Hey, I'm kinda new to this forums, so I hope I posted this in the right category.

So, I was wondering why some guitarists like Alexi Laiho prefer to use single pickup'ed guitar instead of the regular 2 or 3 pickups. Is there a benefit or something?
maybe they just don't need the extra pickups.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
If it doesn't have at least 3 knobs and a neck pickup, it's not worth playing.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Sound. Best way to learn about that is to play on the equipment in question.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Personal preference mainly due to the style of music eg like Alexi Laiho and Pat O'brien style is metal

I also find that guitars with middle pickups and even neck pickups get in the way of my picking style and type of picking. I find with my style of playing (metal) i don't need a neck pickup so thats why i've got 4 guitars with only a bridge pickup
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Metal uses a lot of neck pup too...

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I have a 3 pick up guitar but took the middle one out as I never liked the sound and it got in my way.. I mainly use the bridge pickup and ever so often Ill use the neck.. This will probably change, once I change the neck one out to something a bit hotter and tonally pleasing
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Metal uses a lot of neck pup too...

Yes and i was giving examples of players in the metal genre who don't use neck pickups. Did you not read it properly?
It's just for what you use, all of my guitars have bridge and neck pups, but I very rarely use the neck pick up at all, mostly because I prefer to play rhythms over leads. There's no advantage to having just one pick up except price (which in the case of an Alexi signature model that isn't even a bonus).
Quote by Mahabajaba
It's just for what you use, all of my guitars have bridge and neck pups, but I very rarely use the neck pick up at all, mostly because I prefer to play rhythms over leads. There's no advantage to having just one pick up except price (which in the case of an Alexi signature model that isn't even a bonus).

1) you can play rhythm or leads on any pickup you want.
2) The neck pickup is usually used for rythm and the bridge for leads cos it cuts into the mix better.
Quote by Mahabajaba

Obviously didn't read my post. The advantage for ME and probaly other people whom i'm not aware of is that the lack of a neck pickup doesn't disrupt MY picking ability
Quote by itamar100
2) The neck pickup is usually used for rythm and the bridge for leads cos it cuts into the mix better.

That's why I do it the other way around haha. I find the bridge pick up to be too harsh and aggressive for leads whereas the neck just smooths it out and makes it sound nice, with my set up anyway. (and by leads I mean solos, I used the wrong terminology lol)

Obviously didn't read my post. The advantage for ME and probaly other people whom i'm not aware of is that the lack of a neck pickup doesn't disrupt MY picking ability

I did, but I was responding to the original post, not yours. I would've quoted it if I was :P
Last edited by Mahabajaba at Feb 8, 2012,
Quote by Mahabajaba
That's why I do it the other way around haha. I find the bridge pick up to be too harsh and aggressive for leads whereas the neck just smooths it out and makes it sound nice, with my set up anyway. (and by leads I mean solos, I used the wrong terminology lol)

I did, but I was responding to the original post, not yours. I would've quoted it if I was :P

So you read my post and still said there is No Advantage?
Quote by jeffmetalhead
So you read my post and still said there is No Advantage?

Yep, as that's a personal advantage, not a general one Also I did say price was an advantage, except on Alexi sig models, cause those are crazy expensive... Though I still want one haha.
Quote by Mahabajaba
Yep, as that's a personal advantage, not a general one Also I did say price was an advantage, except on Alexi sig models, cause those are crazy expensive... Though I still want one haha.

I think the clue is in the name...Advantage...my personal and maybe others i don't know of advantage but it is still an advantage none the less.
Also if you're tossing up the idea of buying an Alexi guitar I think it's worth it as I own 3 of them
Some people don't need bunches of pickups. I play one kind of music for the most part. I need ONE kind of sound, so my main guitar has ONE pickup, because I'm happy with it. Others are not happy with such a limited setup. They may want 5 pickups. I happen to not care.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by itamar100

I think you have this backwards.

The bridge has more treble, true, but the neck pup is louder and smoother.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
I think you have this backwards.

The bridge has more treble, true, but the neck pup is louder and smoother.

I dunno it really depends on what you're doing. Generally speaking it is true that the bridge is better for crunchy rhythms while the neck is smoother for leads, but sometimes you want the opposite effect. You can't really say it like its a rule.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
This thread. I don't even ........

I have two guitars with two pups and one with 4; with split switch, 5. One day I intend to make a slide guitar with one. Sorry what was the question? Different strokes for different folks.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I prefer chocolate.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I dunno it really depends on what you're doing. Generally speaking it is true that the bridge is better for crunchy rhythms while the neck is smoother for leads, but sometimes you want the opposite effect. You can't really say it like its a rule.

You can do whatever you like. I'm just saying if you're going to generalize with a broad statement, at least pick the one that's more correct or common.

^ yeah
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Different people like different numbers of pickups. I recommend that if you don't know which you prefer yet, buy a 2 pickup guitar. They are the most common and the best middle ground for seeing where you want to go.

As a general statement, the Bridge Pickup is brighter and has more output than the Neck Pickup, which usually has less output, more bass, and some more mids.

The neck pickup is usually used for cleans, creamy leads, or liquid-sounding metal leads.

The bridge pickups is usually used for rhythms, or brighter, more clear leads.

Some examples: the intro to Sweet Child O Mine is played on Slash's Neck Pickup, wheras Welcome To the Jungle is all played on his Bridge pickup.

The bridge pickup is brighter with more bite to it, where the neck pickup is more smooth and has more mids.

It's not really a genre-based thing, like some of the previous posters made it sound. I play metal and would be crippled without my neck pickup. Zakk Wylde (from Ozzy and Black Label Society) uses both pickups quite often, as well as John Petrucci (Dream Theater), Mark Morton (Lamb of God), Kirk Hammet (Metallica), Synyster Gates (Avenged Sevenfold), and mant others. You can easily put a different pickup in the neck if you would want a different sound, too.