So I know that theyve been trying to pass the SOPA & Protect IP acts for a little while now but the legislation was suspended until further notice, last I had heard anyway. I was fine with that, thinking that file sharing sites and the like would remain unaffected until such time as the bills actually passed. What confuses me is, they havent effectively passed these bills into law, so why did they shutdown megaupload, and arrest their employees?

last week my girlfriend and I tried going on Btjunke to download some movies, and bam, btjunkie is dead. The message on their site said they "voluntarily shutdown" but i think they were coerced into shutting down and they did so to save themselves from jail time.

Your opinions pitmonkeys?
BTJunkie closed themselves as they were tired of fighting. Probably surrendering while they were ahead and before they could actually be fined/arrested.
Also Megaupload earned money with premium accounts people could sign up for, while allowing copyrighted files to be shared (and they were obviously aware of this). SOPA forbids copyrighted material being shared/even shown with pictures, but Megaupload made money from it which is a different law.
Last edited by Pagan_Poetry at Feb 9, 2012,
The arrest of the owners of Megaupload was a joint effort between US and NZ law enforcement agencies which had been in the planning for over 2 years. Its timing was a coincidence.

EDIT: According to Emails sent in between employees; the owners of megaupload rewarded certain users who uploaded pirated materials for bringing so much traffic. They also failed to remove files that breached copyright several times.
Last edited by devourke at Feb 9, 2012,
The US had enough grounds to bring them in for arrest even though it was in another country, US clients or not I don't think they should have had the ability to shut down mega video.

So the actual shut down of megaupload was with current laws

The fact that megaupload did to a degree to fallow the policy and actively remove content that broke the agreement and still got shut down is the most sobering part for me.
Ah i see, makes sense that megaupload went first then.

Im hoping that the government doesnt get their way with this, they get their way far too often, and it seems as though people are getting tired of it.
Quote by BigHeadClan
The US had enough grounds to bring them in for arrest even though it was in another country, US clients or not I don't think they should have had the ability to shut down mega video.

So the actual shut down of megaupload was with current laws

The fact that megaupload tried to fallow the policy and activly remove content that broke the agreement and still got shot down is the most sobering part for me.

so they actually were going to remove all the illegal content and follow the laws, but still got shutdown? figures, you can follow the law but if you dont do it their way, you go to jail anyways.
Well they claimed to fallow the laws to the best of their ability, if what dev said is true then they are guilty of quite a few things. But I wouldn't say that it should be enough to close megaupload, arrest the owners probably but to shut down the site as a whole is excessive to me.

But everything has more than one side so it's tough to say, regardless multiple US facility where attacked by Anon. So we will probably some form of repercussion or backlash within the next year, probably aimed towards internet laws and policy's.
Quote by BigHeadClan
Well they claimed to fallow the laws to the best of their ability, if what dev said is true then they are guilty of quite a few things. But I wouldn't say that it should be enough to close megaupload, arrest the owners probably but to shut down the site as a whole is excessive to me.

But everything has more than one side so it's tough to say, regardless multiple US facility where attacked by Anon. So we will probably some form of repercussion or backlash within the next year, probably aimed towards internet laws and policy's.

I read an article about the anon attack a little while ago, they're everywhere lately huh? they came out of nowhere and attacked, seems like they're really pissed this time.
The whole thing was covered very well by NZ Media and yes they did break the law. Most of the time a copyright complaint was made it was intentionally ignored.
Well computers aren't quite the mystery they used to be, now that they are available to pretty much everyone it's hard to remain ignorant to how they work.

But it's more so people jumping on the band wagon, it's kind of like "hey they just took down the department of justice servers, lets do that with them!" but they have for the most part be only making attacks because they believe an injustice has been done and that the internet should be free.
Well I do agree with that, the internet should be free. and i think that anyone who downloads files for free in the privacy of their own home, whether it be movies or music, if they arent selling copies or sending it out all over the net, and just watching it at home by themselves, arent really doing anything wrong are they? its more the people pirating dvds and making a fortune off of it that are to blame for this
Well in the case of megaupload yes, but remember studio recording was unbelievably expensive and record labels where absolutely needed for music to thrive back in the day. Thanks to napster and the like they essentially had their business stole from them, now instead of trying to adapt to these changes (torrent,streaming etc) they are blowing a huge amount of money trying to stop it when realistically it can't be.

Well not without major repercussions
I agree, they're wasting time and money trying to stop something that cant really be stopped, and i think the harder they try the more people are going to fight back and realize their government is a bunch of douche's who care little for peoples freedom online, and i believe it infringes on first amendment rights
Well I'm in Canada so I wont be directly effected as downloading stuff is legal, but any other sites that are hosted in the US going down can still make my day miserable.

Personally I don't think that it will happen, it's a bill that has gotten a lot of attention and Obama did claim he would veto it even if it did move up to the higher parts of parliament.

So we shall see!
ah. to be in canada where i can drink legally, and download anything i want. thats the life lol.
Quote by BigHeadClan
Hey we need all that music and beer to help us through the winter here!

haha, didn't say i was gonna steal yours did I?