This is an Ibanez Darkstone (dn) 400, made in 2009 in china.
Sapele body and neck
Tight tune t-o-m
22 frets on rosewood board
3 way and 1 tone 1 vol.
Pickups have been changed to SD blackouts.

This is a very heavy guitar, the sapele ensures that but provides for a very well balanced acoustic tone with a great full low end and not so piercing highs.
The rosewood board is bound and has a great wavey figuring in the grain.
It has a fairly thick C shaped neck that is matte finished and surprisingly comfortable to play. Access to the 22nd fret is quite unobstructed.

The tight tune bridge was setup far too low, and had wicked fret buzz on the low end, so I raised it a bit and while the action is still very low there is no buzz.
There are some kind of locking bridge bolts at the bottom of the bridge posts that were loose as hell, so I doubt they were ever used before. Tuning stability is not fantastic, it slips out after a couple hours.

The pickups are actually quite nice, the neck is really fluid and warm making for butter-esque leads and solos, while still retaining clarity for chords.
The bridge is okay I guess, typical active with good cut, great harmonics and does not mud up whatsoever. I haven't tried the stock humbucker sized single coils.

The finish is a 'pop up' finish you can feel the cracked plaster, but a couple imperfections have already led to a couple flakes falling off. Far better finish quality then my MIC arz800.

I got this guitar in trade for a Hamer xt Korina Explorer and as far as I am concerned came out with the better guitar. Im not sure if I want to keep it yet, but I may as the pod x3's high gain models sound fantastic with the actives, and I quite prefer the Blackout neck to my Bkp aftermath neck. (much more fluid, warmer)

We'll see how it goes.

The other guitar is also new to me, an old sears catalogue nova 18 fret acoustic. It sucks, but used to be my buddy Wally's who died last year.
thing of beauty. HNGD.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A

Nice one. It looks a lot like the Mike Mushok baritone guitar.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Thanks guys.
I like the body style, but cheesy finish is cheese.
I've come to understand that I much prefer how warm the neck pups are in 22 fret guitars compared to 24, I may swap these for a steves special/ air norton yet though.

You gonna tape the top to make sure it doesn't crack even more?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Very nice grab! HNGD! And I agree about the finish, looks like dried mud.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
Very nice grab! HNGD! And I agree about the finish, looks like dried mud.

Kinda reminds me of a few visine commercials, lol.
I forgot to mention this is my first UG NGD, and its Ibanez #5 for me so far.
Traded epiphone lp std plus top (paid 200$)w/ tone zone/air norton for the hamer xt korina, then traded that for this. I still feel that the LP was the better sounding guitar, but this is the best playing of the 3 by miles.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Thanks guys.
I like the body style, but cheesy finish is cheese.
I've come to understand that I much prefer how warm the neck pups are in 22 fret guitars compared to 24, I may swap these for a steves special/ air norton yet though.

is that in jest from the other thread? or honest opinion? just wondering.

sometimes its hard to get context with only text.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Honest. The neck pups in all my 24 fret guitars are all fairly bright in comparison, even when I used the same pickups. I much prefer the smooth warmth for leads and have to roll bk the tone pots a fair bit to replicate the results with my 3- 24 fret ibbys.

In hindsight before I had attributed it to cheap woods and crap electronics. It was after reading that thread I put 2+2 together.
Last edited by StonedColdCrazy at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Honest. The neck pups in all my 24 fret guitars are all fairly bright in comparison, even when I used the same pickups. I much prefer the smooth warmth for leads and have to roll bk the tone pots a fair bit to replicate the results with my 3- 24 fret ibbys.

In hindsight before I had attributed it to cheap woods and crap electronics. It was after reading that thread I put 2+2 together.

again HNGD. i don't know your extent of modding knowledge, throw a few bucks down on good pots/caps. it can go a long way. i like bourns for pots, and there are tons of caps out there, $5 on a cap can go a long way. may be $30, but worst case scenario, you can use them in a different project.

just curious, i just saw the two open topics and IIRC you were in the other thread too. i agree with you 100% that those two extra frets rob tone. i just buy the guitar for the purpose it has. does an LP need 24 frets? NO, does a superstrat? me personally 50/50 but
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I havent really played with caps too much, always used what I had or the shops had laying around. No one seems to sell them in stores so I always just ask for any spares at hand. Time for research . I still love my 24 fretters for what they are, its just a slap in the face to find the guitars I avoided for many years sound that much better for leads.