I've recently decided that I would like to grab some new tubes for my Egnater Vengeance, but I have no clue what tubes I should get. What complicates this matter more is that my amp is capable of taking pretty much any type of power tube that is used in amps, PLUS I can run two different sets of tubes in it (two of one kind on the outside slots, two of another kind on the inside slots). Other than that, it takes 6 preamp tubes. I would like to brighten the amp up some but not too much, so I was thinking 1 or 2 tung sol 12ax7s in the preamp and the rest jj 12ax7s. As for the poweramp, I have no clue what to use, so please suggest away.
What sort of sound are you looking for?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
How much are you looking to spend? Only reason I ask is if it were me I'd be buying all kinds of matched pairs of power tubes just to try them out. Maybe try to get a decent matched pair of each kind of power tube it takes and then swap them around?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Cathbard
What sort of sound are you looking for?

I kinda want to give my amp a bit more treble and a bit less low end/lower mids. More of a scooped Mesa/Engl -ish sound than what it has, but not too far in that direction. Maybe a slightly tighter sound as well.

Quote by tubetime86
How much are you looking to spend? Only reason I ask is if it were me I'd be buying all kinds of matched pairs of power tubes just to try them out. Maybe try to get a decent matched pair of each kind of power tube it takes and then swap them around?

I thought about that, but I'm not sure how much I'm willing to spend at this point. The only problem I have with that is buying all of those tubes for me to end up liking only one pair of them, then having a bunch of odd pairs of tubes I don't want in my amp. If I could narrow it down to like 2 types of tubes, MAYBE 3, then that might be ok. Plus, I would probably want 4 of the tube so I could try a whole set of one, or that set mixed with another.
I wouldn't worry about mixing and matching power tubes right now. You gig right? Can you afford a new matched quad right now? If so, then do it - you'll need them for back up anyway. I personally like SED =C= or Mullard EL34s.

As far as preamp tubes go I think you are on the right track as far as what you said with the Tung Sols being brighter. Preamp tubes will do a lot more to change the tone of the amp then power tubes will as you know. JJs are always a safe bet and have a warmer/more rounded tone. Maybe also look at Penta Labs 9th Gen and a Sovtek LPS long plate for the PI. If you have some extra cash I highly recommend the JAN Phillips 5751 for either PI or V1.

www.dougstubes.com

Hope that helps
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I wouldn't worry about mixing and matching power tubes right now. You gig right? Can you afford a new matched quad right now? If so, then do it - you'll need them for back up anyway. I personally like SED =C= or Mullard EL34s.

As far as preamp tubes go I think you are on the right track as far as what you said with the Tung Sols being brighter. Preamp tubes will do a lot more to change the tone of the amp then power tubes will as you know. JJs are always a safe bet and have a warmer/more rounded tone. Maybe also look at Penta Labs 9th Gen and a Sovtek LPS long plate for the PI. If you have some extra cash I highly recommend the JAN Phillips 5751 for either PI or V1.

www.dougstubes.com

Hope that helps

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna get a new set of tubes before we go on tour this summer, plus I want my preamp tubes figured out by then. The amp came with 6L6 tubes, so what would change if I switched to EL34's, KT88/6550's, or just higher quality 6L6's? What are the characteristics of the JAN 5751, the Penta Labs 9th Gen, and the Sovtek LPS?
Somebody put me onto this guy

http://www.eurotubes.com/

Suggested trying the JJ valves/tubes, I contacted the guy and he seems really helpful. You just tell him what you're looking for and he sorts out a full set.
It's still on my list but I should have them this year, preferably during the first half lol.
Eurotubes only sell JJ so what do you think they will recommend?

For the sound you are describing I'd go for 6L6's. SED if you can afford them, JJ if you can't. JJ 6L6's are a very nice tube and very affordable.

JAN Phillips 5751's are a very smooth sounding tube, extremely good in the phase inverter. JAN just stands for Joint Army Navy. It isn't a brand, it just means they were made for the military. Lots of old manufacturers had JAN tubes.
I don't know much about the Penta labs tubes so I won't comment on those.
Sovtek LPS are one of the better Sovteks but they are still a bit on the tinny side. Fairly high gain.
JJ ECC83S are quite mid heavy. They make most amps sound Marshally and apart from NOS tubes it's all I'd ever put in a Marshall except for maybe a JJ ECC803 which are slightly less gain, ever so slightly less midrange but very very quiet. I like using ECC803's in V1 of Marshalls.

Here's what I would do.
JJ 6L6's or SED =C= if you have lots of money.
Phillips (or even GE) 5751 in the phase inverter.
JJ ECC83S everywhere but V1. Grab a few other 12AX7's to try in V1. A Tungsol or Russian Mullard would be a good option to try. Personally, I would be going through my collection of NOS 12AX7's until I found the right one for V1. You don't have a collection of NOS 12AX7's? What's wrong with you?

I have found this to be fairly accurate. Have a read.
http://thetubestore.com/12ax7review.html
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
First off, which of my preamp slots will be the phase inverter? I have V1-V6. I was thinking the Tung Sol in V1, a Svetlana in V2, and JJ's in all the rest but the PI, which I would put either the JAN Phillips 5751 or one of the two 311 mentioned if he gives me a good description of what they will do.

