Page 1 of 2
Well, I am not really in a position to complain about the quality of my currently small, but very high quality stable of one guitar.

Which can be summed up in one photograph...

My beautiful JP6. Its wonderful, clinical, accurate and perfectly well built and feeling guitar. I was seriously lucky to land that guitar and I couldnt be happier with it. Its is the perfect modern guitar if you were to ask me my opinion. Though soon after buying it I discovered I needed something that could give me a little less "perfection" and have a bit more of a laid back feel to it. Though I was in no rush to get any other guitars.

But its always nice to have options, so when this became available I decided after playing it, this really was another one of those "special" guitars that you just find that have that something special that we can all identify with our personal favourite guitars. This guitar has "it".

I am sure you have all heard or seen me going on about this guitar so I'm not even going to bother with my usual shenanigans of long reveals or trolling descriptions. Its too simple a guitar for that...

Its a [inhales] ESP Eclipse II Standard in ACSB!!

Its about as far removed from my EBMM as possible and I am surprised I loved it so much.

Set-Neck Construction
24.75" Scale
Mahogany Body
Quilted Maple Top
Mahogany Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
Flag Inlays
42mm Bone Nut
Thin U Neck Contour
22 XJ Frets
Chrome Hardware
Gotoh Magnum Lock Tuners
Gotoh TOM Bridge & Tail piece
EMG-81s

Its pretty much a light weight hot rod Les Paul guitars. The spec are the usual high end ESP fare with locking tuners and hardware, EMGs and a very pretty quilt top and 1 piece body. Its a great looking guitar and it feels solid, as it bloody well should for a set neck, thick hunk of quality wood.

I have never owned a real ESP, I have had a few lovely LTDs and always been impressed with them, you may remember my PH600 which I adored. This guitar blows them all away and it also made the many more expensive Gibsons I compared this to. It just oozes quality like my JP6. It feels better than it looks and that is why I bought this home over a Gibson 08 Standard.

The fit and finish as you would expect is just flawless, the frets are perfect, as is the binding and hard ware quality. you cannot fault this guitar on a purely objective level. The way its put together is flawless. The finish is unblemished and the overall feel is what you would expect of a full on ESP guitar.

I am unsure of the quilts quality, I would like to think its real but its just a bit too perfect...

...But I will go with the hope its genuine.. Even if its not, its a very striking guitar and I am glad they use chrome hardware, no fading gold for me. It is just a lovely guitar to look at.

This is how I wanted the Gibsons to feel, which is also the reason I took the JDM Eclipse over the USA Eclipse. This looks like a proper Les Paul. The Thin U neck is just amazing and with the perfect fret job on this makes the neck a joy to play, the best thing this neck does is make the guitar feel like a super strat over a relatively heavy Les Paul'esque guitar.

Although it looks like an LP, it doesnt really sound like one. Its probably due to the EMGs, but even unplugged it doesnt really sound like you would expect one to feel. Its very bright and focused, with a lot of tight low end and fairly resonant high end, but never fat and flabby or piercing. Its still a clinical approach as all quality MIJ guitars are, but its a very different style to the JP6 so when you tune it down you can get a great fat, chunky angry rock tones that I just cant pull off with the other guitar I own. I will be changing out the neck pick up with a 60 I have lying around as I just prefer that to an 81 in the neck. Otherwise the EMGs will probably stay until I have enough money for another Dimazrio, then I can fit it with a CL/LF set like another user, LP_CL did with his.

I really really like this guitar, it just has something about it that I cant quite describe, its just like an LP but more. Its everything I love in a guitar and its great that I can have 2 guitars and be safe in the knowledge that I am able to get whatever tones I want from them, I know I am a guitar eater and I go through them like people go through soft drinks, but I know that others will undoubtedly come and go, but this one wont, its like my Explorer, if I dont play it any more, I will just keep it safe and enjoy it sparingly.

Its no Gibson R8 or the like, but its my ideal LP and its here to stay. I am slowly working my way towards my PRS and after that... Well I will start collecting my decent list of amps...

Watch this space.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Feb 9, 2012,
That finish looks awesome! I love quilted maple so much. HNGD!
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
very nice. HNGD.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I love the finish on the ESP Eclipse that was the finish I wanted when looking for an eclipse but found an awesome deal on a used vintage black ESP eclipse.
Screw the ESP. I want more of that JP6
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Thanks, tom. I'm seeing the DT tonight in Manchester. Hence my obsession.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Its okay that those are it for now. You've been through more guitars than the people of this forum will ever even look at in person

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
Its okay that those are it for now. You've been through more guitars than the people of this forum will ever even look at in person

trying to slow it down some

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Nice. I cant stand Les Pauls because they just dont feel right to me, from the shape of the neck to how they sit on my leg, but that's a nice one. How does it feel compared to a Gibson LP?

