Hey guys

In a hell of a pickle. Chasing a new amp cause my shitty ol frontman 65R has pretty much shat itself, so its time to upgrade. Basic budget is 1500AUD, running it with an American dlx strat, with a boss OD3 and Blues driver2. Play a range of tunes, from blues to hard rock.

Heard good stuff about the HRD clean channel but so so about the drive, but probs not a problem with the two pedals, same as the blues junior and havent had a chance to play the AC30 yet. Trying to get something with sparkling leads that will pair with a strat well. Any suggestions or tips are very very welcome.

Cheers
I would avoid the ac30cc or any of their Custom Classic series. They just aren't the same AC30's that you'd expect them to be. HRD would probalby give you more versatility compared to the Blues Jr so I'd go with that.
yeah the HRD has a little bit more grunt than the blues junior, im more inclined to look that way. my neighbours are gonna hate me but...

so the AC30cc are pretty ordinary?? change in speakers or circuits?
I played the HDR, I liked the cleans but I hated the distortion on it. And since an extra channel = more expensive, the HDR is a rip off. The blues Jr is slightly better but I tried the Vox ac30 and I loved it. It has warm cleans and when cranked, the top boost can get pretty awesome.
The HRD is a good loud, clean platform for pedals, but the OD channel is pretty bad. The Blues Junior is better sounding in all respects, to my ears anyway, but it has trouble staying clean over drums. Also the Blues Junior is single channel, so getting OD from it without a pedal means cranking it, or adjusting your levels appropriately... So no footswitching OD, but with your pedals that shouldn't be an issue.

For me the choice between those two would come down to needs. Do you gig? Do you jam with drums at all? I'd rather have the BJr (I do have one,) but if I was a gigging musician I'd be forced to go with the HRD (or something else) I think.

I can't comment on the AC30 as I have no experience with them. Unfortunately.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Look into the Egnater Rebel 30. Loved the one that I tried out, great cleans/overdrive and a lot of versatility.
Quote by tubetime86
The HRD is a good loud, clean platform for pedals, but the OD channel is pretty bad. The Blues Junior is better sounding in all respects, to my ears anyway, but it has trouble staying clean over drums. Also the Blues Junior is single channel, so getting OD from it without a pedal means cranking it, or adjusting your levels appropriately... So no footswitching OD, but with your pedals that shouldn't be an issue.

For me the choice between those two would come down to needs. Do you gig? Do you jam with drums at all? I'd rather have the BJr (I do have one,) but if I was a gigging musician I'd be forced to go with the HRD (or something else) I think.

I can't comment on the AC30 as I have no experience with them. Unfortunately.

This.
I had an ac30CC before i got my deluxe reverb, and i wasn't too impressed by it to be honest, but if you like it, you like it. Ive gigged with a HRD a few times. The cleans are great and it takes pedals extremely well. And its a hella loud.
Gearz
Gibson SG Standard(with BG Pups Pure 90's) -> BOSS TU2 -> Jetter Jet Drive -> EHX Big Muff w/ Tone-Wicker -> HBE Germania 44 -> BOSS DD-20 -> Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo -> Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Get the HRD and mod it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you get the HRD, get rid of the crappy groove tubes ASAP. I love the way the JJs sound in mine.
what tubes do you reckon i should put in the HRD if i get a hold of one? hunted down the blues junior and played in today, wasnt bad, but wasnt great. didnt like that fact that it didnt have a separate distortion channel, not that i would need it often but in case i wanna kick it up a bit more for a bit of soloing. we do small gigs and jam with drummers etc (loud as all hell, arent they all...) so thinking maybe the HRD will stay clean with the pedals over the top into the higher volumes that i need...
Unless you mod it the HRD doesn't have a separate distortion channel either, it has a separate shit channel.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would say check out one of the Kustom Coupe amps. From what I've heard the cleans are very similar to fender but with way better overdrive. Price is around the same for as the HDR also.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
Quote by guitarguychris1
I would say check out one of the Kustom Coupe amps. Price is around the same for as the HDR also.

+ a lot.

TS if you can score a coupe 36 you'd be pretty much golden.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Rickjames09
what tubes do you reckon i should put in the HRD if i get a hold of one? hunted down the blues junior and played in today, wasnt bad, but wasnt great. didnt like that fact that it didnt have a separate distortion channel, not that i would need it often but in case i wanna kick it up a bit more for a bit of soloing. we do small gigs and jam with drummers etc (loud as all hell, arent they all...) so thinking maybe the HRD will stay clean with the pedals over the top into the higher volumes that i need...

A speaker change in the BJr makes a massive difference. I've got a cannabis rex in mine and its a big improvement.

But for what you say I think out of the two the HRD would be better. I prefer the BJr, having played both extensively, but the HRD just has the wattage and features that gigging musicians need. My gigs are for my dog. He always requests mustang sally though.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Rickjames09

jan-phillips 5751 in v1, jj ecc83s gold in v2, jj ecc83s gold in v3.
Quote by Ashe_Mc
jan-phillips 5751 in v1, jj ecc83s gold in v2, jj ecc83s gold in v3.

I agree except I wouldn't bother paying the extra for the gold ones and I'd put the 5751 in the phase inverter.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
why not the gold ones? alot of people say they sound more creamy. is that just snake oil?
Yeah, I think that's mostly snake oil. The gold ones may have slightly better quality control but i haven't had any problems with normal ones. Internally they are the same tube.
I'm actually quite keen on their ECC803's actually but they can tend to be a bit microphonic in a combo - otherwise I would have recommended one for V1.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 10, 2012,
have you tried the mullard reissues? i like those, but they are no where near nos quality.
They're ok but a bit brittle for my tastes. It's a travesty that they bear the Mullard name. Real Mullards rock. It didn't matter where Mullards were made when they were made by Phillips but these New Sensor ones aren't worthy of licking a real Mullard's boots.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I was hoping you'd poke your head in here Craig. I spoke about modding HRD's and I know you've done it.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I replaced the valves to JJ's and swapped the speaker to a C-Rex. It's now a fantastic clean amp to run pedals off!
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonerider British Distortion
Tonerider American Overdrive
Boss DD7
Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker
Treble Booster.