A couple years ago, I bought an American Standard Jazz bass. This bass is the best sounding bass I own, and with my Ampeg Rig, it gives me my ideal bass tone that I hear in my head.

About a year ago, I bought a Squier VM '77 jazz bass, and its the best playing bass I own.

My dilemma is, that the bass I bought for practice/rehearsals/sketchy gigs is becoming my main bass. The Squier doesn't sound nearly as good as the fender, but it plays a lot nicer. The Fender feels good for finger style, but not as great for playing with a pick (Which I do mostly in the band I'm in). I do a lot of Matt Freeman style runs, and a pretty fast solo. The problem is, that I can play the solo on the Squier, and not the fender. I'm having to practice songs a lot more, because after learning them on the Squier, I have to struggle with it on the fender.

On the Fender, the action is slightly higher than the Squier, the Squier is pretty buzzy. It feels like my arm gets tired a lot faster, and that I cannot pick as fast on the Fender, as if the tension on the two basses is a bit different, the Fender feeling just a bit floppier. The Fender has a string through body, and the Squier does not. The Squier wears 45-105's now, but back when they both wore 40-100's I had the same issue. Would stepping the Gauge up on the Fender help give me a little more tension, without losing much playability?

Any other suggestions on making the Fender play like butter? Maybe something that I might have overlooked?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TL;DR
How can I get my Fender Jazz to play as well as my Squier Jazz, how to make my Fender a better feeling bass.
Last edited by Pandawithapick at Feb 9, 2012,
Sound like you just need to get your Fender a proper set up.

Your American Standard also has a gloss finish on the neck correct? You may just be more comfortable on the satin finish on the Squiers neck, although I'd hardly think that would be the sole root of your problems.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Pandawithapick

TL;DR
How can I get my Fender Jazz to play as well as my Fender Jazz, how to make my Fender a better feeling bass.

I'd fix that lol

Also, what user above said. Get your Fender set up similar to the same fashion as your squier and use the same string gauge. If you increase your string gauge and decrease your action you will not lose any playability since they're both counter-acting each other. The lower the action, the easier to play as well as possibility of more buzz if string gauge is too light.
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
I've found myself leaving my MIA Strat at home and playing my Squier a lot more too. After a lot of work and upgrades, it plays just as well (if not better) and with the HH pups it fits my genre better, too. Just wish it had one more fret.

But I'm not going to mod the MIA or put 'buckers in it.

If your Squier is too buzzy, then you might want to check with a reputable luthier to see if the frets need dressing/leveling. Also you might get the tone you want out of it with a pickup upgrade; might as well replace the pots and jack at the same time with some real Fender parts. And the tuning machines.
Quote by Maillouxlp18
I'd fix that lol

Haha, thanks bro.

Also, I have had this bass set up at least 6-7 times, from a guy who really knows his stuff. I haven't tried getting it set up with a different string gauge yet though. Maybe that is the next step. Maybe I could request to get the Fender step-up like the Squier.
Last edited by Pandawithapick at Feb 9, 2012,
Maybe he doesn't really know his stuff.

Did you try your Fender before you bought it?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I've loads of sympathy. I just bought a MIA Jazz as an upgrade from my Cort which was a starter bass. The Fender just isn't as well made though it sounds glorious. I set up both myself and the Fender neck is really tricky to set up. The bridge is crap, the machine heads OK but only just the nut had to be re-filed and some of the fret ends are pretty rough. It just looks like they haven't taken as much care in the manufacture as the Koreans. The maple they used in the neck isn't as good either.

Your Tech may not be as good as you think of course but in my case the two guitars are set up with exactly the same skill level. The Fender looks and sounds great but the £200 Cort is much nicer to play.

Next set up I think I'm going to dress the frets, meanwhile I'm thinking of upgrading the pups on the Cort.
Well, as the others said: Get it set up properly. If that doesn't work, you can always swap the necks on the basses.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Quote by Fishybones
Well, as the others said: Get it set up properly. If that doesn't work, you can always swap the necks on the basses.

It isn't at all that simple.

Out of curiosity TS, what year is the Fender? I've owned/played a few around the mid 90's -2007 range and always been left unimpressed. Used to own a 98 P-bass and couldn't for the life of me get the thing to play nice, simply wasn't happening. I've played a fair few of the current line and all have played really quite nice, and I own two USA Jazz's ('08 and '10) which both play incredibly.

Just some food for thought.
Take it to a tech and get it set up.

Not that hard.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Ziphoblat
It isn't at all that simple.

When I think about it, I have no idea why I wrote that.

Ahh, the joy of being awake for 32 hours.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1