I'm having a problem. My MXR Distortion Plus is almost completely non-functional. I still get sound when the pedal is turned off (thank you, true bypass) but as soon as I hit the switch, the LED goes on but it kills the sound. It does this whether it's running off battery or an adapter.

Anyone know what I need to be checking? Thanks.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I hate to ask and by no means do i mean this as an isult but you dont have it connected backwards do you?

Have you isolated it in your signal chain? Guitar -> Pedal -> Amp Input

Aside from that im not sure what it could be other than a bad battery connection or something of the like..
I have not gutted MXR distortion plus before but I'm pretty sure that it uses a 3PDT stomp switch. In that case the power switch to LED and signal path are isolated from each other. Most likely this means that there is an open circuit on the signal path between the board and and switch, or between the input and switch. Check if the wires between these nodes are broken or if the solder came off the stomp switch pins.
Quote by FrustratedRocka
I'm having a problem. My MXR Distortion Plus is almost completely non-functional. I still get sound when the pedal is turned off (thank you, true bypass) but as soon as I hit the switch, the LED goes on but it kills the sound. It does this whether it's running off battery or an adapter.

Anyone know what I need to be checking? Thanks.

flip the cables around. its a pretty common mistake actually.

if not that, then its the footswitch, don't listen to the guy with broken english above me though.
It could be the switch, a loose wire, something got fried, etc.
You are probably going to have to open it up and look for loose wires and/or fried components. If you don't know what you are doing it's best to have someone who does look at it. It really could be anything.