What's going on, UG?

I'm a guitarist of two years experience and lately, I've been into Bullet For My Valentine. I'm trying to play Waking The Demon but it's all downpicking in the intro and verses. I can keep up with it, but after a while my shoulder starts hurting and I've got to stop.

My question is, what are some ways that you guys practiced downpicking? Did you just set up a metronome and speed it up every so often? I really want to know.

Thanks, UG.

-Syx
This post brought to you thoughtfully by Syx
.show_Gear://
.load_guitar: Jackson_Rhoads.24_frets
.load_amp: Crate_G40C
.load_pedals: Digitech_distortionfactory_7 ; Dunlop_original_crybaby
.load_mic: Shure_PG58
i usually find other songs that i can play only down picking and just try to play along with those. a lot of Bullet for my Valentine songs are good for that, like Her Voice Resides or Ashes of the Innocent. Just keep playing the main riff with down picking over and over again, and you will quickly notice that you will be able to do it for longer, and your speed will increase.
My Guitar Rig:
Peavey 6505+ Head
Peavey 6505 slant cab
MXR Smart Gate
MXR Noise Clamp
Ibanez ts-9 tubescreamer
Ibanez RGA72tqm with EMG 81/85

Other Guitar Gear:
Fender Vibro Champ
TTM Guitars Devastator
LTD EC-200
@14xjake
You must be a Bullet fan too. Cool.

I can do the riffs just fine, it's just that I was wondering what everyone else does for speeding up their downpicking.
Quote by asixex
@14xjake
You must be a Bullet fan too. Cool.

I can do the riffs just fine, it's just that I was wondering what everyone else does for speeding up their downpicking.

Play it until you are faster, it's a simple as that.
Quote by asixex
What's going on, UG?

I'm a guitarist of two years experience and lately, I've been into Bullet For My Valentine. I'm trying to play Waking The Demon but it's all downpicking in the intro and verses. I can keep up with it, but after a while my shoulder starts hurting and I've got to stop.

My question is, what are some ways that you guys practiced downpicking? Did you just set up a metronome and speed it up every so often? I really want to know.

Thanks, UG.

-Syx

Your shoulder shouldn't be involved at all, if your shoulder hurts then you really need to look at your technique.

Take a good look at your posture and make sure you're not adjusting yourself for downpicking, take a long hard look at your picking and make sure you're not tensing up (which it sounds like you are).

Quote by MegadethFan18
Play it until you are faster, it's a simple as that.

No, play better until you are able to play faster. If you just keep playing the same way you'll never get any better than where you are.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah, it's really hard to keep your shoulder loose with the intense right hand stuff... but it's absolutely essential, both for avoiding injury and for improving your playing. You need to take it slow, and concentrate on keeping your shoulder relaxed. I'm working on the same kind of stuff myself and it's a bitch, but you have to do it.
Thanks for the answers guys. I played a while longer earlier and my shoulder didn't hurt that time. I'm completely self taught so everything I know about technique is trial and error.

Thanks again.
Try not to exaggerate your picking. It tires you out faster. Move your arm, wrist and hand as little as possible.
I think I found out my problem. I was using 1.14 mm Snarling Dog Brain Picks. I switched over to my X-H Dunlops and I have no problem keeping up and even getting ahead of the song. I think the grip on the pick was what slowed me down.
Quote by asixex
I think I found out my problem. I was using 1.14 mm Snarling Dog Brain Picks. I switched over to my X-H Dunlops and I have no problem keeping up and even getting ahead of the song. I think the grip on the pick was what slowed me down.

Just as bad as being behind.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Before you can downpick fast you need to be able to do it slowly without tensing up. The only way is to play the riff really slow while keeping both arms and hands as RELAXED as possible. Tensing up is never gonna help you improve
Quote by asixex
Thanks for the answers guys. I played a while longer earlier and my shoulder didn't hurt that time. I'm completely self taught so everything I know about technique is trial and error.

Oh God I kow the feeling brother
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I tried learning this song early on and it went terribly. I'm STILL alt picking the damn thing, but then again, I haven't tried it since working endlessly on Metallica's Creeping Death and MoP. I may be able to manage with purely downstrokes. Anyways, as previously stated, just keeping practicing as slower tempos to engrain this fingering into your muslce memory and then build up speed. Metronome, metronome, metronome!