

All it does it give it extra headroom? wtf are you talking about? And what about all those opamps? What are they there for, conference tables for ants?
He can afford the exact right amp for the job, a 6505 or a 5150. Why would he want a HT?
He wants hardcore, not Muddy Waters. Seriously,

Ya the peavys are out of my budget it seems but what about the valve king? Those are 500 or anything cheaper and with the black star i could get a pedal for distortion or would that not work?
I was actually going to look up Ultra/XXX/JSX too. I forgot but yes, another perfect amp for the job.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Get a used peavey ultra plus to go with it.
They are fantastic and cheap.

Mine quite often makes me think "is it worth it?" to more expensive amps after paying £200 used for it
Quote by dementiacaptain
TS, look for a used Peavey JSX, XXX, Ultra, and possibly a 5150 or 6505, though the cleans are lackluster. What is a band you want tones from? The more specific you are, the better, but when I think post hardore I think metalcore style tones, so I'm assuming you want a lot of tight distortion.

Bands like august burns red for the really heavy stuff drugs or for all those sleeping for softer and like sleeping with sirens for a good clean and slight distortion. Hope that helps
Quote by Cathbard

Offer those guys $400 each and see who jumps.

There's nothing wrong with solid state for some applications, but for what you're doing tube would be preferred by most. Don't worry about maintenance. I've had 6 tube amps and never had to do any maintenance. Not even replacing tubes. You probably will have to since you gig, but its not nearly as big a deal as people make it out to be.

Also don't get so caught up on the cab. You are correct, that Orange is one of the best cabs out there... However the cab is the potential of your amp, not the actual sound. A great amp will sound shitty through a shitty cab, but a shitty amp will sound shitty through a great cab. Often times good cabs have too much definition and can bring out the worst in a mediocre amp. For instance that PPC212 has V30s in it, which are pretty bright, trebley speakers. If you throw an already nasally sounding amp (like a Spider or an MG) on that its gonna sound like nails on a chalkboard. Focus on your amp, then make sure you get a cab that can help it achieve its potential, in that order. Or get a combo, change the speaker in it and enjoy!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by asb9pwns
Ya the peavys are out of my budget it seems but what about the valve king? Those are 500 or anything cheaper and with the black star i could get a pedal for distortion or would that not work?

The blackstar could work, and you probably wouldnt need a distortion pedal just an overdrive, they already have a considerable amount of distortion from the get go, but a lot of people don't like them, (myself included) so I would definitely try it out first to see what you think. As far as the Peaveys, Ebay is always flooded with 5150 and 6505 heads and combos for <500, and I know you could find an Ultra for that price. While ultras are kind of ugly, they have some awesome tone. Again, what band, or song even, do you like the tone from?

EDIT: just saw your response sorry, you will be happy with any of the amps I mentioned.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Feb 8, 2012,
Quote by asb9pwns
Bands like august burns red for the really heavy stuff drugs or for all those sleeping for softer and like sleeping with sirens for a good clean and slight distortion. Hope that helps

ultra or jsx/
6505 isnt the best at cleans though it does an ok job.
All the amps mentioned would do the gain requirement
Post hardcore has elements in their music and they need to be very dynamic. Line 6 and Marshall MGs are anything but that. I'd suggest the Peavey 5150, 6505, JSX, XXX, Ultra, Marshall JCM800 or JCM900 with a boost, Randall MTS series, and if I can think of anymore I'll add some later.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Ill be on the look out for those what about a orange dual terror or black terror?those arearound that 500 mark or are those not big enough to play at the gigs i want? Theyre pretty big venues.
Nah I wouldn't get those for gigging, there'd be no clean headroom at all and it would barely keep up with the rest of the band in terms of volume.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by dementiacaptain

+1

Any of those amps would rip for hardcore... though it would help if TS listed a couple bands or songs. "hardcore" could mean a lot of different things.

No matter your budget, you can ALWAYS do better than a spiderstack, or MG. I don't even know why those amps exist.

Playing a 150W spider head through a nice orange cab is an abomination IMO.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-6505-112-60W-1x12--Tube-Combo-Guitar-Amp-105612089-i1445921.gc

That's $100 over your budget brand new, and you wouldn't need to buy the cab. You could use some of the money you save to swap out the speaker for a V30.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by asb9pwns
Ill be on the look out for those what about a orange dual terror or black terror?those arearound that 500 mark or are those not big enough to play at the gigs i want? Theyre pretty big venues.

