I just sold a 50 watt modeling amp, because I have no need for it for practice and my AC15 beats it for rehearsal and playing onstage. Now I'm deciding between getting something like an old Fender silverface Champ or a little solid state amp to practice in my room or in an apartment. I'm even debating whether I should just go with a Line 6 POD and headphones. Can someone vouch for whatever has brought them the most luck with practicing guitar without ticking people off? The POD is attractive because I could possibly record with it. Whichever would yield the most variety and most friendly volumes, as I might possibly move in with some friends and the apartment complex is right by the police station.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by surjer
Guitar -> Computer -> Amp Sim -> HeadPhones

Works great for jamming late at night when trying not to tick anyone off!

+1

This works brilliantly, and can be done on even the tightest of budgets with great results.

Hardware devices like the POD are definitely worthwhile if you don't like fiddling and tweaking with computers and just want tasty tones ready-to-go.
i would recommend doing a fender mustang. u get the amp so u can choose to play through that or plug headphones in, free modeling software, and you can plug the amp directly into ur computer so u can use it to record.

essentially the only downside i see is that there won't be the footswitch like u'd get with some PODS
I'd choose a modeling amp.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
If you want quiet get the Pod. If you want class get an old Champ or similar. In your situation I'd say get the Pod.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Get a Line 6 Pod or a Zoom G3.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I have a POD XT Live and its great for practicing so yeah, I'd vouch for using the POD with headphones if you're wanting silent practice. I also have a Roland Cube 30x for when I can practice louder.

Typically for practice you'd want modelling amp like the roland 30x or a peavey vypyr simply because it gives you lots of tones at the push of a button (or 2). Or you could get a low wattage tube amp so it generally gives better tones at low volumes. It all depends on what genre you play while practicing really. EDIT: Unless you DO get a Pod/Modelling amp.
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
Last edited by Carl21221 at Feb 9, 2012,
The biggest question is why would a guitarist move into an apartment next to a cop shop? Are you off your nut?

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Bad neighbourhood?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
No neighbourhood is worse than one where there are cops next door.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Apartments sux for playing guitar I know I live in one.

I got the new Fender Super Champ X2 ( killer low what amp ). But even at 15watts into my Krank 4x12 cab it's still to loud at 2am (which is the time I get home from work).

So I got the Fender Mustang Mini 7watt but and I do not know how Fender did it but this little thing is loud and sounds very good but still at 2am I was pissing others off.

So I run the mini into a Line 6 4x12 cab now its loud enough but not to piss anyone off well I think it's not I have not found any more notes on my door asking me to turn it down.

But in the end I just went and got the Line 6 Pod HD500 so now I can jam as loud as I want with headphones on.

Here is my Over-Kill for my apartment:

Randall V2 / into a full stack / Krank 4x12 and Peavey XXX 4x12 cab
Peavey 3120 / half stack / Mesa 4x12 cab
Peavey 6505+ / into what ever cab I feel like
Ibanez TBX150R 2x12
Fender Super Champ X2 / into what ever cab I feel like
Fender Mustang Mini
Peavey Vypyr
Line 6 Pod HD500

And yes I do not get to play with the Big Boys much but there is times that every one is gone and I can fire up the Big Boys.

Also I sold my Randall RT50-H and Mesa Dual Recto.
Last edited by leesops at Feb 9, 2012,
Well, the only reason I'd consider moving into the apartments is that it's a little closer to work and school. I would be splitting rent since two friends are already living there. I could walk to work (it's not a bad part of town, just that's where the popo are situated) and save on gas. If not, well I'd still just like something to play through to save my tube life since I'm kind of a penny pincher.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Feb 9, 2012,