I'm predominately play in a metal band.. pretty much always. So my music doesn't really rely on heavy effects.

BUT I am heavily influenced by RATM, Radiohead, Passion Pit, etc and that is where all the effects come in.

I dont really want to build a intricate pedal board yet, cause I feel it would just sit there as I wont need it for my band, but I want something that I can mess with.

I want some kind of system that will have multiple effects (Reverb, delay, chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Whammy, Reverse Delay, etc) They dont have to have all, but more the better, for me.

I want to spend like 300$ maybe more.
Used is fine. I live in Austin, so my CG is pretty active.
I will use it live but my main purpose for it is to mess around with effect (Also when I cover songs on youtube which uses effects)
Current Gear: Jackson PC3 w/ Dimarzio Paff fred(<-- I think lol) and vintage blues, Peavey 3120 w/ orange 2x12 and a morley bad horsie II wah.

(p.s its been awhile since i've been on UG, so if you need more info let me know.)
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at Feb 9, 2012,
Line 6 M9. They're $400 brand new, but easy to find used. It does everything you just said, and more. Here is some info on it.

http://line6.com/m9/
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
Line 6 M9. They're $400 brand new, but easy to find used. It does everything you just said, and more. Here is some info on it.

http://line6.com/m9/

We have a winner.

The M9 units are a great buy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
We have a winner.

The M9 units are a great buy.

Mmhmm. I feel like a broken record because I seem to always be hyping/recommending something from the M series, but man, they're fantastic.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I guess we found a perfect match. I'll look more into it. Thanks guys!

These are HQ effects right? I dont want them messing up my sound. (I dont want something that sounds like a crappy low end MFX)
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
okay, I also see there is M13, is there any reason I should get that over the M9? Or is it even worth the extra money?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
The zoom G3 has better fx than the m9 IMO. And it's cheaper and it has a better display. Look it up on google.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
hmm. Any thoughts on this?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
hmm. Any thoughts on this?

Yes, I love the effects, reverbs and delays in the g3. They're amazing. The mod an tape delays are just stellar. The tremolo is very good, the univibe is great, the Flanders are awesome, and the crazy and wacky effects are pretty cool. I highly recommend it for effects.
Quote by kutless999
Yes, I love the effects, reverbs and delays in the g3. They're amazing. The mod an tape delays are just stellar. The tremolo is very good, the univibe is great, the Flanders are awesome, and the crazy and wacky effects are pretty cool. I highly recommend it for effects.

Have you tried the M9 before?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
Have you tried the M9 before?

No, but I've heard many demos of it and the fx IMO aren't as good as those found in the g3. Many people agree with me.

It's also smaller than the m9, which is a good thing and it has amp models which the m9 doesn't have. It's also half the price.

Here are all the included effects in the g3

Last edited by kutless999 at Feb 9, 2012,
hmm Okay, Just by looks of both, it seems I can have more effect on the go with the m9. Is this true? You can only have 3 picked with the G3 right?

and I'm not that big on the amp models, I plan on using the distortion directly from my amp, and i'll only spice up the cleans on my amp. so the acutal sound will be coming all from my amp, but effects to only help it.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
On the m9 I believe you can only have three effects at a time but on the g3, some effects are dual effects, for example, you could have a comp/phased in one slot, a delay/reverb in another slot and a tremolo in one slot which makes a total of five effects at a time.
Quote by kutless999
On the m9 I believe you can only have three effects at a time but on the g3, some effects are dual effects, for example, you could have a comp/phased in one slot, a delay/reverb in another slot and a tremolo in one slot which makes a total of five effects at a time.

I mean more like I have 6 choices of effects to use on the M9 and only 3 on the G3. I also have been reading around and It said the G3 isn't user friendly.

I want to hear thoughts of other before I get the G3 or M9.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
I mean more like I have 6 choices of effects to use on the M9 and only 3 on the G3. I also have been reading around and It said the G3 isn't user friendly.

I want to hear thoughts of other before I get the G3 or M9.

Those who say the g3 isn't friendly don't know what they're talking about. The g3 is the most user friendly pedal I've ever had and it takes just a few minutes to get great tones out of it.

What do you mean by 6 effects?

On the g3, you can have any effect even if it's the same effect in any slot. Does that clear things up?
Quote by kutless999
Those who say the g3 isn't friendly don't know what they're talking about. The g3 is the most user friendly pedal I've ever had and it takes just a few minutes to get great tones out of it.

What do you mean by 6 effects?

On the g3, you can have any effect even if it's the same effect in any slot. Does that clear things up?

No I mean like, say for M9 my setup is
Bank 1: chorus 2:Reverb 3: phaser
Bank 4: Delay 2: Different delay 3:Flanger

I have 6 choices in one go, without having to press bunch of buttons.

In G3 its seems like you can only have 3 choices, in one go.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
On the g3, you can have any three effects on one preset, then to get to the others, you just have to switch presets and you have three more. Same thing on the m9, you have 3 effects at once and to get to the other three, you have to switch to that preset.
Quote by kutless999
On the g3, you can have any three effects on one preset, then to get to the others, you just have to switch presets and you have three more. Same thing on the m9, you have 3 effects at once and to get to the other three, you have to switch to that preset.

on M9 you have 6 ready to go, but you can only have 3 all at once.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Try them both out before you buy. I personally wasn't a fan of anything about the G3 besides the price (and it does have amp modeling, but I haven't used amp modeling in years). I thought the sounds and interface weren't on the same level (As I wouldn't expect them to be with the price), but obviously some people feel the opposite way. Guitar Center carries them both, so you can try them head-to-head.

As far as the M13 vs the M9, it just gives you more scenes and more effects setups. So, on the M9, you have 6 different scenes (pedal setups, so 6 different effects, 3 at a time), and on the M13 you get 12 effects, 4 at a time). I had the M9, and moved up to the M13 because I really love layering reverb with different delays and modulations.
I have an M13, sort of wish I had an M9 to have a smaller board since I have some other pedals I like to use as well.

Anyway - the M9 looks to be the same size as the G3 to me.... maybe you were thinking of the larger M13?

The effects on the M series are by no means bad in any way. They use the same effects from the DL4 and other "xx4" pedals which are extremely popular.

Look into the latch scene mode for the M9, this video shows pretty well how it works. M13 Latch Mode I'm sure it works very similar on the M9, if you think about them as presets you would I think 6 on the M9. If you use it in the regular mode (not sure the name) the six buttons each are programmed with their own effect, but you can have only one from each column on at a time, up to 3 effects at once since it has 3 columns. Each button works pretty much like an individual stomp box in that mode.

As with anything, you really just need to try out all of your options to find what fits your needs best, the G3 might be better for you plus it's cheaper.
Something more advanced (although Line6 does not make it anymore) is the Pod X3 Live. The functions on it are designed for live use (and you can integrate more than one player/vocalist/bassist on it). I paid over $600 for it, but with all my rack mount units and several pedals, I rarely if ever use it. It's mint and will sell it for $300 plus shipping. You can PM me if interested... do some searching on it and check YouTube for clips. It's a great pedal board.