Btw, terrible euro prices aside, what do you have against schecters? Aside from having no personality, mine's great
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Last edited by Acϵ♠ at Feb 9, 2012,
very nice. i've always liked the ESPs i've played, they're very nice guitars.

cool colour too, it's sorta modern yet vintage at the same time

i think it might be a veneer? not certain or anything like that, but i've heard some rumours that the esp standard models use veneers over plainer maple. might be bs, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks Dave.

Yeah it may well be. But for £1399 it wouldn't surprise me if it were legit. Either way, its a very deep unique looking top so I am happy with it.

I would say the finish is pretty timeless haha

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
How the hell do you dare taking your guitars outside when it is that cold?
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Hey, I have one just like that! They are awesome indeed.
And I thought they were maple caps on ESP's and veneers on LTD's.

Congrats on the lovely axe tom!
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Yours is the reason I have one. It's my one of my favourite guitars on UG.

Quote by HomerSGR
How the hell do you dare taking your guitars outside when it is that cold?

Because I can?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
didnt like this finish at first but its really growing on me! congrats on the aquisition! thats a shame about that SLAT7 being such a letdown

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by Tom 1.0
Thanks Dave.

Yeah it may well be. But for £1399 it wouldn't surprise me if it were legit. Either way, its a very deep unique looking top so I am happy with it.

I would say the finish is pretty timeless haha

oh yeah of course. it certainly might be legit (and i hope it is )

Quote by LP_CL

may well be so

i guess, next time you change strings you could check in the pickup cavity? if you care, that is
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm a sucker for white guitars, just love them. That JP is just off the hook. I like the JP6s more than the BFRs.
Like wise, hence the JP6 over a BFR

Quote by Dave_Mc
oh yeah of course. it certainly might be legit (and i hope it is )

may well be so

i guess, next time you change strings you could check in the pickup cavity? if you care, that is

I will do, changing the neck pup out next time I do a restring.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb

what are you going for? a 60?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah going to get the 60 out of my explorer for it, I am not too keen on the 81 in the neck, just too bland.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
ah ok

yeah i wouldn't be too fussed on that either

i mean the 85 isn't amazing in the neck, but at least it's a wee bit different from another 81

don't think i've actually tried a 60, but it does get the rep of being the one to go for in the neck

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why don't you try some of the X series ones? They're supposed to be better aren't they?
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Because I have a 60 lying around and I dont really want EMGs in it forever buddy.

Quote by Dave_Mc
ah ok

yeah i wouldn't be too fussed on that either

i mean the 85 isn't amazing in the neck, but at least it's a wee bit different from another 81

don't think i've actually tried a 60, but it does get the rep of being the one to go for in the neck

The 60 is one of my favourite pickups ever, its lovely.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Yeah fair enough man. I wouldn't really want EMGs in it either! And yeah the 60 is probably the only EMG I've come across that I don't mind.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by Tom 1.0
Because I can?

So you're not worried about checked (or even cracked) finish, fret sprout or such do to sudden temperature change? I just thought it was a bit on the careless side, especially with such expensive instruments. Neither of them has nitrocellulose finish though, so you can maybe get away with it - but in the long run, it will do some damage, however small that may be.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
They have been in the kitchen over night mate so they had been acclimatised to the cold, its no colder outside that it has been inside. They are both quality instruments and yeah if I did this all the time there may be an issue, less than one minute outside after been in a very very cold room isnt going to kill them.

But I appreciate your concern buddy

Quote by Acϵ♠
Nice. I cant stand Les Pauls because they just dont feel right to me, from the shape of the neck to how they sit on my leg, but that's a nice one. How does it feel compared to a Gibson LP?

Btw, terrible euro prices aside, what do you have against schecters? Aside from having no personality, mine's great

Missed this one.

Compared to a Gibson, its slimmer, more modern feeling and generally just like an LP Lite sort of feel.

I dont like Schecter due to both ever increasing cost and ever lowering quality.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
im a fan of 60 alnico in the bridge and 85 in the neck. 60a in the neck was waaaay too bassy but maybe the normal ceramic one is different?

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

I only ever use the neck for cleans, so a nice fat 60a makes me a happy bunny

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by SYLrules88
im a fan of 60 alnico in the bridge and 85 in the neck. 60a in the neck was waaaay too bassy but maybe the normal ceramic one is different?

The regular 60 is very dark and bassy as well. I really prefer the 85 over the 60 for the neck.

Tom. I might have to put that on my list for myself.

Don't know if I want a 3 knob or 4 knob version though...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
man that quilt looks awesome.

HNGD
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Tom 1.0

The 60 is one of my favourite pickups ever, its lovely.

nice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks dave

Quote by Offworld92
The regular 60 is very dark and bassy as well. I really prefer the 85 over the 60 for the neck.

Tom. I might have to put that on my list for myself.

Don't know if I want a 3 knob or 4 knob version though...

Got to be the 4 know JDM variant, the US models just look a bit odd to me. Its the cutaway...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by LP_CL

+1.

i think that's the cap there bro.

gorgeous singlecut.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Page 1 of 2