I play mostly hard rock, so obviously, if I start gigging, I'll have to play standing up on the concert.
When I was in a "band", I got used to play standing, but since it's over, I got into the habit of just sitting while I practice. Now I kinda suck at playing standing. (especially on the higher frets..)
What I'd like to know is if it's better to practice sitting and then it becomes somehow easier to play standing or practice only standing to get better at playing standing?
what are the better tactics?
Last edited by Yekex at Feb 9, 2012,
just set your strap to the same height level it is when sitting down should get rid of most of that problem. the problem with the higher frets is that they are closer to you, preventing you from coming round at the proper angle and stretching. not all of us can keep the guitar at phallus height.

it also might help to have a look at how a lot of people hold their guitar on stage.

theres the beetles high rider:

the jazz hold:

the metal squat:

and the paul gilbert:

...probably best to stay away from the paul gilbert.
You have to do both really. I mean ideally you practice all the time standing up but who wants to stand for hours on end for those mammoth sessions?

Another way of going about it is to have the strap adjusted so that there's no height difference between sitting practice and standing practice. If you're not going to do that then you pretty much have to dedicate some of your time to practicing standing up, otherwise you just won't be used to it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I prefer the Eric Johnson. Center of the body of the guitar is exactly on the right hipbone.

I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by Lord Waltaa
I prefer the Eric Johnson. Center of the body of the guitar is exactly on the right hipbone.

all other positions lie somewhere between these. thats somewhere between the beetles and the paul gilbert :3
Î know, but man... How sweet is Eric Johnson.
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by Lord Waltaa
Î know, but man... How sweet is Eric Johnson.

11 on the guitarichter scale.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You have to do both really. I mean ideally you practice all the time standing up but who wants to stand for hours on end for those mammoth sessions?

Another way of going about it is to have the strap adjusted so that there's no height difference between sitting practice and standing practice. If you're not going to do that then you pretty much have to dedicate some of your time to practicing standing up, otherwise you just won't be used to it.

This. That way you will notice where you have to use different fingerings, for example a more diagonal movement over the fretboard rather than the vertikal stuff that is so comfortable in the sitting position.
One thing I've found handy when I practice standing up is to stand partially on my amp, it helps me get a better angle for the fast solos. Playing rhythm parts isn't all that different standing up but when I start building speed the leg-up usually helps...give me a leg-up also the strap adjustment thing is very helpful.
When initially learning something I am sitting down , then later I go to standing up.