So my old man gave me a guitar a while back, a Kaman GTX 33...it was definitely a fixer-upper...

well, after I dropped a new Floyd Rose in, and Swapped out the pickup with a Joe Satriani Mo Joe (only one pickup, just a humbucker cavity in bridge position) and swapped out the pot (just a volume knob) with an EVH 500k frictionless pot, I'm totally out of ideas how to upgrade this guitar....

Don't get me wrong, for bein a hand-me-down fixer uppger guitar, it sounds pretty darn good! And plays fast too! hell it even looks cool...however, aside from swapping out the wood (haha might as well get a new guitar) I can't think how else to upgrade the guitar and I want to keep it around and use it cause it makes my pop feel good when I use it for recordings too...

Thanks in advance for the advice!
You could put locking tuners on it, to help with it staying in tune. but really its the player, not the guitar that matters
White/Cream Faded 1966 Stratocaster
100 Watt All-Tube JVM410H
1960 Lead Cab-B
-------------------------------------------------
You didn't state what was wrong with the guitar, or what you don't like about it.

Sounds like you're happy with it. Why are you dissatisfied?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
its already got locking tuners on it now, I'm not necissarily dissatisfied with it, just wondering if there is anything else I can do to upgrade it...lol maybe I'm just looking for another project ;p

I think I just have guitar envy... I want to get an ESP/LTD MH1000FR but theres atleast 17 more coach purses the wife needs to buy before I can get another guitar.

so in the mean time, I was toying around with the idea of drilling out a cavity to drop in a battery box so I can put an active pickup in....
Swapping the nut may be worthwhile if you really want to mod the guitar , usually cheap guitars like that have rough cut nuts. Since it's an oddball guitar you'd probably have to have a local luthier cut the nut for you.

I've got a MH-1000 for sale here on UG, for the record
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1512162
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
If the pickup is coil tapable you could buy a 2 way mini switch for it. I always liked guitars with an assortment of mini switches on them.
Not a bad idea n1ckn1ce. Is there a certain way to rout a new cavity when there's already a finish on it? I don't want to crack the finish or something by drilling...

Any advice on a good Neck Pup for Hard Rock/Metal?
Quote by Nrsandback
Not a bad idea n1ckn1ce. Is there a certain way to rout a new cavity when there's already a finish on it? I don't want to crack the finish or something by drilling...

Any advice on a good Neck Pup for Hard Rock/Metal?

Depends. What are the woods and construction on the guitar?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The action is pretty good but i think it could be better... Whatchya thinkin? Maybe get it serviced?
Quote by Nrsandback
So my old man gave me a guitar a while back, a Kaman GTX 33...it was definitely a fixer-upper...

well, after I dropped a new Floyd Rose in, and Swapped out the pickup with a Joe Satriani Mo Joe (only one pickup, just a humbucker cavity in bridge position) and swapped out the pot (just a volume knob) with an EVH 500k frictionless pot, I'm totally out of ideas how to upgrade this guitar....

Don't get me wrong, for bein a hand-me-down fixer uppger guitar, it sounds pretty darn good! And plays fast too! hell it even looks cool...however, aside from swapping out the wood (haha might as well get a new guitar) I can't think how else to upgrade the guitar and I want to keep it around and use it cause it makes my pop feel good when I use it for recordings too...

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Hi, I have a GTX 23 without a bridge. So, as I'm a newbie to electrics, can you recommend a new (cheapish) bridge? You mention a Floyd Rose, but which one? Frank21guitar
Quote by Nrsandback
The action is pretty good but i think it could be better... Whatchya thinkin? Maybe get it serviced?

Maybe consider getting the frets leveled and recrowned if you feel the action could be improved upon. Also consider having the neck adjusted, getting the right amount of relief in the neck is important to getting a nice low action.