Varies.
12 5%
Don't know.
6 3%
Other
2 1%
Voters: 227.
Page 1 of 3
I believe I recall reading in a psychology textbook that people typically look for/are most compatible with partners of roughly equal intelligence to themselves.
Nearly everyone is gonna want someone comparable to their own. Useless poll will be useless.
Check out my band Disturbed
Are we talking book-smart intelligence here, or quick wit and creativity? There's a big difference between the two, and though I've met and dated plenty who were extremely intelligent in the first way, and plenty moreso than me, I've rarely met anyone who is on the same level as me creatively (and who isn't a huge pretentious she-dick), which I find very unsatisfying. Book-smart intelligence can get very boring very quickly.
This is one reason why I don't do long relationships.

If she's smarter, she's always trumping your ass in arguments, if she's at the same level, you're always trying to trump one another, and if she's stupid, you can't tell her shit.
Quote by StewieSwan
Nearly everyone is gonna want someone comparable to their own. Useless poll will be useless.

ye.
I'm going to risk sounding extremely arrogant, but I chose 'about or more' because I don't often meet women I'm interested in who are smarter than me. They're most usually about as smart, which is quite intelligent. Ideally though I'd prefer having a partner more intelligent than me, especially if they're great at critically thinking and thinking originally.
Last edited by Craigo at Feb 8, 2012,
I want to say more, but I don't think that would be really fair to the really smart girl, lol.

I'd like someone as intelligent or moreso, but with different areas of expertise, that way both parties can contribute to discussion. I love learning, especially from lady biologists.

I biologists.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
I'd want someone that is bright, gets me thinking, and makes me learn more than I already know.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by CoreysMonster
Are we talking book-smart intelligence here, or quick wit and creativity? There's a big difference between the two, and though I've met and dated plenty who were extremely intelligent in the first way, and plenty moreso than me, I've rarely met anyone who is on the same level as me creatively (and who isn't a huge pretentious she-dick), which I find very unsatisfying. Book-smart intelligence can get very boring very quickly.

If they get good grades and don't have much wit or original thought, I don't consider them intelligent
I voted less or equal, but there is a limit to what "less" is.
I'm really intelligent so getting equal is really hard.
I Like Green!
I'd like about as intelligent as me, and would love more intelligent than me. Although people of exceptional intelligence occasionally discourage me because of their brilliance, I truly enjoy conversations that I learn from. I enjoy learning in all aspects of life, and I really love speaking with people who know more than me on a topic because it gives me the ability to learn some stuff for myself.

Edit :

Quote by Craigo
If they get good grades and don't have much wit or original thought, I don't consider them intelligent

Grades =/= intelligence. IMO, anyway. School is designed in a way that true intelligence is often not reflected by grades. Consider Einstein's average grades, or Stephen Hawking having to pass an oral interview to be considered for first honors.

With regards to wittiness though, I consider Stephen Colbert to be very intelligent for that reason. He is very cognitively aware of how to make a situation humorous. He just seems like an intelligent person all around.
Last edited by Jbar at Feb 8, 2012,
the thing i want most in a girl is an intellectual/philosophical side. hard to find when your pool is sophomores in high school... everyone is stupid
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
Depends entirely on the girl. Obviously nobody wants a total idiot, or a total brainiac if they fulfil the uppity stereotype
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Carswell98
I'd like someone as intelligent or moreso, but with different areas of expertise, that way both parties can contribute to discussion.

Now that I think about it this is probably more accurately representative of my views. I love learning about new things I've never taken much time to independently research.
About the same. I don't mind if they're less intelligent than me but I'd rather they were more than less. Basically I don't want them to be ridiculously more intelligent than me, and I want them to be capable of intelligent conversation. I'm not too picky really.
This is why you want a smart girl:
If I could offer one piece of advice to the planet, it would be this: Don't marry for looks alone, and I'll tell you why. In a few years, when Barbara's boobs start sagging, she can get plastic surgery, have them lifted, move the nipple wherever. You can actually go to a titty bar, pick out a set of titties and say, "I want those titties on that woman." If her belly gets too big, she can get a tummy tuck and have a belly like a cheerleader. If her vision goes bad, you can have LASIK surgery and have 20/20 vision. If her hearing goes bad, they can install a device in her ear that will give you hearing as clear as it was the day you were born. But let me tell you something, folks: You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever.

Eventually all the beauty will be gone, so make sure she's smart. Smarter than me is alright.
Well, I don't want a dumb as balls girl, but other than that, as long as she isn't one to attack my ego, I'm flexible with intelligence.
Quote by Jbar
Grades =/= intelligence. IMO, anyway. School is designed in a way that true intelligence is often not reflected by grades. Consider Einstein's average grades, or Stephen Hawking having to pass an oral interview to be considered for first honors.

I heard Einstein did pretty well in school despite people saying against the contrary. Hawking was also doing physics at Cambridge as an undergrad.

Grades aren't intelligence, but they can really reflect intelligence.
Quote by Craigo
I heard Einstein did pretty well in school despite people saying against the contrary. Hawking was also doing physics at Cambridge as an undergrad.

Yeah, I'm fairly confident Einstein's grades in school were nothing short of excellent.
More or the same. I dated a girl who's intelligence didn't match mine for a year and a half and it drove me crazy the whole time and I don't think I could do it again. Although it was nice every now and then to feel smart....
* If my punctuation seems off, it's because my shift button is broken *
I voted for "More or about as intelligent as me", however at the moment I have someone who is (at least in my opinion) less, maybe "about" if you push it. And it's going well. I just know I would appreciate someone brighter at times but then again she's still caring so what do I know. :P
Quote by Craigo

Einstein did exceedingly well at Math and Physics, but due to other subjects, his overall grades were nothing exciting.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2004/06/23/1115185.htm
A like a girl who is interested in literature and philosophy, as well as art. She doesn't have to be as intelligent as I am but if not must be able to think critically and creatively (like Craigo said above.) She doesn't have to be intelligent I'd just like her to be able to form a cogent argument as opposed to falling back on red herring or ad hominem bullshit. I also need a girl who at least understands politics.

OT: As intelligent is preferable but not a necessity.
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Last edited by SFosterS at Feb 8, 2012,
I'm pretty fucking smart (not being arrogant, it's just true). I'm happy with anyone that can play in my league, really.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
I like smart chicks, but if she can't organize and strategize she may as well be useless
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
At this point? Don't even need to have a brain.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
I feel like this - as long as they can have fun, smart, and engaging conversations and state their opinions clearly and articulately with confidence in their beliefs, anything beyond that is okay. If they're not book smart I don't care; there's more than one way to be intelligent. As far as being more intelligent goes, if they're smarter than me, I can learn from them. Win/win, IMO.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I'd prefer someone about as intelligent as me or a little less.
I rarely come across chicks markedly more intelligent than me so I don't know about that scenario.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
As long as they're capable of carrying on an intelligent conversation, I'm fine.

I do prefer someone with more common sense than me though. I'm sadly lacking in that area I'm afraid :P
Under the spreading chestnut tree
I sold you and you sold me-
Page 1 of 3