Hey all, So recently i bought a new house and THIS one has a nice garage which the wife has agreed to let me convert to my "studio". =) For the past several years i have used my electronic drums straight into my interface and have monitored with headphones. I usually record a couple guitar tracks and then go over it with the edrums. So pretty much, silent recording.

Now, i would like to get a band together and have practice here at the house. I dont really want to get an accoustic drum set as well, im not a drummer. I got the eDrums because i LOVE beating on them and i like to tinker with Superior Drummer.

I figured it would be easiest just to have all the amps/drums and stuff setup here so that way folks need only to "show up" to be able to jam. I also have another buddy that just plays guitar so i would like to play drums and jam around with him. problem is its just not that fun mic'ing the amps and monitoring the drums and everything through headphones for "jam" sessions. So....

What sort of PA budget do i need to save up to get a decent PA that would support both my electronic drums (i'd like to get up to say an accoustic drum set sound level) and some vocals?

Stupid idea?
8 channel mixer (at least) and a couple of 200W+ powered bins with a 15" woofer and a horn.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
if it's a garage, don't keep your instruments in it, the change in humidity and temperature might damage them... but budget wise, a trillion $ should suffice xD (sorry i haven't been much help here have i?)
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
lol, a trillion sounds good~! I was hoping to get away with a billionmillion tho. Guess i'll keep saving.

I guess my budget i was meaning what type of equipment, speakers, bla bla bla do i need to make it happen. Once i know what type of equipment i;m after i can start to comb craigslist, pawn shops etc..

Cathbard, those powered bins you refer to adds up to 400watts, Are those powered monitors? Maybe a mixer, 400watt power amp, and then a couple of 15" monitors? I havent heard the term "powered bin"...
Don't cheap out on a PA, I did, and I used it once and the speakers blew half way through a gig. Totally useless for a full band like we were putting on.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

He's just talking about a powered speaker with a 15" woofer and a horn. Most PA speakers will have that. If you go with powered speakers, you would grab an unpowered mixer to send the signals to the speakers (the amps are built into the speakers). that would give you 200W a side, not 400 total.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
$1000 would do it: get a decent powered mixer (Peavey, or Berhinger) and a couple of speaker cabs with a 15" woofer (make sure they can handle at least 500 watts in case you want to expand the P.A. for live performance). An active sub-woofer would be a nice addition because you can get some chest compressing bass drum going.
Sweetness, thanks all - I think this gives me some nice homework to do. I will start checking stuff out to get a feel for costs etc. Appreciate the help!
if you're looking at new gear, check out Carvin. They have some pretty awesome stuff, and it's not that expensive. I have one of their PA's.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
Yeah, I see used PA gear on CL all the time. Most of it looks beat to shit though. I guess that says somehing about the durability
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Yeah, everyone i know that has a PA have had them for 10+ years. Seams to be a system that can take a beating pretty good!

I'll let ya know what i find out there..
A single powered speaker (12" or 15" ideally) with a really cheap basic mixer (Behringer XENYX 802 is what I'd probably spring for) is all you need.

I'd buy secondhand, but brand new you'd be looking at something like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pa202a.htm

I practice with a similar setup (e-kit triggering Superior) and it's a great way to jam.

However, if there's any chance you'll want to use the PA for gigging, spend a bit more and get something more serious.
Definately wont be gig'ing with the edrums and superior. It sounds pretty cool but not sure how it would hold up at a show. I've been jamming on it for the past couple of years and its pretty awesome sounding here at the house through headphones. I wish they would stuff superior into a drum module for a couple hundred bucks! I cant imagine giging with a laptop! haha...

And of course there is the statement from my wife that weighs in on me.. "electronic drums have no soul" haha

As for the PA, short term goal is to get the garage setup to jam/record in.. Hopefully shows will come later but dont even have a band anymore at this point so thats a ways off.