Dark Terror you mean? From what I understand (haven't played it) it has the gain but some say it is more vintage voiced, and the controls are somewhat limited (volume and tone if I remember.) I think the peaveys would do it better, but the dark terror would probably get you in the ballpark, though if you are like me the ballpark won't do it. The tiny terror I don't think you'll be happy with.
Listen to marianas trench by august burns red that sound spot on essnetially. Ill shop around used for a good tube head then over 50watts im assuming though correct?
Quote by asb9pwns
Listen to marianas trench by august burns red that sound spot on essnetially. Ill shop around used for a good tube head then over 50watts im assuming though correct?

Over 50 watts is a good idea. Really look for the models we mentioned, August Burns Red uses 6505s themselves after all.
For a tube amp, you can really keep up with a band with anything above like 15W. I recently got rid of my renegade combo, and that thing on 18W would hang with a drummer no problem. But the more wattage, the more clean headroom you get. So if you play clean stuff as well, you may want to bump that up to 30W or more. 50W should have plenty of volume and headroom for just about anything.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
You said your budget was 'around $500' and now you're saying $500 (with room to haggle) is out of budget? You need to be more clear if you want good help.

If $500 is too much just cut the budget on the cab a little bit. I know you really want that cab, but the cab is a passive piece of equipment; it can only be as good as what you put on it. Sacrificing the quality of your amp to get a better cab is as ignorant as it gets. I don't mean to offend you, but that really makes no sense. Maybe look for a used cab instead. Avatar makes a great cab, for around $400 new also.

The band you want to sound like most (ABR) used 6505s.... What else do you need to hear?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
What about a bugera xxx or a b-52 100watt? I just saw these on craiglist their 275 and 400 are those good for what i want and would those be good through the orange?
Quote by tubetime86
You said your budget was 'around $500' and now you're saying $500 (with room to haggle) is out of budget? You need to be more clear if you want good help.

If $500 is too much just cut the budget on the cab a little bit. I know you really want that cab, but the cab is a passive piece of equipment; it can only be as good as what you put on it. Sacrificing the quality of your amp to get a better cab is as ignorant as it gets. I don't mean to offend you, but that really makes no sense. Maybe look for a used cab instead. Avatar makes a great cab, for around $400 new also.

The band you want to sound like most (ABR) used 6505s.... What else do you need to hear?

Its not offending and ya i wana spend around 500 for both if i have to spend alittle more on the head then ill wait for another paycheck at work ill look for the 6505 that will be great on a orange cab?
Quote by asb9pwns
Its not offending and ya i wana spend around 500 for both if i have to spend alittle more on the head then ill wait for another paycheck at work ill look for the 6505 that will be great on a orange cab?

Oh $500 is for both? And you're buying the PPC new? Aren't they like 700+ new? Again look at Avatar. I think I paid $425 shipped for my 212 with V30s. Most will tell you the construction is a little below that of the Orange, but the speakers are the same and the construction is definitely quality, just not quite Orange quality. So I'm told anyway, I have no experience with Orange cabs.

Dear god yes that would be great. I'm not even a metal guy and I'm pretty excited at the thought. A 6505 on the PPC212 would be pro level gear for your genre, no question.

Quote by asb9pwns
What about a bugera xxx or a b-52 100watt? I just saw these on craiglist their 275 and 400 are those good for what i want and would those be good through the orange?

I wouldn't go for the B52, just on reputation, but I'm not familiar enough to completely dismiss it either.

The Bugera is a good choice for you, and a great price... But, it depends on how you feel about Bugera. They've had reliability issues in the past, and their parent company, Behringer, is known for those types of issues too. From what I hear they're great budget amps, but personally I'd be wary.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Feb 8, 2012,
Quote by tubetime86
Oh $500 is for both? And you're buying the PPC new? Aren't they like 700+ new? Again look at Avatar. I think I paid $425 shipped for my 212 with V30s. Most will tell you the construction is a little below that of the Orange, but the speakers are the same and the construction is definitely quality, just not quite Orange quality. So I'm told anyway, I have no experience with Orange cabs.

Dear god yes that would be great. I'm not even a metal guy and I'm pretty excited at the thought. A 6505 on the PPC212 would be pro level gear for your genre, no question.

Ya 500 for a can and 500 for a head and the 2x12 120 watt orange cab is 570 i think
Quote by asb9pwns
Ya 500 for a can and 500 for a head and the 2x12 120 watt orange cab is 570 i think

Oh $500 a piece... That makes sense. Check my edit above on the B52 and Bugera.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Page 1 of 2