I know the title might seem silly, but I am actually a seasoned guitar player with the idea in my head that I want a guitar with a Floyd Rose. I have seen more posts about it being such a pain in the ass to change strings that it's almost intimidating.

With that being said, for those of you with FR systems, were you intimidated at first? Did you want to throw the son of a bitch through the window? How long was it before you were comfortable?

I just don't want to go into it thinking that I am going to get something amazing and it being more than a headache than I bargained for.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
When I first picked up my FR guitar I tried to set it up myself, that was a horrible, horrible decision. If if needs initial set up when you buy it, get it done by someone who knows how. Changing strings is quite a pain at first too, and you will want to throw it out the window, but you get used to it reasonably quickly. All I can say is, no matter how many videos and how to's you watch initially, that first set up is nigh impossible, get used to the system changing strings first, then if you feel game you can try set ups after that. To this day I still don't feel entirely comfortable doing the changes myself, but I'm still relatively new.
My first guitar had a fixed bridge. 2nd had a trem but a strat style one. 3rd through 12th* (or something) have all had double locking trems. I love 'em.
The first one that I got with a floyd was an Ibanez JS100 which had an Edge III which is notorious for being one of the worst floyd copies there is, but I was blissfully unaware of this and frankly I didn't have any trouble with it at all. Changing strings is not really that hard, it's just slower. The only thing that threw me off at first was wondering where the ball end of the string went, not realising I was supposed to cut it off.

Anyways, the real question is not whether you should be intimidated by it but rather whether you actually want one or not. Yes they are more work to set up but once done right they offer damn near unmatchable tuning stability and you get to have fun with dive bombs and flutters and stuff. So if that sounds like something you want then go for it. Maybe just post again with some guitars you had in mind so the good people of this forum can advise you. EG if possible probably best to avoid the Edge III or cheap floyd copies if you can, but some of them work pretty well.

*I don't own 12 guitars I just trade/sell them etc...
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Honestly, after you've changed strings a few times, it becomes an easy job. Tedious, but not difficult. If you're really worried then start with a cheap licensed floyd, that way it's not a disaster if something goes wrong (not that it should), and you can swap it out for something nicer when you're confident, like an OFR or a Schaller Floyd Rose. Hope that helps
The people on this forum over-exaggerate it so much it's not funny. Especially with all of the resources online, it's not that bad. You'll never get good at setting one up if you never try it.

The first time I set one up, it was an RG7620 and it took me about 2 hours. Not very difficult, just time-consuming. After the first time alone i was a lot better at it and simple setups should take less than a half an hour, depending on what you're doing.
Thanks for the advice guys. I have actually been looking at a lot of Ibanez guitars in the $500-700 range. Got my tax refund back and wanted to take advantage of GC's Vday promotion. As far as FR goes, it seems like they use a ton of different systems. Is there any in that range that is a bit more "official".

I have a Strat that I love, just looking to get a 2nd guitar for more of the heavier stuff.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
If you're looking at Ibanez guitars then try and get something with an Original Edge or Edge Pro. A lot of the newer models use the Edge Zero which is also a very good trem (the Zero 1, not so much the Zero 2).
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Just don't:
- Get an Edge 3 bridge and expect it to stay in tune after the first two months.
- Try to down-tune your guitar without setting it up properly, and then wonder why your bridge is acting funny.
- Do an impression of Dragonforce throwing your guitar around by the Floyd's bar and expect strings to not break.

A properly set up, decent quality Floyd - used sensibly - is nothing to be afraid of and piss-easy to work with.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Just don't:
- Get an Edge 3 bridge and expect it to stay in tune after the first two months.
- Try to down-tune your guitar without setting it up properly, and then wonder why your bridge is acting funny.
- Do an impression of Dragonforce throwing your guitar around by the Floyd's bar and expect strings to not break.

A properly set up, decent quality Floyd - used sensibly - is nothing to be afraid of and piss-easy to work with.

Hows 6 years with an edge 3? Still good!
I herman li'd the **** outta that guitar too .
Not saying buy an edge 3, but theyre not THAT bad.

TS: my only advice to add is learn to set it up immediately. I spent way more on setups then my guitar is worth before I learnt. Its pretty simple shit once you get down to it really.
No, you should not be intimidated. The changing strings part itself is not bad, its tuning the thing thats hard. But as many people will tell you, when you have the thing balanced, it will stay pretty much that way, so then it wont be so bad. Only bad thing then is that you cant change from E standard to Drop D for example. But your guitar will stay in tune longer, and its much easier to adjust action and the like with a FR. And, if it turns out you dont like it (like me), you can always just block it. Its very easy to do, I actually just did it to mine yesterday. I love my guitar so much now, incredible sustain.

tl;dr dont be intimidated.
Ibanez RG1570Z w/ BKP Holy Divers
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 /w Guitar Rig 5
Stupid clumsy fingers
It's not a pain in the ass, but it does take a fair amount longer to change strings/tunings if it's floating. It sounds though like you're not sure about it, or maybe wouldn't use it that often. I was in that boat, just didn't use my trem enough to justify the time I spent changing tunings/strings/intonation, given I only had 1 guitar at the time, so I sold it and got something else. If you read the manual that usually comes with guitars with Floyds, check out the sticky thread and watch a youtube vid or two, you should get it down pretty fast.
mine beats me up and steals my lunch money

