I've been messing around playing bass parts with my guitar shifted down an octave. I've actually found a pretty awesome tone the problem is the latency. Doing the amp modelling and pitch shift on separate tracks helped for some reason but it's still enough to be a problem. Anything I can do to fix that?

I'm running reaper with a Saffire 6 and using reapitch.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not trying to make my guitar sound more like bass. I just noticed a distracting amount of latency when pitch shifting an octave down and wanted to know what, if anything, I could do to reduce it.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Last edited by robertito696 at Feb 8, 2012,
Quote by Weirdbag
Record dry guitar and add effects later on

That's what I'll do for the final recording, but for writing bass parts and jamming to songs I'd like to hear it as close to real time as possible.

Quote by lockwolf
Buy a bass

Too expensive and I don't have the room in my dorm, I may get one next year when I move out but until then I got to work with what I've got.

Way to give incredibly unhelpful answers.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by robertito696
Too expensive and I don't have the room in my dorm, I may get one next year when I move out but until then I got to work with what I've got.

Way to give incredibly unhelpful answers.

Yes, because $75 is way too expensive for a used Squier Bass even though you (or someone) shells out $20k+ a year for you college tuition. Maybe skip a few keggers and get a job and you'll have one

Real Bass > Pitch Shifted Guitar any day
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Hey, no need to attack me. Given the massive amount of financial aid I was luck enough to get, I don't pay anywhere near 20k. As I said, its more an issue of space and being able to justify the purchase. I just spent ~$100 on Litho plates, which I need for school. Like every college student money's a bit tight.

I see you in here a lot and you're always blunt and confrontational. I don't get it. Regardless, buying a bass is not an option atm; if you can't offer some kind of advice on how to lower the latency don't post.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Quote by lockwolf
Yes, because $75 is way too expensive for a used Squier Bass even though you (or someone) shells out $20k+ a year for you college tuition. Maybe skip a few keggers and get a job and you'll have one

Real Bass > Pitch Shifted Guitar any day

I've got to agree with your post (not necessarily the money bit).

Been there, done that and you're wasting your time using effects and pitch shift. Get yourself a cheapo short-scale bass and you'll be much much happier.
I'm not trying to get an awesome bass sound for recordings, I'm just noodling around and learning some bass parts. I understand that a real bass will sound infinitely better. I just want to mess around with pitch shifted guitar in as close to real time as possible. Is that such a hard concept to grasp?
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Quote by robertito696
I'm not trying to get an awesome bass sound for recordings, I'm just noodling around and learning some bass parts. I understand that a real bass will sound infinitely better. I just want to mess around with pitch shifted guitar in as close to real time as possible. Is that such a hard concept to grasp?

no it's not hard to grasp, it's just not going to happen. if you really want a more bass sound then crank up the bass on your guitar, use the rhythm pot and nuke all your treble.
To clarify, I'm not trying to make my guitar sound more like bass. I just noticed a distracting amount of latency when pitch shifting an octave down and wanted to know what, if anything, I could do to reduce it.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Funny, I was emulating a bass using pitch shifter on my Peavey Vypyr 75W last weekend, I noticed a tiny bit of latency coming from the amp when doing this.
It' doesn't really bother me as I always line up the tracks in my recording software anyway, only takes 2 ticks
You're pretty SOL when it comes to low latency pitch shifting. You can try the different algorithms in ReaPitch and see if any are lower latency than the others, but you'll probably be better of just using your bridge pick up and then processing your guitar the way you would a bass.

I'd recommend heavy compression or limiting and then running your DI into something like TSE B.O.D. which is a Sansamp simulator. You won't have the pitch of a standard bass but it should give you enough of the feel of a bass for your jamming and writing.
Let's party.
Alright, thanks. I figured there was nothing I could do about the latency but decided to ask anyways. It's not unbearable, I just have to lead the guitar a bit which throws me off.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers