Im looking at getting a new amp, i currently have a voxad50vt that ive had for about 3-4 years and the built in effects are going crazy on me. My main guitars are A fender standard strat and an epiphone les paul, The two that im looking at are the Marshall class 5 and frontman 212. I really play alot of everything but the main styles i like are blues (SRV) and Old metal/Rock (Randy Rhoads, EVH) I Know the frontman has a real nice clean and the Marshall is all tube but ive never had a tube amp before. I would mainly be playing in a room but occasional jamming with a drum set so i want to know how the Marshall would be for that. If i got the frontman i would probly buy a good pedal with the extra cash.
The Class 5 is a much, much better sounding amp than a Frontman. However, it will barely keep up with a drummer and certainly won't keep up with him and remain clean.
The Frontman is a pretty crappy amp but it is loud enough to keep up and if you use a nice pedal you'll get away with it.
What's more important to you? But more to the point, "why those two amps?" They are such totally different animals that it's hard to imagine how you settled on a choice between those two.
I recommend reading the questions posed in this sticky:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
Then come back here with the answers so we can recommend the appropriate amp for you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If the Vox Amp isn't sounding as good as it used to, you probably need to replace the 12AX7 tube. Apparently ElectroHarmonix 12AX7s are the best for the job.
The Class 5 probably could hang with a drummer (I've used a Peavey Valveking Royal 8 5 watt amp for the same), but you can forget about cleans at that volume.
The reason i chose the Marshall is more because its a tube amp that is somewhat in my budget with a tone that i like, and i seriously play both blues (which i would imagine the fender) and rock (Marshall?) I guess my main thing was if the marshal was really that much better of an amp and i think i pretty much answered all of those questions on that link. i know there very different amps both within my budget. But i didnt realize the marshal would have a a dirty clean clean at high volumes. also my vox still sounds fine but the issue is with the built in effects they turn themselves on and change everytime

ps. didnt realize 'vs' threads were a no no haha
Answer the questions in that thread I linked you to. There are lots of options out there but we need to know that info.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My Budget is 3-400
My genres like i said are from Blues (SRV) to Older Metal (Randy Rhoads)
New or used doesn't make a difference
And like i said mostly playing in a room but occasionally with a drummer
Im in inland empire
and my current gear again are an fender strat, epiphone les paul and a vox ad50vt
3-400 what? USD, Euros, Pounds, shiny pebbles from the nation of inland empire. Wtf is "inland empire"? We ask for location so we can look up what's in your area. Prices and availability vary massively from country to country.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sorry usd, Inland empire is in US California i know your talking crap on me but that shiny pebbles comment made me laugh
Is this anywhere near you?
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/2780991420.html

Stick a tubescreamer in front of it and you'll get very SRV-like. The distortion on them is crap but as a platform for pedals you aren't going to get much better than that. Certainly miles and miles ahead of a Frontman.

Some more:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msg/2824429301.html - Marshall DSL401. Fine choice
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/msg/2832667164.html - Mesa Subway Blues
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 9, 2012,
Grab that DSL. Would be a great amp for you.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by xxbrian2x
Is 180w overkill though? i thought 100 is more then i would need is this the same amp or is it a different model?
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/2837934294.html

The dude who wrote that ad is an idiot. 180w is the power consumption. 60w is the output power.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Grab that DSL. Would be a great amp for you.

It seems pretty nice but what does he mean by it needs bridge rectifier work?
The Deville is the big brother of the Deluxe. It would also be a fine choice. Out of all of those though I'd snap up the Marshall DSL401. They are a mighty fine amp. Can do blues well if you keep the gain down and crank the volume but will also take you to old metal with aplomb.

And what Matt said, the guy read the power consumption off the back of the amp and thought that it was the output power.

I missed that part about the bridge. He means it needs replacing. That does make it a bit of a gamble. I'd grab it but I am capable of fixing it myself. You have to take his word that it is in fact just the rectifier though. One must ask, "how does he know that's all that's wrong with it?"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 9, 2012,
it also seems like he changed the speakers and tubes and after fixing up cars i dont really trust other peoples work.. even though that seems pretty simple, does that problem make the amp un playable as it sits? and what would fixing that entitle?
If the bridge rectifier is blown it is unplayable. They don't partially fail either, either they work or they don't.
Here's what I'd do 'twer I you. Tell him to fix it and you'll pay him the $35 but you won't buy it until it is fixed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ok well ill have to call in the morning because ots 1 am now but thanks for all of your help
That Mesa looks mighty tempting too. I don't know a lot about Mesas though. Maybe somebody else knows more about those? Hard to go wrong with a Mesa. Looks to be in prettty good condition.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification