My band and I have our first real gig this Saturday, which we are excited for. There are a few problems though:

1. We are all lazy people, so we only finished songwriting last week (we're doing three originals, and two covers). How does that sound? We have 30 minutes max, but we're only gonna do about 20 minutes.
2. I feel that our songs aren't very developed, or as dynamic yet.
3. I think our vocalist is out of key when singing her parts.

What do you guys think I should do at this point?
Work as hard as you can beforehand and do the gig. If they go badly, learn from it and keep working harder to have even better gigs.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
writers block
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
Practice.

And in the future don't book a gig if you aren't ready.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Practice.

And in the future don't book a gig if you aren't ready.

this. When I booked our first gig we went through a slump where I thought we wouldn't do well, so you know what we did? Practiced the crap out of our songs, and we pulled it off.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Yup, practice the crap out of all of your songs. If the originals don't sound developed, try and think of what's missing. What parts could use a little flair, what parts drag and need to be made shorter. Express your dissatisfaction with the songs and jam out on em, try and come up with some things to add. Just make sure whatever final version you decide on, you practice it several times before showtime.
The singer thing...try and turn down the instruments at practice so your singer can hear themself better and perhaps fix it....if they are in fact out of key and don't hear it, you have a singer problem.
Quote by zincabopataurio
My band and I have our first real gig this Saturday, which we are excited for. There are a few problems though:

1. We are all lazy people, so we only finished songwriting last week (we're doing three originals, and two covers). How does that sound? We have 30 minutes max, but we're only gonna do about 20 minutes.

1. That sounds fine, but you can't be that into it if you are lazy about writing.
2. Hang on, thought you'd finished songwriting.
3. She needs to practice, or you need to transpose the music.

I think that you shouldn't book gigs if you aren't going to be ready. Booking a gig can be a good motivator to get stuff done, but even if that didn't motivate you you must be lazy!

So you've got a couple of days, hope you've got plenty of free time, as a band, to really put the work in to finish the songs and know exactly what you're playing. Otherwise, well, just play the gig as best you can. You may not get invited back, but there is probably more of a chance than cancelling at such short notice.
At this point your best bet is to smoke a lot of weed, and get super smashed before the show. Then you can go out on stage, play like crap for 15 minutes, puke on the floor wedge, and fall off the stage.

Instant mojo.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by zincabopataurio

wtf do you expect to hear ?
****ing go and practice so that you dont waste people´s time with your pity and mediocre performance.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Well, now that the gig is already booked, you have two options. Three, actually. You can cancel the gig, which will hurt your reputation. Or you can do the gig and hurt your reputation by showing that you're an unreliable, unprepared band. Or you can pracitce as much as you possibly can and make sure the show is ready.