Its my first ever gig tonight with. Never played on stage or in front of everyone tonight. Kinda nervous but excited too. Just hope i dont go to pieces when i get up there.

How was your first gig and have you got any tips to get me through it in one piece!
yeahh, don't drink too much.

Try to have some stage presence as well but to let it interfere too much with your actual playing, and the main thing really is have fun.

Also, my first gig (well real gig that wasn't a school performance) went really well even though i was really nervous, getting praise from people that you don't know is pretty cool and makes you feel good about your playing.
Before you go to the gig, make sure you have everything you need:

Guitar(s), pedal(s), TUNER!!!!, pick(s), amp etc

Good luck dude, the second time will be much easyer
Quote by guy_tebache
dont stop if you muck up, just keep playing..

Yeah, tell the rest of the band that too. If you mess up, or if something breaks, keep going until the end of the song. Then, don't be afraid to take a little time to fix something before the next song.

Make sure you're in tune.
Make sure you can hear each other (try to do a decent soundcheck).
Warm up.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Yeah man, i know my limits when it comes to booxe and playing. Im planning on have maybe two pints tops before hand and one during
Quote by Mr.-Bungle
Do not stage dive. They will NOT catch you.

This is very, very important.

Do I hear the wisdom of experience in these words?
Also, before you go on stage: Breathe and relax. Remeber that you're doing this for fun, and those who who have showed up to watch aren't there to critic your music. Just have fun and don't worry to much!

Also, as others have said: Don't drink to much before you go on stage. alcohol dulls your senses and reaction time.. so... NO GUITAR FOR YOU!
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Last edited by Fishybones at Feb 9, 2012,
Just put all your effort into it. The first gig I played was one of the best days of my entire life, I loved every second of it. We played so well we had the audience clapping to a jack-of-all-trades thrown together once-off cover band playing at a Christmas party for entertainment. I played my heart out.
Heh this is cool, takes me back to my first gig.
Only difference is, I bet you can play, I played a gig within my first month of picking up bass, and I can assure you I did not play well. One thing that might help nerves is to not look at the audience, if you're gonna look forwards, look above, they won't be able to tell. This applies to most audience-based activities, giving a presentation etc...
hey, great advice everyone. My one concern is that, because the headline band pulled out, we could end up playing to a room of about 10 people. It sound daft but i'd rather play to 500 people than to 5
Quote by LivinJoke84
hey, great advice everyone. My one concern is that, because the headline band pulled out, we could end up playing to a room of about 10 people. It sound daft but i'd rather play to 500 people than to 5

If you end up playing to an empty room, play the best gig you can. Its not the end of the world and you dont impress anyone on giving up or getting shitty just because no one turned up. Make a name for yourselves by ALWAYS putting on a good show.
Doesn't sound daft, totally understandable, only advice I have for that scenario is to just do. I've played a room of 20 people before, and the scariest part was paying the venue the rest of the hire at age 15 with 0 income... it will only bother you so much if you let it - just rock that shit!
are you playing lead guitar or doing vocals ?

if you are just playing rythm is not like anyone is gonna pay attention anyways so.. chill.

just trolling btw.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Feb 9, 2012,
Well, think about this: When Motorhead started out, nobody came to their concerts
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Quote by Slashiepie
are you playing lead guitar or doing vocals ?

if you are just playing rythm is not like anyone is gonna pay attention anyways so.. chill.

just trolling btw.

Ha ha! Im the only guitarist in the band so i'll be doing rhythm and lead i guess. No doubt my heart will start pounding as i approach the first solo.
Preparation is the key.
Know the music, know the set.

If you use FX make sure you know which sounds you need for each song and be able to quickly access them.

Make sure all your gear works, and have a back up plan if something breaks.
eg, spare guitar, spare amp, if no spare amp know how to DI into the PA etc.

Spare strings, guitar tools, tuner etc.
Take a torch.
Take a couple of bananas for some energy before you go on. Drink lots of water. Maybe one alcoholic beverage is acceptable, but best not to take any.

Take a toothbrush and wash bag - I honestly play better when I feel nice and fresh LMAO

So long as you have put the hours into practicing as an individual and as a band you will have a great gig.
Don't let the nerves bring you down. Nerves can be a good thing. Channel that energy. Use it to bring out your best, not your worst. Nerves are natural.

No matter what happens, enjoy it. Look at the audience when you play - connect with them.

Good luck.
My main tips are:

1. Relax
2. Don't get wasted
3. Enjoy yourself
4. Failing that, try and look like you're enjoying yourself. The crowd will pick up on nerves/lack of confidence.
5. Tune up between songs where possible.
6. Make sure you've double checked all your gear works.
7. Use fresh batteries
8. Bring spare strings/batteries/leads/power supplies where possible.
9. If you have any 'dodgy/tempramental' leads or pedals, don't use them. It is never 'alright on the night'. Especially first gig night.

Not to make you nervous, but I'm hoping you put on a fresh set of strings earlier in the week, stretched them and let them settle? Nothing worse than snapping a string at a gig.
Be confident, and make sure you have everything you need

And you might wanna watch out with new strings, they can go out of tune quite easy (at least on my guitar) especially when you have a floating tremolo.

Have fun!