Anybody who has played the solo tell me..How hard is it? Is it possible to play it with only year and a half playing? What's the hardest things in the solo? Sweeps?
In the eye of the tornado , blow me away!
Quote by Voodoosnake
Anybody who has played the solo tell me..How hard is it? Is it possible to play it with only year and a half playing? What's the hardest things in the solo? Sweeps?

In my opinion is one of Megadeth's more difficult solos. You saying you've been playing for a year and a half means nothing. What can you play so far?

The hardest thing for me was getting the slides perfect and adding vibrato to the bends. Give it a shot and see how it goes.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I'm gonna quite confidently say that you wont be able to play it, and if you think you can, you're probably just taking shortcuts and lying to yourself.

That's the sad but honest truth.

I could be wrong though and you could be a seriously dedicated as **** guitarist who practises shitloads and is seriously good after 1.5years. Doubt it though. Sorry bro.
Ive been playing for almost 2 years and I can play it decently at the moment. I made a cover of me playing it a bit after I played for 1.5 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YKYrzojDcw

I had been playing every single day for more than an hour since I started playing. Its definitely one of the hardest megadeth solos, the hardest part of the end after the fast arpeggios. If you practice alot you can get it down. Start practicing now, and in a few months you might get it good.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by bustapr
Ive been playing for almost 2 years and I can play it decently at the moment. I made a cover of me playing it a bit after I played for 1.5 years.

I had been playing every single day for more than an hour since I started playing. Its definitely one of the hardest megadeth solos, the hardest part of the end after the fast arpeggios. If you practice alot you can get it down. Start practicing now, and in a few months you might get it good.

Very good attempt for having played only 1.5 years, but this is proving the point vayne92 made above.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by bustapr

Not a particularly good attempt.

Your vibrato is weak, your bends are out of key and the fastest parts of the solo are sloppy and undefined. This solo was/is clearly beyond your reach, try again later.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
After 1,5 years there is no way you get the phrasing down right. That doesn´t mean you shouldn´t try though. As long as you focus on bendings, vibrato and the slides instead of only trying to get the fast stuff right. These are the things you should take from the solo.
i can play symphony solo, ashes in your mouth (both), high speed dirt (mustaine) and alot of other mustaine solos.
Thats pretty cool.
Anyway, it took me way to long to go from" I can play this" to "I can play it well, I can play it beautifully, I can play it with balls".
Start earlier.
Quote by Facecut
Thats pretty cool.
Anyway, it took me way to long to go from" I can play this" to "I can play it well, I can play it beautifully, I can play it with balls".
Start earlier.

This so much.

There's some solo's i could play 2 years ago that i would still struggle with today. But that's only cos i could "play" them. I couldn't play them well. I could just hit the notes but only in the most pathetic manner and to an untrained ear it might sound impressive, but any trained ear would know i suck.

Today i could still play some of those solo's and i'd still struggle, but it would sound 100times better.

THERE IS MORE TO PLAYING GUITAR THAN HITTING THE RIGHT NOTES

That's something many people need to learn. I'm still learning that.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Not a particularly good attempt.

Your vibrato is weak, your bends are out of key and the fastest parts of the solo are sloppy and undefined. This solo was/is clearly beyond your reach, try again later.

i wasnt trying to brag or say I play it good or looking for views or reviews, I was just giving an example of how someone whos been playing 1.5 years was able to play the solos and how it sounded. Im aware it wasnt very good, but it still fits the question. 1.5 years isnt enough to get the solo sounding epic, but it is enough to set some ground work.

learn most of the solo, practice it, then find the parts you really suck at, then learn the techniques in it and keep practicing.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Have a look at this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPp22hv_4jY
It's not about how fast you can play, it's about how clean and perfect you can play it. Afaik, the solo is.. difficult, but doable. Takes a while to get down, but in the end, the trickiest part is getting it absolutely perfectly clean. It's all about the details.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
If you try and force yourself to play a solo like this after a year and a half, you could end up developing some really bad habits and sloppy playing. I could be wrong but if you are going to learn it, play it very very very slowly and focus on every single note, don't move onto the next phrase till you've perfected the last one 100 times straight.

This is an advanced solo make no mistake about it.
Quote by Voodoosnake
i can play symphony solo, ashes in your mouth (both), high speed dirt (mustaine) and alot of other mustaine solos.

Doesn't matter.

There are only two categories of thing: things you can't do and things you can do. The only thing you can do is practice to get things from one group to the other.

Quote by bustapr
i wasnt trying to brag or say I play it good or looking for views or reviews, I was just giving an example of how someone whos been playing 1.5 years was able to play the solos and how it sounded. Im aware it wasnt very good, but it still fits the question. 1.5 years isnt enough to get the solo sounding epic, but it is enough to set some ground work.

learn most of the solo, practice it, then find the parts you really suck at, then learn the techniques in it and keep practicing.

If it doesn't sound good then you can't play it. Especially not if it's sloppy.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
This is how it should be covered: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0czeb4TPYA

PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
I feel like Friedman had a better sense of the solo, considering he wrote it. Broderick does an awesome job with that solo, but Friedman's renditions of it feel like they have.... something to them that Broderick doesn't quite capture.
Quote by Voodoosnake
I never tried that solo, but I downloaded the Guitar Pro tab to see how it is.

What I can tell you: first part is pretty easy, last part is not. I don't think it's an appropriate solo for someone who has been playing for only 1.5 years. I have been playing for 5 years and right now I wouldn't be able to play the last part (I'm a rhythm guitarist though). You could do it if you start VERY slow and then slowly build up speed as soon as you can play it cleanly and without errors.

Off topic: you want to focus on solos, but can you play Megadeth RHYTHM parts? They have a lot of cool riffs, and some are not easy. Try them.
I don't know what you can play, so all I can say is 'not sure'. I've been playing for seven years and I can sight-read it and improvise it by ear, though I could never have attempted that when I was at eighteen months. The speed would have seized my fingers up.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by Dayn
I don't know what you can play, so all I can say is 'not sure'. I've been playing for seven years and I can sight-read it and improvise it by ear, though I could never have attempted that when I was at eighteen months. The speed would have seized my fingers up.

A couple of years earlier I would have thought the same thing about my abilities. I would have just looked at the technical side of the piece. Now I wonder what it would sound like if you read it by sight. I can´t help it but being a little bit sceptical. Why would you brag like that:-)
Quote by Poglia
I never tried that solo, but I downloaded the Guitar Pro tab to see how it is.

What I can tell you: first part is pretty easy, last part is not. I don't think it's an appropriate solo for someone who has been playing for only 1.5 years. I have been playing for 5 years and right now I wouldn't be able to play the last part (I'm a rhythm guitarist though). You could do it if you start VERY slow and then slowly build up speed as soon as you can play it cleanly and without errors.

Off topic: you want to focus on solos, but can you play Megadeth RHYTHM parts? They have a lot of cool riffs, and some are not easy. Try them.

I do play Megadeth RHYTHM..Know alot of songs.
Quote by Voodoosnake
I do play Megadeth RHYTHM..Know alot of songs.
If you can play it cleanly and without errors at full speed, then you are very good for 1.5 years.
Quote by Poglia
If you can play it cleanly and without errors at full speed, then you are very good for 1.5 years.

I can..I know (and when I mean I know, I nailed these songs in rhytm) Devils Island, The Conjuring, Wake up dead, in my darkest hour, hook in mouth, set the world afire, holy wars, hangar 18, high speed dirt, symphony, ashes in your mouth, sweating bullets, vortex, she wolf, peace sells..
I think the solo is pretty simple. I'd give it a 5 for difficulty on a scale of one to ten. It should be easy for any guitarist playing for 3 years. keep practicing
Last edited by ooominhooo at Feb 10, 2012,
Quote by ooominhooo
I think the solo is pretty simple. I'd give it a 5 for difficulty on a scale of one to ten. It should be easy for any guitarist playing for 3 years. keep practicing

Sounds pretty immature to me son. Most players with 3 years of experience phrase poorly. This solo will not forgive that.
Last edited by Facecut at Feb 10, 2012,
Quote by Facecut
Sounds pretty immature to me son. Most players with 3 years of experience phrase poorly. This solo will not forgive that.

Not for players who practice.
Quote by ooominhooo

Not for players who practice that particular style. I don't think i could play it at the moment but i've never played a single megadeth song before. It depends on your strengths and weaknesses. Some people who play that solo may not be able to play the comfortably numb solos.
Quote by ooominhooo

+1
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Quote by ooominhooo

Be my guest to give an example.