Quote by MrFlibble

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wouldn't be afraid if you have the required tools to deal with any issues and aren't scared of setting up your own guitar really.
you shouldn't be intimidated by a FR trem if you take the time to understand how it works and what the parts are called.

if you understand the principles behind how one works, and you know the names of all the parts, they're super intuitive because you have some basic understanding of what everything is supposed to do. this makes regular use easier because you're less likely to screw it up, and it makes problem solving easier.

they are certainly time-consuming, but not necessarily difficult to work with if you have some concept of what you should be doing. if you're clueless and buy it cause its cool, you'll suffer miserably
I would suggest a kahler bridge with a floyd nut equipped guitar. my jh200 has that setup and i prefer it over my floyd guitar the kahler is mounted solid on the body for more sustain and there is a screw you turn in and it locks and turns it into a fixed bridge plus each saddle is adgustable in hieght and width. if your used to a fixed bridge sometime your palm will push down a floys while a kahler is solid at the bridge
Ahahah, that image says everything!

FR is only worth it if it's materials are good. Otherwise and ZR bridge is WAYYYYY better
Proper initial setup (bridge should be parallel to the strings), it's just "longuer" to setup initialy because you'll have to tune, reajust the string, retune, reajust the string, and on until you are tuned and that the bridge is parallel.

Don't forget to do your intonation also, but this should be done on a fixed bridge also!

Once it's done, changing strings can be done a certain order: 4-3-5-2-6-1 (should be tuned this way also), but you don't "have to absolutely do it this way". Just will get you less hassle.

If you want to be able to go to Drop D from standard, just put a block so that it's in "dive only" and you'll be fine!
I don't usually get intimate with my Floyd Rose, but whatever floats your boat I guess.
Last edited by FearMyLightning at Feb 10, 2012,
^ haha
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by cdr_salamander

With that being said, for those of you with FR systems, were you intimidated at first? Did you want to throw the son of a bitch through the window?

I had to get my PhD just to be able to set it up.

Quote by cdr_salamander

How long was it before you were comfortable?

Seriously? Like 30 minutes, which includes re-balancing it after changing to a heavier string gausge. It's not as hard as people claim it is. It just takes patience.

Quote by cdr_salamander

I just don't want to go into it thinking that I am going to get something amazing and it being more than a headache than I bargained for.

Then stay well away from the cheaper ones. Read the related sticky thread on which systems are very good and which should be avoided.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
It seems a bit intimidating at first. Treading on unknown territory. But, it's really not bad at all. The only part that always tightened up my stomach was doing the intonation. I had a bad tendancy to strip the screw heads. And it's not hard to do. But if it bothers you, you can always have someone else do it. But you save money doing it yourself. And it's knowledge into something you love. Why not learn to do it yourself? Just take it slow. It's not as daunting as it seems. Good luck.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
Thanks for all the advice guys. Really.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE
i do not know, my first guitar had a floyd. it was a washburn wg248, purchased in 2002ish for $110 new, with floyd. granted this is ten years ago, there was less information out there. i was capable as at the time a 12 year old kid to set it up out of the box following directions, i printed off the computer. that was before youtube. i am 21 now. i had never really played that much other than a squier i bought two weeks prior to mess around with. i decided i wanted humbuckers... lol.

true story.

don't be intiminated, as long as you can follow simple directions or watch a video (the youtube wasn't exactly there when i did mine). you will have very few problems.

restringing them isn't that bad either.

i haven't done my ibanez edge pro as it is a very different looking, but with very similar parts and construction, but i will watch a video if i can't figure it out, and not have a problem.

they aren't a big deal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah I hear you man. Especially 10 years ago, hell the Internet didn't have sh*t. I still haven't ordered a FR guitar yet, I am actually considering going with an Agile Interceptor 625 or just sucking it up and saving for a BFR JPX-6 which uses a traditional style tremolo. I wish the Rondo Music would actually make that 625 model without actives.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE
My first time with an FR wasn't horrible, do a bit of research ahead of time though and it really isn't hard just time consuming. For me I find I rarely ever use the trem, I just like the tuning stability you get with the locking bridge and nut.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I can say from experience that licensed FRs tend to be terrible. Honestly, just don't even bother. However, I know a guy who swears by the real thing and has either an OFR or an Edge tremolo on all of his guitars.
The first Floyd I ever touched was a cheap knock-off on a low-end guitar. It threatened me with a knife, stole my car and forced me to do horrible, horrible things. Worst thing is, it never called me back.
The first Floyd I bought was on an Ibanez Prestige and I have to say that I am truly happy with it. It's gentle, smooth and best of all, always comes back on it's promise of tuning stability.
I real like my FR, I Have a black chrome one that came on my warbeast and its pretty sweet. one piece of advice when changing the strings, its replace one string at a time, what I mean by that is only remove one string, tune it up, then move to the next one and repeat, no constant tuning up for a string change, and also you do have to cut the ball-ends of the strings off because of the way they go in, so if you don't have any wirecutters, buy some when you buy an FR.
If you find out how the device works and have the patience to work with it the Floyd Rose is a great tool. If you do not want to or like fiddling with things bypass any guitar equipped with a trem and stick to a fixed bridge. But,once the strings are properly stretched and the guitar properly set up a Floyd is one of the most stable bridges out there.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.