As for Power Tubes, I'll have to see about those when the time comes to buy them. If I can afford better ones, I'll go for the SED =C= tubes if I can and maybe Even grab a set of JJ's for backups so I don't have to use the stock tubes and I can keep those as the backup to the backup. Hopefully I can pick up two Svetlana, two Tung Sol, two of whatever I put in the PI, and maybe 5 or 6 JJ's so that I have backups for those too. What would you recommend I carry the tubes in on the road? Is there some kind of case I can buy, will they come shipped in something good enough to take on the road, or should I build something to carry them in?
http://www.egnateramps.com/manuals/VengeanceIM.pdf
Scroll down to page 18. V6 will be the PI.

There are Svetlanas and Svetlanas. The new ones labelled Svetlana are not actually a Svetlana, they are a lifeless piece of crap made by New Sensor (the Sovtek guys). Real Svetlanas are actually SED. They sold the name to New Sensor. SED good, New Sensor bad.

I always carry spares when I'm gigging. I've only ever had to swap out tubes at a gig once but I was sure glad I had spares with me. Tubes are tough. Just stick them in a cardboard box with a bit of padding. To break a tube you pretty much have to hit it with a hammer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
http://www.egnateramps.com/manuals/VengeanceIM.pdf
Scroll down to page 18. V6 will be the PI.

There are Svetlanas and Svetlanas. The new ones labelled Svetlana are not actually a Svetlana, they are a lifeless piece of crap made by New Sensor (the Sovtek guys). Real Svetlanas are actually SED. They sold the name to New Sensor. SED good, New Sensor bad.

I always carry spares when I'm gigging. I've only ever had to swap out tubes at a gig once but I was sure glad I had spares with me. Tubes are tough. Just stick them in a cardboard box with a bit of padding. To break a tube you pretty much have to hit it with a hammer.

Svetlana 12AX7 - For several years the original Svetlana 12AX7 tube from St. Petersburg (Winged "C"/SED) tried to develop a good 12AX7 and mostly failed. The current production Svetlana is a New Sensor product and is a member of 12AX7-EH and Tung-Sol 12AX7 family. All three of these tubes is virtually identical. The biggest difference seems to be in plate coating, gain and sound quality. I find the tube to sound a bit smoother than the EH and it has less gain than the Tung Sol. If you are not inspired by the Electro Harmonix and also find the Tungsol too grainy then this is the tube you want to give a chance. It has everything you want in a good pre-amp. Low noise, no Microphonics issues and very clear and open without being too bright. The construction is on par with the more expensive Tungsol. The price point on this 12AX7 tube is great because it will hold its own with more expensive options. Samples seem very reliable. If you like the JJ ECC83S but want something with a litter more glimmer this is where you should put your money.

That's what the link you posted said about the New Sensor Svetlanas, which is why I thought I would throw one in. Tung Sol is also owned and operated by New Sensor now, so the quality should be similar, but that doesn't mean it is. They gave good ratings to their "Preferred Series", but seeing as how that's their tube, that makes sense. Are those actually any good? Last, they gave the JJ 12ax7 fairly bad ratings compared to the others. Would you agree with them on this? Is there some other tube on their list that would fill the JJ's shoes better?
I have a New Sensor Svetlana 12AX7 in my collection. It is the most lifeless pos I have. Even the Voshod 6N2P's sound better - now that's saying something because they are shit.

I love JJ ECC83S tubes. They are by far my favourite modern tube with the possible exception of the JJ ECC803 in certain situations. Personally I don't think anything touches them - but I like lots of mids.
Of course a good European, British or American NOS tube will slay them all. They truly don't make 'em like they used to.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I have a New Sensor Svetlana 12AX7 in my collection. It is the most lifeless pos I have. Even the Voshod 6N2P's sound better - now that's saying something because they are shit.

I love JJ ECC83S tubes. They are by far my favourite modern tube with the possible exception of the JJ ECC803 in certain situations. Personally I don't think anything touches them - but I like lots of mids.
Of course a good European, British or American NOS tube will slay them all. They truly don't make 'em like they used to.

I'll take your word for it, then

I'm thinking I might throw a Tung Sol in V1 and V2, then. I don't want too much mids or too much of a Marshally sound. Not that I don't like Marshall, but I'm trying to keep my own tone while also blending my amp's tone with the other guitarist in my band's tone, which comes from a Mesa Rectoverb. I tend to like my tone a little on the bright side anyway, although nothing ear-piercing for sure. The Presence and Treble on my amp are both set at about 2 o'clock and the Pearly Gates in the bridge of my LP is a brighter pickup, so I was thinking putting two Tung Sol's in wouldn't hurt anything other than me turning my Treble/Presence knobs down some.
Find yourself a real British Mullard for V1.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Eurotubes only sell JJ so what do you think they will recommend?

I didn't ask him what he recommends and actually I think it was you who recommended him lol. Anyway he just recommends a kit for the desired effect like more gain or less gain etc but he does seem really helpful which is the point I was making.

Anyway I think these guys do NOS valves as well as cryogenic ones including mullard.

http://www.watfordvalves.com/
Last edited by Twidler at Feb 9, 2012,
Well, I'm almost as big a JJ freak as those guys. Just thought I'd point out that JJ is all they will ever tell you to use regardless of what you are trying to achieve.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification