Page 1 of 5
What is your favourite Beatles album and why?

I have a tough time picking one, but for me it is going to have to be Rubber Soul. Rubber Soul was the moment were the Beatles ceased to be a simple rock and roll band and truly stepped forward ahead of the peers and towards becoming amongst the greatest bands of all time.

Rubber Soul arguably became the first true album to come from the Beatles, one which no song fell out of place in. Rubber Soul inspired Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys to write Pet Sounds, which then inspired the Beatles to write another album and the rest they say, is history.

So which album is your favourite?

inb4 'beatles are overrated'
Magical Mystery Tour. I think it's their most innovative album, with a lot of firsts and a very unique character to it.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Stones > Beatles.
Last edited by The Madcap at Feb 9, 2012,
Rubber Soul
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
might be kind of boring and obvious but Sgt. Peppers gets my vote, then Rubber Soul, and Abbey Road,
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Magical Mystery Tour

great blend of songwriting, variety and innovation. Experimental without being boring, pretentious garbage. My personal favourites anyway. Sgt. Peppers and Abbey Road are close contenders though, i've always found Rubber Soul and Revolver to be a little overrated compared to their other work tbh.
Quote by Carswell98
might be kind of boring and obvious but Sgt. Peppers gets my vote, then Rubber Soul, and Abbey Road,

People forget that things like Sgt Peppers and The Godfather are obvious picks for obvious reasons.
The acclaim had to come from somewhere, right?
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
People forget that things like Sgt Peppers and The Godfather are obvious picks for obvious reasons.
Now, the Godfather is f*cking brilliant no doubt, but I still never understood the hype of Sgt. Pepper. I really only like "A Day In The Life" and "She's Leaving Home" (which is my all time favorite Beatles track. Other than that, never cared for it much.
Poll?

Abbey Road is the best album. You can tell they were all having fun during the recording, and weren't bickering constantly.
Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit?

Revolver
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I'd probably go with Magical Mystery Tour, and then Abbey Road, and then Sgt. Peppers.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Quote by The Madcap
Magical Mystery Tour.

Rubber Soul is the only Beatles LP without a bad song on it, so let's go with that. Revolver is next best. A Hard Day's Night might be the best radio pop album ever recorded, so that's third. Pepper is fourth. It's got really interesting production and songwriting for the most part, but golly day there are some terrible songs on that album.
Last edited by due 07 at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by kingbabyduck
Poll?

Abbey Road is the best album. You can tell they were all having fun during the recording, and weren't bickering constantly.

Now i'm no Beatles historian, but wasn't that when they were bickering constantly? like right before they broke up?
Quote by Pagan_Poetry

Oh yeah, I know, it's just not as interesting as someone bursting in and saying "Tony Sheridan and the Beatles" or some other garbage
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

1967-1970 hits album

*edit: And "A Day in the Life" is one of my favorite Beatles tracks, second only to "Something."

Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,
Somebody spoke and I went into a dream..

"aaaaaahhhhhhhhh"
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by The Madcap
Now, the Godfather is f*cking brilliant no doubt, but I still never understood the hype of Sgt. Pepper. I really only like "A Day In The Life" and "She's Leaving Home" (which is my all time favorite Beatles track. Other than that, never cared for it much.

As a whole it helped change what full albums could be. It had this loose concept (made of mostly "singles"-material) that doesn't show until the very end when A Day in The Life starts. It's a world they created for us and we break back to reality and our every day lives riddled with our jobs, school and the news we get from all angles. The rest of the album is a safe haven the beatles made for us through the lonely hearts club band, where music explored various states of being while showing hints of reality (like Getting Better where it briefly mentions beating a woman but quickly goes back to a happy chorus). I think it's a brilliant album but if people preferred their other albums or don't even like this one that much, then oh well. Different tastes. Nothing wrong with that.
Revolver, bitch.

Let It Be doesn't get enough love though.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by due 07

Rubber Soul is the only Beatles LP without a bad song on it, so let's go with that. Revolver is next best. A Hard Day's Night might be the best radio pop album ever recorded, so that's third. Pepper is fourth. It's got really interesting production and songwriting for the most part, but golly day there are some terrible songs on that album.

Come on man. Magical Mystery Tour had one of the most creative mixes of all time on it. Give it some credit.

Revolver and Rubber Soul are awesome, and I get why those would be your favorites, but we're all entitled to our opinions too.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Am I the only one who thinks "A Day in the Life" is kind of... terrible? John's part is good. Otherwise it's just two half-written songs that really don't fit together well -- really, listen to it, it's ridiculous -- hiding under a veil of feigned ingenuity with the orchestral build-ups.

It's not as bad as "Good Morning" though, that's for sure.
Quote by eGraham
1967-1970 hits album

*edit: And "A Day in the Life" is one of my favorite Beatles tracks, second only to "Something."

Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,
Somebody spoke and I went into a dream..

"aaaaaahhhhhhhhh"

Yes. One of my all time favorite songs.
Just one of the most beautiful tracks ever recorded. So many parts make me get shivers, from the opening guitar/piano chords, the part you mentioned, to the very last ringing chord. If we had to pick a song from modern music that can be considered a masterpiece, this would be a high contender.

Quote by due 07
Am I the only one who thinks "A Day in the Life" is kind of... terrible? John's part is good. Otherwise it's just two half-written songs that really don't fit together well -- really, listen to it, it's ridiculous -- hiding under a veil of feigned ingenuity with the orchestral build-ups.

Nah I know a few people who feel the same way. They were two different songs originally, after all. I think they work together in a very weird way, kind of in a night/day way. Also it is a great mirrored representation of how John and how Paul wrote music.
Last edited by Pagan_Poetry at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by due 07

BLASPHEMY!

Nah, not really. I see where you're coming from. Honestly, I dunno why I love it so much, it just attracts me in the right ways. John's "dream" part is just eargasmic icing on the cake, to me.

Also, I really, really love Beatles music from the orchestral phase they went through. It's pure Beatles sound.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by due 07

Where'd you lift these opinions from?

I can't really say to be honest, I'm not a Beatles fan.
Quote by The Madcap
I thought you hated the Beatles?

My mom was/is a huge Beatles fan and I grew up listening to their music. I may not enjoy it these days, but I'm very familiar with it.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
I think Sgt. Pepper is extremely overrated and is easily their worst album. Although A Day in the Life is probably one of the best songs ever made, the rest of that album isn't that great. Revolver and Rubber Soul are two of the best I've ever heard.

Last edited by MinterMan22 at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by due 07

Yeah i'd rather watch 2 girls 1 cyst than listen to that piece of shit.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
Yeah i'd rather watch 2 girls 1 cyst than listen to that piece of shit.

Preachin' to the choir. Srsly.
Quote by MinterMan22
I think Sgt. Pepper is extremely overrated and is easily their worst album. Although A Day in the Life is probably one of the best songs ever made, the rest of that album isn't that great. Revolver and Rubber Soul are two of the best I've ever heard.

obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but yours is wrong.
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Quote by TOMMYB22
Now i'm no Beatles historian, but wasn't that when they were bickering constantly? like right before they broke up?

Well it probably wasn't like it used to be in the early days, but since they knew it was coming to an end, and were content with that, didn't really have the need to bicker and fight. Also, Let It Be was recorded before Abbey Road and was probably when they fought the most during an album, so anything coming after that is going to look like they were fighting less.
Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit?

Quote by kingbabyduck
Well it probably wasn't like it used to be in the early days, but since they knew it was coming to an end, and were content with that, didn't really have the need to bicker and fight. Also, Let It Be was recorded before Abbey Road and was probably when they fought the most during an album, so anything coming after that is going to look like they were fighting less.

Yeah apparently the documentary that was made during the recording of Let it Be is infamous for being a "look into the break up of the band".
Quote by The Madcap
Magical Mystery Tour. I think it's their most innovative album, with a lot of firsts and a very unique character to it.

Laugh all you want, there are very few Beatles track that do anything for me. The Stones had so much more swagger to them, they seem like a dirty rock n' roll band, The Beatles never hit me as such.
Magical Mystery Tour
White Album
Abbey Road
Sgt Peppers
Revolver
Rubber Soul
Let it Be
Help
Hard Days Night
Please Please Me
With the Beatles
Quote by Carswell98

obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, but yours is wrong.

Why? The only song on it I really like is the last track. Mr. Kite, Getting Better and When I'm Sixty-Four are alright too, it's the rest of it that doesn't interest me at all. Lucy in the Sky is my least favourite Beatles song, Good Morning not that far behind. Their earlier albums that aren't getting much love in this thread like Beatles For Sale, With the Beatles or Please Please Me I enjoy more than Sgt. Pepper.

Last edited by MinterMan22 at Feb 9, 2012,
Quote by bradulator
Revolver, bitch.

Let It Be doesn't get enough love though.

its because it doesnt have dont let me down, one of my personal favourite beatle songs. let it be naked > let it be
i dont own let it be naked though....
Page 1 of 5